Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Will be buying tix today.

I'd do the usual, pay of debts, secure college funds for my kids and nieces/nephews, travel, another house where DH is from. Both my parents have passed away so I'd take care of their brothers/sisters (although I might have to go into hiding from a couple of them lol), and MIL/FIL. Charitable donations, start a foundation although I don't know what the focus would be.

Last night I also decided I'd buy the New England Patriots. But Bob Kraft probably already has this much money so that seems unlikely.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Its funny to see the people who think they would still work at their current jobs if they were billionaires. LOL.

I would:

1. obviously pay off all of my debt.
    2. Buy a new house that was awesome (I dont need it to be a mansion, but just NICE), sell my existing home.
    3. Pay off debt for my MIL, in-laws. My parents and brother already have no debt.
    4. I'd pay to have my parents house completely renovated. They can afford this themselves, but never pull the trigger.
    5. Take a trip for a month to Bora Bora.
    6. Buy a place on Cape Cod to live during summer months - June- August.
    7. Buy a condo somewhere in the Caribbean, probably Grand Cayman.
    8. Set up trust funds for my kids. Enough for college, a house, a good living
    9. After my initial purchases I would put the rest away and live on the interest, take 3 nice vacations a year.
    10. I'd give some to charity, just not sure what yet. Maybe higher ed scholarships?

Oh, and I'd definitely quit my job I hate working!!!
    Last edited by khalloc; 10-22-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I didn't buy a ticket last time but might this time if I'm out. But DH bought one last time

1. Pay off house (both houses as we have a rental, and sell the rental)
    2. Pay off cars and CC debt
    3. College account for my kids plus niece and nephews
    4. Get all the therapies I have wanted to do/try for DD1
    5. Pay houses/debt for 3 brothers
    6. Buy a lake house for the whole extended family to use for vacation
    7. Buy a lake house just for our family
    8. Buy hunting land for DH
    9. Buy new truck for DH
    10. Set up/build a special needs time home in our area for semi independent living
    11. Money for kids wedding and money for future
    12. Take a vacation to Europe
    13. Buy a boat
    14. Money to our local special needs school and the Autism society
    Promoting inclusiveness from within the special needs community
    "Just Include Everybody"
    includestephanie.com
    Stephanie's Shirt Shop on Facebook and Instagram

Mom to
    DD1 7-3-05
    DD2 7-5-07
    DS1 3-23-10

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DH said he would not stop working but would go into consulting. He laughed and said I would hate having him underfoot everyday.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    Its funny to see the people who think they would still work at their current jobs if they were billionaires. LOL.
    I know you can never predict how life would change if something like this happened, but I have a lot of reasons for thinking I would keep working (though I'd cut out the overtime!).

1) I love my job
    2) My job is flexible enough that I can easily get good amounts of time with my kids
    3) Most importantly, I NEED my job for my mental health. I do not do well when I am not working. I need to structure to my day, I need the balance in my life, I need my work friends, etc. I'm often home either not working or working from home during the summers. That is enough for me to know it isn't for me.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I'd hope my family would use a fair bit of it for a really nice funeral because I would have a heart attack and drop on the spot.

I haven't thought much beyond the basics. Definitely pay of our debts and sell our current house. It's really only a half step beyond a starter home and needs a ton of updates. Give me a mansion. We'd do the same for our siblings and parents. And I would finally buy a BRAND NEW vehicle. I've only every had used. lol

I don't think either one of us would keep our jobs. We like them, but meh. Plus, DH's is fairly stressful.

Someone mentioned it above, but I do think about who would come out of the woodwork. Distant family members, long-lost "friends." Which reminds me, I have a spin-off question.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It seems like most of these things are things you would do if you won a few millions, not 1.6 billion.

I have no idea what I would do with 1.6 billion but no way I would be able to continue to work. I’d have a target on my back. I would really struggle with not ruining my kids’ lives and making sure they turned out to be productive citizens without the drive to work for a living.

I’d love to buy a couple mansions and get them decorated all just so and have a staff to keep them spotlessly clean. But gosh, 1.6 billion is so big it’s hard to even donate that to anyone who would know what to do with it.

I’d be really afraid of leeches and money managers who may try to take advantage of a person who suddenly came into that much wealth. It would be hard to know who to trust.

I would love to win a few million though!

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    DH said he would not stop working but would go into consulting. He laughed and said I would hate having him underfoot everyday.
    It would drive me nuts to have DH home. He was working from home this summer and I barely survived. Our entire marriage he has gone to work at the crack of dawn and come home at 7:00 leaving me to do what needs to be done on my own. I was so not used to having input on the day to day. I will volunteer full time when he retires!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

We bought 2 tickets last week & will probably buy 2 this week. Besides the normal buy or build a newer house & pay for kids college I would hire a personal chef & every other day housekeeping. I would donate a lot to my alma mater , get awesome football seats & travel travel travel. I would buy a ski home in Breckenridge & give money to CASA & other organizations that help children in the system.
    Last edited by Octobermommy; 10-22-2018 at 04:52 PM.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I would figure out how to get a community center with a pool and activities for teens built in my town. I love where we live, but having a community pool would be a huge bonus.
    Kris

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast