Default My children on my last nerve

Honestly, we are traveling to Italy for DD's school tour--its a big deal, we even pulled DS out of school to go along for 2 weeks. I am ready to shoot them. They are tired, cranky, and ANXIOUS!!! and because I am the one doing all the planning, they are asking me questions every 5 minutes--what happens when we walk here in the airport? Do we go through customs, get our luggage, what is the next 5 seconds of this trip going to be like. aaarrrrrggggh. And nobody really slept on the way over. It is 1:30 in VENICE--I have wanted to see this place forever. What am I doing? Sitting in the flat while DH gets sandwiches for lunch because the children are dead and will not move. I am seriously considering leaving them in the apartment and walking ACROSS THE STREET to see a Basilica and an art museum. I cannot wait to drop DD off with her tour group so she can hang with her friends and we will see every other day or so. GAHHHHHHHHH

Breathe, tomorrow will be better, tomorrow will be better.......

And yes I know this is a first world problem and I should be grateful that I am here. But I think i will be more grateful once everybody else gets with the friggin program!!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hang in there. I always find the first day of big vacations difficult and full of crankiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(1) finish a bottle of water
    (2) leave kids in hotel and head to wine store. They will fill up your water bottle with wine (direct from a barrel with wine). White is better in Venice.
    (3) drink the wine and feel better

Sorry your kids are driving you bonkers. Mine do the same thing when traveling (how many minutes will it take?).

Venice is a truly amazing, one of a kind city. I lived there for three months when I was a grad student. It’s great fir kids to run around because...no cars and lots of bridges.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh. Get outside without the kids. I love georgiegirl’s advice. But for me, walking without my kids helps me adjust and recalibrate. Your kids are pretty old. You and your DH could just leave them for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I always bribe my kids with a hunt for sweets on vacation. See if you can find a grocery store to sample some local candies. Look for a bakery and sample several desserts. Hunt for the best gelato. You can squeeze in a basilica or museum between sweets!

Dh and I toured the Basilica, roused the kids and headed to the meet up place. This involved a gondola/traghetto ride across the canal-COOOL. And the best part? Watching a Dachshund puppy play with a French bulldog in St. Marco Square :-) 2nd best part? Handing DD over to her tour group. And the third?? DS is passed out cold, I am 3/4 way through a bottle of wine, on the internet and happy!!! Bed soon. Deep breaths.........
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I always bribe my kids with a hunt for sweets on vacation. See if you can find a grocery store to sample some local candies. Look for a bakery and sample several desserts. Hunt for the best gelato. You can squeeze in a basilica or museum between sweets!
    Yep. I have found when DH and DC's start to get cranky, we head to the nearest place that serves anything chocolate for DC and coffee for DH. Give them 30 minutes to recharge with chocolate and/or caffeine and all is SO MUCH better !

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Enjoy the rest of the trip, the food and wine will be wonderful!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk