Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Pay to Play high school sports - what does that fee cover?

Our high school is not pay to play and they are always promoting that as a great thing. DS1 is a freshman and will try out for the bowling team. It has a total cost of $225, but there are fundraisers to help cover that. The kids are bused to away matches (6), the lane fees are covered, and they get uniform shirts. As far as I know that is the only cost, other than personal equipment.

I don't know what any other sport has for fees. Marching band cost us about $300 for 4 nights at camp and the uniform shoes and cleaning deposit.

I know a lot of schools are pay-to-play with a general fee of $300 or so (around here) for the entire school year, but I'm not sure if that means it covers all the costs of the sports or if there are still extras. I'm just curious if pay-to-play ends up costing more or less overall.
    Kris

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It's not a thing at our school. Never heard of it, in fact. Our school district is very financially diverse and a great proportion are not financially secure- so many kids qualify for free/ reduced lunch that everyone gets free lunch (and breakfast and dinner). So, that would never fly. Kids are given everything they need to participate in activities and sports. If there are extras, like shoes for marching band, they will work with you on that. For swim team, we hold a concession stand and that pays for a variety of things like banquet and team gifts but the school pays for uniforms, busing, officials and everything else needed.

Trips are extra and they do provide many fundraisers to help cover those so all kids can come. A portion of all proceeds from fundraisers, concession sales and others (10%) goes into the general fund for our marching band. Trip fees are covered out of that for kids who need extra help.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Dd is just starting her first high school sport; swim. I guess we fall under the pay to play category, but not sure, given the fee? It is $185, and I still needed to buy a bathing suit for practice, goggles, and the school logo bathing suit for meets. She will be bused one way to meets (all relatively local), but I pick up. For free and reduced lunch, the fee is reduced to $50 and it says to contact the coach if there is difficulty paying for the school logo suit. Also, swim lasts about 3 months.

Although its not a sport, she also does band and they take a big trip every 2 years, and also travel with sport teams when/if they go to championships or playoffs, which they are. I don't have to pay anything for the championship/playoffs, but will pay for the trip; there is supposedly fundraising and we'll see how that goes.
    Last edited by JustMe; 11-09-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

In Ann Arbor, it's $265 per student for "pay to participate" (I guess someone got mad when their kid never actually played in a game?). $15 for club sports.
    https://www.a2schools.org/Page/8079

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    In Ann Arbor, it's $265 per student for "pay to participate" (I guess someone got mad when their kid never actually played in a game?). $15 for club sports.
    https://www.a2schools.org/Page/8079
    Is that the entire fee then? All other things are covered? I"m thinking it's a wash for us. I'm going to pay fees, it's just not labeled as "pay to participate", which what I think most are called.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    It's not a thing at our school. Never heard of it, in fact. Our school district is very financially diverse and a great proportion are not financially secure- so many kids qualify for free/ reduced lunch that everyone gets free lunch (and breakfast and dinner). So, that would never fly. Kids are given everything they need to participate in activities and sports. If there are extras, like shoes for marching band, they will work with you on that. For swim team, we hold a concession stand and that pays for a variety of things like banquet and team gifts but the school pays for uniforms, busing, officials and everything else needed.

Trips are extra and they do provide many fundraisers to help cover those so all kids can come. A portion of all proceeds from fundraisers, concession sales and others (10%) goes into the general fund for our marching band. Trip fees are covered out of that for kids who need extra help.
    Free or reduced lunch have lower or no fees, too.

It sounds like your school is pretty great! Our trips for band are extra too. NYC is in April and about $1100/kid. DS1 chose not to go.
    Kris

Our school district started this last school. Athletes in middle and high school are charged a $45 fee per year, and it's per year, not per sport. According to the website, it helps cover the costs of athletic supplies, transportation, insurance, coaching supplements and more.

You can fill out a form to have the fee waived. I assumed if a kid qualifies for free/reduced lunch, this is probably waived.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We had a $100 fee for high school volleyball, it included the jersey. 36 kids on 3 teams, so only $3600. You buy your own shoes, spandex, knee pads. They had nice buses and coaches are paid, so clearly the school pays for a chunk of the costs. There might be a way to get reduced fees but not sure how that works.

It is not called "pay-to-play" here but all HS sports have fees. Club sport costs are an order of magnitude more, so HS seems like a bargain comparatively.

It's $200 here. My son ran cross country, so for him it included uniform and bus transportation to/from all meets. I don't know if the coaches make anything or not, but there were a bunch of coaches. About 150 kids on the XC team each year. But it's the same fee for other sports as well.

There's not an across the board fee for the year, but nothing is really free. Just our freshman year and we haven't done a sport season.

Marching band was $350 as a freshman (I think it will only be $250 next year assuming his shoes still fit).

Each theater production is about $50 - but not required - the items are itemized out as show shirt, before show meals, and suggested donation for the "free" parent night. Plus tickets for additional performances.

So far every activity has made it clear there are fundraising opportunities where funds can be directed to a student specific account. As well as reduced fees for those in need. We have the means and I do not have the patience for most of the fundraisers. So I write checks and donate items as asked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast