Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default College Help from the BBB- provide your insight into a specific school

So I'm sure any newbie is probably wondering why so many posts are about college, well, so many of us joined around 2003 and our kids are now either in college or applying, how crazy is that??? I never thought I'd still be here posting!

There is a wealth of information on this board that has been so helpful across many subjects.

I wanted to suggest that if folks are comfortable, list the college you have first hand experience with either as a parent/employee/student in the past (you don't have to say specifics, just name the school if you want). Sort of like an AMA on reddit.

I'll go first-

I went to U of Vermont and DD is at U of Illinois (I know a lot of kids on the BBB are looking at engineering and U of Illinois has a great reputation for engineering).

I live in the town where Illinois State U is located, and have quite a few friends who are faculty there in various departments as well as living in town.

It may be helpful to others if they want to contact or ask questions. You can be vague in your connection, but I think it's nice for folks to ask questions from someone who is familiar with the town/culture etc.
    Last edited by mom2binsd; 03-13-2022 at 05:25 PM.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default College Help from the BBB- provide your insight into a specific school

I graduated from San Diego State in 1999 with a BA Telecommunications and Film. I was initially admitted as a transfer to the BS program of Television, Film, and New Media however due to program impactions I decided I didn’t want to spend another year to year and a half in college so I switched to the BA program. The TFM program still exists, but has formed it’s own school with the Theatre department, and there is a major in production, and one in critical studies (which didn’t exist when I was there) and a minor in TFM. San Diego State is a big school (one of the largest under graduate populations in California) with about 31,000 undergraduates but sometimes it didn’t feel that way. I lived on campus when I was there but there were a lot of commuters. It also has a reputation for being a party school but TBH you make it what you want to make of that title. San Diego State is known for engineering, television and film, journalism, business, social work, and criminal justice. I am sure there are more, but that is what came to mind.

I previously went to Sacramento State, which was much smaller population wise and had a more commuter school vibe. They are known for their business, government, criminal justice, engineering, BS-Nursing, and computer science programs. My DH got his BS I Mechanical Engineering here in 2000 and one of the things that a recruiter told him was that they liked getting students from that program because it was a more hands on program and the students were ready for real world jobs vs. a more research based UC programs. No idea if that has changed in the last 22 years but DH had no problem finding a job right out of college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-10-2022 at 12:39 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I don't have any insight to share but just wanted to say thanks for starting this! We are in the thick of making a college decision. My DS has it narrowed down to University of Delaware and Penn State. His intended major is actuarial science. At UD that is in college of arts and sciences. At Penn State it's part of Smeal College of Business. We had our admitted student tour of UD. Penn State admitted student tour is coming up though I think he is leaning more towards Penn State even before the tour. If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them! It's a ton of money and a huge decision.

Thanks!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

It's been a long time, but I could answer general info for Michigan Tech.

DS1 is still deciding from a number of schools for engineering, but not Tech. I think he's more caught on prestige than I imagined he would be. He's kept Michigan on his list, even though he really doesn't like the winter and wasn't fond of the split campus. We are doing another visit next week, so we'll see what he thinks. He liked the Alabama campus better, but I think he thinks giving up Michigan for Alabama is a bad idea. I think we might visit there again as well.
    Kris

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Great idea!
    I went to 3 different schools for undergrad and that was a long time ago so I don’t have too much to offer about that, but DS is a junior and we are looking at Christian colleges now. I read this article the other day and thought it was good!

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...MdjTyWhc5UueQ0
    K

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I can give perspective on the NY public system and many of the NY privates. I have personal connections with higher ed folks across the country and so if I don't know an answer to a question about a particular college/university, I know someone who knows.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I went to University of Wisconsin (obv) in chemical engineering. It's been a while, and I stay home with the kids now, but I could have general answers. I saw actuarial science mentioned upthread, so I'll throw out there too that DH majored in actuarial science at Michigan.
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I went to USC for both of my degrees, (as did DH and my sister for their bachelor's, and my mom worked there for 10+years). Contrary to popular opinion, we have no idea if DS1 will get in there (we're awaiting the decision) despite these connections... And frankly I'm not certain if it's a fit for him anyway but I'm trying not to project my stuff onto him.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

I went to NC State (business) as did DH (engineering) but that was back in the stone ages! We still live in the general area though so I can definitely answer questions along those lines. I also have a degree from UNC but was an adult student so my perspective on Chapel Hill is a bit different.

We are just getting into the college path for DS1. This board has already been a huge help in where to even begin. It's hard to believe most of us have been hanging around here for most of our parenting days but I'm so grateful for it!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I can give perspective on the NY public system and many of the NY privates. I have personal connections with higher ed folks across the country and so if I don't know an answer to a question about a particular college/university, I know someone who knows.
    Just sent you a PM

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast