Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Yeah, there's always articles about it really being a curse. People more often than not ending up broke, stressed and friendless.

There is a couple geographically near-ish to me that won 9-figures (nine! just typing that boggles my mind....). I don't know them at all, but by all appearances they've done well with it. They donated a lot to the (small suburban) town for needed businesses and the school and school athletics. They are interviewed on TV occasionally and seem super normal. It's been more than a few years and I never hear anything weird about them! I work with people from their town and while they don't know them either (they always come up in conversation at big lotto times), they would know the gossip at least and there doesn't appear to be any.

My aunt was part of a work pool that won low 6 figures (if that last # would have hit.....$$$) They each ended up with like $15k or something. Still she said the poor person holding the ticket was a hot mess the night it won. She didn't know what to do with it overnight. She was terrified of wrecking it or whatever. Can you imagine holding in your hands something worth $1.6 billion!! I'm not sure how I'd function. The paranoia would be so intense.

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post

My aunt was part of a work pool that won low 6 figures (if that last # would have hit.....$$$) They each ended up with like $15k or something. Still she said the poor person holding the ticket was a hot mess the night it won. She didn't know what to do with it overnight. She was terrified of wrecking it or whatever. Can you imagine holding in your hands something worth $1.6 billion!! I'm not sure how I'd function. The paranoia would be so intense.
    CNN has an interesting story about the do's and don'ts of office pools and the responsibility the "leader" has. As a cautionary tale, it mentions hairstylists who went in together. One of the numbers hit and the leader claimed that was a ticket she had brought separately with just her money. *side eye*
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    CNN has an interesting story about the do's and don'ts of office pools and the responsibility the "leader" has. As a cautionary tale, it mentions hairstylists who went in together. One of the numbers hit and the leader claimed that was a ticket she had brought separately with just her money. *side eye*
    Yeah, we haven't done one in my office for awhile. But, when we did, the guy scanned all the tix and emailed out the copy to everyone before the drawing took place. I think he left a paper copy up at reception as well.

There'd have been no lying about it.

Money really doesn't make people do crappy things!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2