Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Recommend your washer and dryer set

Our dryer died (tumbling but not heating) and while we are waiting for an appliance repair person to come look at it, I am doing some preemptive research. Our current set is 35+ years old and other than the fact that it has a small capacity by today's standards and few options, I love it because it is FAST (30-min for a heavy wash cycle) and gets clothes clean. What would you recommend? I would like to stay in the $600 range per appliance. I want another top-loader as our laundry room is small and narrow.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

x
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    Our dryer died (tumbling but not heating) and while we are waiting for an appliance repair person to come look at it, I am doing some preemptive research. Our current set is 35+ years old and other than the fact that it has a small capacity by today's standards and few options, I love it because it is FAST (30-min for a heavy wash cycle) and gets clothes clean. What would you recommend? I would like to stay in the $600 range per appliance. I want another top-loader as our laundry room is small and narrow.
    We just had the same issue. We bought a LG dryer for $750. We bought from a local place and they recommended the LG for a few reasons particularly to stay within my budget. These are front loaders though.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    x

We just had the same issue. We bought a LG dryer for $750. We bought from a local place and they recommended the LG for a few reasons particularly to stay within my budget. These are front loaders though.
    Thank you! Did you buy through Gerhards by any chance? That's where I was looking (we have had good experiences with them in the past).
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    Thank you! Did you buy through Gerhards by any chance? That's where I was looking (we have had good experiences with them in the past).
    I did. Jeff Gerhard was my sales guy this time. I have never had him/seen him before at my local store. I swear they have furnished every appliance in my house the past year. Everything is breaking!! I will say that I price checked the price of the LG he suggested. It was $50-100 cheaper at Gerhards than everywhere else. He also suggested a Whirlpool but liked the LG better and the LG was $100 less.

Electrolux. It’s been several years now and they are still great.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Recommend your washer and dryer set

We have a Speed Queen top loader (prior non water saving version that is now 6 years old), and a base model Electrolux gas dryer and are happy with both. The only negative for the Electrolux is the size, it is very deep and almost didn’t fit in the space we have for our dryer. I would however buy an Electrolux front loading washer if we ever have to get rid of our Speed Queen (we are moving in two years and have no clue what our wash area will be able to accommodate). We have had our Electrolux unit for almost 7 years and have no issues with it.

Electrolux does make a space saving set if you do need that.
    https://www.electroluxappliances.com...ne/EFLS210TIS/
    https://www.electroluxappliances.com...rs/EFDE210TIS/

Check the Yale Appliances blog as well for repair records.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 10-23-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I got the fanciest electrolux set a couple months ago and loooove them. I have them stacked. They are actually some of the more compact front loading machines on the market - relatively small front to back and allow essentially zero clearance. We had a very tight space to fit them into, and this is the only brand that allows the washer door to reverse. Clothes are super clean because of the premixing it does and cycle times are fine - I haven't had a top loader in decades but these are about the same as my prior whirlpool.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I feel like there was just a thread on this within the last 3 weeks so you night want to check for other answers. We got the Lg recommeneddd by wirecutter and are happy.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just got a Kenmore set, and I cannot recommend it. They both make me nuts -- the washing machine takes forever to start once you turn it on, and sometimes randomly doesn't start at all, so you come back to put your clothes in the dryer only to find that they never actually got washed (I have now trained myself to stand there watching until the machine finally decides to fill with water.
    Takes about 3 minutes after you push the start button). And the dryer both takes forever and senses badly, so again, you start the machine and come back two hours later to a cycle that ended without actually drying the clothes.

I don't remember the model numbers, but we went for the largest capacity we could find. It is nice that I can wash my king-sized comforter, but I'd rather be able to press "start" and have the machines actually do their jobs.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I recently bought a Maytag Bravos set. Mine were around $700 each but I got the largest capacity they had for each. Washer is a top loader without agitator and takes longer than I would like (60-70 minutes), but it is so huge that I can wash about 3x the amount than my previous washer so I am doing less loads. The dryer is also huge and it is fast. Clothes dry before washer is finished.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast