Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

[QUOTE=KpbS;4418723]Great idea!
    I went to 3 different schools for undergrad and that was a long time ago so I don’t have too much to offer about that, but DS is a junior and we are looking at Christian colleges now.

I live in California and I graduated from Biola University (undergrad and grad degrees). My husband and father are both Biola grads too. Currently my daughter (10th grader) is planning on attending but that may change as she starts visiting other schools. What Christian colleges is your son interested in? Many of our friends' kids go to Biola, Westmont, and Wheaton. I've heard Wheaton was hard for the CA kids due to weather--very different from CA but they liked the school

I went to William and Mary undergrad, Cornell for my Pd.D. and Pitt for law school (and one year of grad school at NYU before moving upstate.). So a wide variety of type of universities in a variety of locations.

We are looking into CA schools for DD, specifically the Claremont McKenna colleges and USC. (I’m from So Cal and my dad went to USC undergrad and MBA and taught there adjunct for 20 years or so.)
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I went to University of Michigan for undergrad (history/english) and law school.

DD is currently at Bryn Mawr College (also taking classes at Haverford through the consortium system they have).

Georgiegirl - my DS who's a junior just toured William and Mary last weekend and liked it a lot. He's just starting to actually tour schools now that hockey season has ended.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I earned a BA (English) from Rutgers - New Brunswick, but before they gave me the best financial aid, I swore I was going to attend Fairleigh Dickinson. For the record, I didn't actually apply to Fairleigh; they're a private university and my dad told me only apply to public schools. (Both of my parents attended Fairleigh and my mom earned her BSN from Fairleigh through an accelerated program for degree-holders. She went year-round starting in 1990 and earned her degree in May 1992.)

My brother Ger attended the County College of Morris, then Ramapo College, before finishing his degree through Thomas Edison State College (a nontraditional distance-learning school for adults.)

My SIL attended Columbia University (Columbia College) in NYC.

My sister left William Paterson after a year; she has yet to decide whether or not she wants to finish her degree.

DH earned his BA from Monmouth University; he's the only person in his immediate family to not attend Rutgers.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I went to William and Mary undergrad, Cornell for my Pd.D. and Pitt for law school (and one year of grad school at NYU before moving upstate.). So a wide variety of type of universities in a variety of locations.

We are looking into CA schools for DD, specifically the Claremont McKenna colleges and USC. (I’m from So Cal and my dad went to USC undergrad and MBA and taught there adjunct for 20 years or so.)
    Such a wide variety. Dd1 really liked USC. She doesn’t want anything too small so I have a feeling the Claremont Colleges will be out even though they are a consortium and there are about 5000 undergrads total, but not sure if she wants to go that small or be that close to home. She also really liked LMU, and Cal Poly SLO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

University of Wisconsin for undergrad and University of Iowa for grad school.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    It's been a long time, but I could answer general info for Michigan Tech.

DS1 is still deciding from a number of schools for engineering, but not Tech. I think he's more caught on prestige than I imagined he would be. He's kept Michigan on his list, even though he really doesn't like the winter and wasn't fond of the split campus. We are doing another visit next week, so we'll see what he thinks. He liked the Alabama campus better, but I think he thinks giving up Michigan for Alabama is a bad idea. I think we might visit there again as well.
    Sending you a PM

My daughter is a freshman at Boston College. She applied Early Decision (ED), which was binding. I wasn't sure of what she was doing, but I let her make the final decision. We had never even visited Boston before! She was accepted ED, and was over the moon. I was still not so sure. She went over 3,000 from home, and after losing my husband less than year before she was accepted, I was worried about her being so far away (for both of us).

She went random with her roommate choice. Again, me- not so sure. Her- totally confident. Well, she loves all of it SO much. She is truly in her happy place. She is super active and has joined a lot of fun clubs, does intra-mural soccer, volunteers (one of the reasons she chose BC), and is busy and over the moon happy. She LOVES her "random" roommate. They are so well matched, it's just wild. They are having the time of their lives. They flew out to Santa Cruz to join me for Spring break (with me this whole week- don't want to take them to the airport this weekend, lol), and I am ABSOLUTELY sure that her choices were 100% the right choices for her.

I feel like I learned so much throughout the process that started just a couple of months after my husband died unexpectedly. I would be happy to answer any questions about the entire process. I think the bottom line is that in order for our kids to be able to go off on their own for college, most of us have to let our kids start making decisions that we might be questioning. It's a tough one in the best of times, but during Covid, it was really even more of a challenge, I think.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

[QUOTE=mommytoalyssa;4418791]
    Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Great idea!
    I went to 3 different schools for undergrad and that was a long time ago so I don’t have too much to offer about that, but DS is a junior and we are looking at Christian colleges now.

I live in California and I graduated from Biola University (undergrad and grad degrees). My husband and father are both Biola grads too. Currently my daughter (10th grader) is planning on attending but that may change as she starts visiting other schools. What Christian colleges is your son interested in? Many of our friends' kids go to Biola, Westmont, and Wheaton. I've heard Wheaton was hard for the CA kids due to weather--very different from CA but they liked the school
    I’ve heard of Biola, but don’t know anyone local who has gone there. We live in the middle of the US. We know folks at Covenant College, Union, and Calvin. Friends are headed to Wheaton and if DS ended up there, he’d be a 3rd generation Wheatie.
    K

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default College Help from the BBB- provide your insight into a specific school

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post

I’ve heard of Biola, but don’t know anyone local who has gone there. We live in the middle of the US. We know folks at Covenant College, Union, and Calvin. Friends are headed to Wheaton and if DS ended up there, he’d be a 3rd generation Wheatie.
    Biola (short for Bible Institute of LA) is in La Mirada, California. It is right on the northern central border of Orange County and Los Angeles (I always forget if it is in Orange or LA County). It is in a nice middle to upper middle class neighborhood so it is crazy safe. It is close enough to LA that I am sure the school does group outings to LA and it is 10 minutes to Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm. It is about 20-30 minutes to Long Beach and Newport or Huntington Beaches in Orange County. It must have a big alumni network because I saw Biola alumni or Biola University license plates all over the place when I lived and worked in the general area. My friend’s daughter is a freshman there this year. Due to Covid and my moving I haven’t spoken to my friend in a while so I don’t know why her daughter chose it, but I honestly saw her picking a larger school like University of Utah (she has family in Utah and her parents went to school there plus she is a dancer and one of the top ballet schools is in SLC). My friend is Greek Orthodox so the Christian part must have been an important choice for her as well.

Another Christian option is Cal Baptist University in Riverside. I have friends (or their family) who work there and really like it. A lot of local kids go there and they have a wide variety of majors, plus sports teams (basketball is big there). It is not on DD1’s list (yet) as it is too close to home (three freeway exits away), but for a private university their tuition and room and board is reasonable and less than an out of state UC tuition with room and board. I also believe they give a lot of merit aid and scholarships. They also have a pretty high acceptance rate. The general area is nice and a popular residential area in the city of Riverside(Magnolia Center/Arlington neighborhoods).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-11-2022 at 01:10 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast