Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Desperately seeking food ideas

What's on your list for dinners this week? I'm in a serious rut and need to come up with ideas that are kid-friendly. In a perfect world, they'd eat what my husband and I do, but we're just not there yet so I'm looking for ways to mix it up and keep interesting, and of course, healthy. I'd love to see a list of what you're having.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I feel like that a lot. But chicken teriyaki usually does the trick for all of us! Cube up some chicken breasts and saute, steam some broccoli and or other veggies, put them together, pour soy vey over it, and mix. Put over rice, and we're all happy!

Another winner is baking some chicken tenders, and putting pizza sauce and cheese on top to make it parm.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ideas:
    Lettuce wraps
    Grilled chicken sandwiches
    homemade sloppy joes
    homemade chicken nuggets served with mashed potatoes
    stuffed shells
    mac and cheese
    brown rice, broccoli, cheese casserole
    chili
    breakfast for dinner
    ham and cheese crepes with a bechamel sauce
    sesame and peanut butter noodles
    soup
    shepherd's pie (surprisingly popular! i use Alton Brown's recipe)
    eta- I love Pioneer Woman's pizza crust! There's no kneading and the dough is ready to use in 2 hours. Though the recipe says it's better out of the fridge, we find it a lot easier to make it and use it right away while still at room temp- it just stretches better. I put out a variety of toppings: pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella, pepperoni, sliced onions, maybe sauteed onions, fresh mozzarella sliced thin, basil, grilled chicken, bacon, olive oil and Trader Joe's garlic sauce. My go to combo is olive oil over the crust, garlic salt all over, sliced mozzarella and veggies. It is so good! We assemble 1 at a time on pieces of parchment paper. I use my pizza peel to slide them onto our pizza stone. I always heat the oven/ pizza stone to 450-500 degrees about 20 minutes before use so crusts get nice and crispy. We have a nice system going for make your own pizza night.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 10-23-2018 at 12:48 PM.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post
    I feel like that a lot. But chicken teriyaki usually does the trick for all of us! Cube up some chicken breasts and saute, steam some broccoli and or other veggies, put them together, pour soy vey over it, and mix. Put over rice, and we're all happy!

Another winner is baking some chicken tenders, and putting pizza sauce and cheese on top to make it parm.
    I was just going to suggest chicken teriyaki. I recently made an IP recipe that my extremely picky DH liked! https://lifemadesweeter.com/one-pot-...cken-broccoli/
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Argh, following... we are in great need for new kid friendly meals... resorting more and more to pasta, chicken tenders, chinese food, and tacos. The tacos are becoming their favorite.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Mon - BBQ chicken, mac and cheese, veggies
    Tues - Chicken with rice, beans, fresh guacamole
    Wed - Pork chops with apples, roasted veggies
    Thur - ravioli, steamed veggies
    Fri - out for dinner

Most of the time I don't have a plan for the week, but I'm trying to get better. This week, I actually have it together.
    sunday was costco ravioli with roasted red peppers made in the air fryer
    monday was cheeseburgers on the grill
    tues - skinnygirl chicken with deconstructed guacamole
    wed - spaghetti & meatballs
    thurs - dumpling soup

I’ve got Crockpot Steak Bites going for tonight. Will serve with mashed potatoes.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

I do homemade chicken fingers dredged in flour, then egg, then Panko and pan fried in a little olive oil. (The recipe is in _The Mom 100 Cookbook: 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her Back Pocket_) We all love them! Turkey burgers are another win. I use plain turkey meat but season with garlic powder and Lawry’s season salt. Roasted chicken and roasted turkey breast are winners. The kids eat the meat plain, but I can do fun things with the leftovers for DH and me. The following are some dinners my kids will eat that DH and I also like, though there’s usually some adaptation at the plate (like refusing to eat the mushrooms but picking out the meatballs!)

https://www.skinnytaste.com/turkey-m...-or-stove-top/

https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-...yaki-stir-fry/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rac...Francese%3famp

https://www.skinnytaste.com/sicilian...all-casserole/

My problem is my two children like different things. DD likes sweet, so teriyakis and apricot glazes and the like are winners for her. She loves apricot chicken and teriyaki glazed salmon. My son prefers spicy, so he’s a taco guy. I often cook for DH and me and have things like plain chicken or turkey taco meat that they can eat. I just got too tired of having to eat only the things they like!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post

My kids love soy vey teriyaki too! I usually cook it in the instant pot. I toss in chicken thighs, add some sauce plus a bit of water to get near the 1 c liquid minimum for pressure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast