Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
Imho if someone is willing to pay $15k in rent for a place they will be out of the place when they are supposed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It happens a lot regardless of price point because people get stuck when they need a bit more time, but not enough time to justify a lease. It is virtually impossible to find a house or even an apartment here for anything less than 6 months in a safe area. I’m sure there are month-to-months in areas I wouldn’t want to be. Say the person needs 1- 2 more months and like OP, the LL has no desire to extend the lease. The only option is to go to a hotel or jump around VRBOs (I’m assuming they already have their items in storage since it sounds like OP's bakehouse is furnished) or find another rental and sign another 6 month lease and be on the hook for the extra months of rent there. Compare that to if they stay put, the LL has to give notice requirements before he can even file an eviction suit. So by the time LL files an eviction suit and the tenant needs to respond, the tenant is out and the issue is over. The Tenant only has to pay a little more than the rent he would have, but nothing compared to the expense of the other options.

BTW, I know it is all relative, but 15k for approx. 6 months of rent for a lake house sounds very reasonable.