Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I am in my 7th year of teaching full time and I am not sure it ever gets easier. I have gotten better at knowing what I can let slide, though.

Teaching is my second career. I think the thing about teaching that is so hard for non-teachers to understand (and I certainly didn't understand this) is that you need to be ON and ready to go the minute the kids walk through the door, and there is often little sacred prep time during the school day. Many of my preps end up being meetings. Most parents have 9-5 schedules so I communicate with them before 8 am or after 8 pm. Teaching has no real hours. The other piece that I didn't really understand is that no matter how great of a teacher you are, the opportunities for a salary payoff are nil. If I were a doctor or attorney, my hard work and willingness to go above and beyond might result in a bonus or a raise, or a promotion. That doesn't happen to teachers. I make only slightly more (maybe $2000 more) than I did when I started, and I am at the top of my salary potential because of my level of education. My salary will never really allow me to throw money at things like childcare or weekly housecleaners or take-out. All that said, I love my job so I make it work.

Things I have done to preserve my sanity (with marginal success):
    -I have stopped responding to emails after school unless it is an issue that existed and was being worked on throughout the day. So, unless it is an emergency, the parent who emails me a question at 5 pm has to wait until the next day. Ditto to staff members (again, unless it's an emergency).
    -I started a class Instagram account and post pictures daily but I do NOT send out whole class communications about everyday things like what we are up to in language arts. If you want to know what's happening in my classroom, you have to join the 21st century and get an Instagram account. While this is an adjustment for some parents, they end up loving it because I post a LOT of photos.
    -I use Teachers Pay Teachers for things like morning work - every day my kids start with a challenging multistep math problem. They get a week's worth at a time, and keep it in their binder. I photocopy a month's worth of morning work at a time, so I dedicate zero mental energy to this part of my day. (happy to share some of my fav sellers there)
    -I have a Super Teacher Worksheets subscription - worth every penny for HW.
    -Sometimes I will post things about my personal life on our Instagram acct. - not confidential stuff, but a photo of my kids doing their HW and the caption, "Wow! Algebra II is no joke!" - this helps my families remember that I have a family, too. It connects us, and also helps them be a little more understanding if it takes me longer to respond to an email. I truly believe that having a family makes me a BETTER teacher.
    -I have housecleaners once every two weeks. I started this at the end of last year. It's $125 every two weeks and totally worth it even though we give up other things to do it.
    -We have breakfast for dinner a LOT.
    -I never eat lunch in the teacher's lounge. I work through lunch every day.
    -Sometimes a five minute phone conversation will be better than an endless string of emails, especially if the conversation starts with, "I have to pick up the kids from art at 1 pm, but wanted to touch base."

Having been in the same grade level at the same school for 7 years (and living in district and having kids of my own) has given me a good deal of credibility and I won't lie - that helps. I have many students that are my second or third sibling from the same family and that helps, too. I am very lucky in that respect because I can cut to the chase because the families know me well.

This job is MUCH harder than people realize. Hang in there. You are not crazy for thinking it's hard.
    Last edited by Green_Tea; 10-21-2018 at 05:44 PM.
    Green Tea, mom to three

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with GreenTea. I’ve been at my school for 15 years now, so I have a reputation there. I know what I can cut back on and what is important. I often have siblings of former students, so parents know me and know what to expect. I am at the bottom seniority wise at my school so I still get bounced from grade to grade, but Teachers pay Teachers is my go to. The amount I’ve spent over the years is ridiculous. Easily over $1000 dollars, but it makes my life easier.

My DH is also a teacher. We can’t afford a housekeeper, but do what we can. My house may not be showcase perfect, and laundry may sit in baskets longer than I’d like, but it is what it is.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Do you think part of your adjustment is simply not working to working? I just increased my hours from sort of full time to real full time and it’s been a major adjustment to me and everyone in the house!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Yes to this. It took us a long time to adjust to me working full time. We were all used to me doing things that I no longer had the time for. We’ve got a better balance now.

There were things I thought DH couldn’t do (get DS if sick from school, take DS to Dr appointment) but he has been able to do these things. It’s simple, DH likes the extra salary and benefits from my work, there’s less pressure on him as he’s not the sole earner. For me to work full time, he had to start doing some things I usually did.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This has been an interesting thread and it is scaring me! I have a master's in a science field that is generally low pay (lower than teachers around here), has too many people, and is hard to find jobs. I had one of those jobs, but I left to have kids 13 years ago. Eek! I have since been trying to decide what to do as a second career. For a variety of reasons, I have settled on teaching at the HS/MS level. This has not been a rash decision! I do need to get a teaching credential. Over the years, I have hesitated starting a program due to the workload many of you have described. I also tend toward perfectionism, so I know it will be hard to balance my family and the job/students and what they deserve. The program I will attend is 3 semesters worth, 1 semester prereqs and the other 2 classes and student teaching. I completed the prereq semester a year ago. I spent 40hrs/week in classes or doing homework. It was tough! The next 2 semesters will probably take a minimum of 60 hours/week. My boys are older now and my DH works from home so we are ready. I know the next year of school plus at least the first two years of teaching will be incredibly difficult. I find it unfortunate that this is the state of affairs. Even getting the credential is time consuming and there is no real way to do it part time. Anyways, I appreciate all of your thoughts.
    DS1 2005 and DS2 2007

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just want to say I have little tears in my eyes reading your post, Green Tea. I'm a PhD scientist and over the years I have spent a day here and there teaching in my daughter's classroom. I have never been more exhausted than the days I come into my kid's classrooms! I do hard field work up to my armpits in creeks, walking sideways on a hillslope in the rain, teaching college students and running labs. Never more tired than that full day teaching 1st graders! I honestly am just blown away by all the hard work teachers do. My DD is taking Algebra II this year and while she will never love math passionately, she is getting it and I just seriously want to hug her teacher.

Please know that we parents value your hard work so much, and wish you were always paid and treated accordingly. I feel like public school teacher is the most important job in our society. Thank you thank you thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    I just want to say I have little tears in my eyes reading your post, Green Tea. I'm a PhD scientist and over the years I have spent a day here and there teaching in my daughter's classroom. I have never been more exhausted than the days I come into my kid's classrooms! I do hard field work up to my armpits in creeks, walking sideways on a hillslope in the rain, teaching college students and running labs. Never more tired than that full day teaching 1st graders! I honestly am just blown away by all the hard work teachers do. My DD is taking Algebra II this year and while she will never love math passionately, she is getting it and I just seriously want to hug her teacher.

Please know that we parents value your hard work so much, and wish you were always paid and treated accordingly. I feel like public school teacher is the most important job in our society. Thank you thank you thank you.
    Thank you so much. I really do love being a teacher. Like parenting, it's not easy but it's amazing.
    Green Tea, mom to three

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post

^^^ This!

Like Squimp, I'm not a teacher but last year I was able to carve out the time to help with DD's Girl Scout troop. Only 1.5 hours, twice a month, but man those were tiring afternoons! Fun, but tiring!

OP, a friend of mine who is a HS English teacher, was just recently raving to her teacher friends on FB about this blog https://davestuartjr.com/ and his book https://smile.amazon.com/These-Thing...vs0d9d9b0RgKIM. IIRC I think one of the things was knowing what to spend time on, and what to let go. Not sure if it fits your field but thought I'd mention it.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2