Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Weird question about keeping cash at home

I've never really been a 'cash' person. With the war overseas and Russia being one of the main countries where hackers come from, I'd like to start keeping cash in the house. But I worry about loosing cash or I guess breakins? and frankly, one of my dog's favorite snacks is cash.

So how much cash is reasonable to keep on hand during these times?
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I generally keep about $500. I’ve been caught without cash when I really needed it. I keep $100 in my wallet at all times and $400 at home for whenever cash is needed. I replenish when I run out. The thought of keeping more than $500 at home makes me uncomfortable.

I’m not a cash person but have resorted to keep 50-100 bucks in my wallet to pay for gas. Sometimes I get caught out being low on gas and near gas stations that historically have been known with credit card fraud, and prefer to pay cash at those places. I usually kept some on hand for those odd school days PTO events, etc but now all fundraisers have switched to vemno. As well sports payment too.

As far as keeping cash cuz of political overturns in other countries, I never have felt the need to. But do keep 300-400 on hand in my fire proof safe to pay for my bi monthly house cleaner as she only takes cash. And for repairs or deliveries needed payment comes in handy. But I also live in an area where power outages is common, at least 1-2 a year. Just enough to pay for gas to use grill, gas for generator, for our cars and maybe one night of payment at hotel if cc machines are down to process payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Weird question about keeping cash at home

I rarely keep more than $200 in cash on me and tbh that is only when myself and DDs need haircuts. Our hairdresser takes Venmo now at her new salon but I just pay cash as I just got in the habit of getting cash. Most times I have less than $50 unless we are on vacation then we might a few hundred. When we had a house cleaner I would keep her fee in cash at home. I pay for most groceries, coffee, and fast food or convenience type meals (Panera, Subway, Starbucks, and some local chains) with gift cards (DD2’s school fundraises using a script program). I write a few checks for sports fees and had a plumber who still took a check last summer otherwise I use Venmo or Zelle, but prefer Venmo over Zelle unless I really know the person.

In parts of the US there are ethnic groups who are prone to home invasion robberies because these people keep tons of cash in their home. This was sadly common in a few areas in Sacramento when I lived there. Ironically I don’t hear much about home invasion robberies in my area of So Cal.

ETA: we have a large safe in our garage and I have never thought to keep money in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-17-2022 at 12:04 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Pretty much $0. I currently have a $20 in my wallet. Can’t remember the last time I went to a bank or ATM. In the summer we tend to keep a bit more on hand to pay for corn or other farm stand products. There isn’t anything I can’t use credit or Venmo for.

Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I was thinking about asking this too! Currently, just a few hundred and that’s out of convenience (I get as much as I can when I go to the ATM so there’s cash around for the kids’ school stuff). But I’d feel better with quick access to more. $1-2k, maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

chlobo is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Before the pandemic we regularly kept cash on hand for those occasions when cash would be more convenient. Ever since the pandemic, it seems like most places are happy taking a card, even for small purchases so we've fallen out of the habit. We do still keep maybe $100 or so on hand.

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If you don't already have one, you could think about getting a small fire-proof document safe. We keep crucial documents, passports, and a little backup cash (in $20's) in there. Mostly it helps us keep everything together and accounted for!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

We keep about $500 in all sorts of smaller denominations. We are in an area that was hit hard in Superstorm Saturday and plenty of our local businesses couldn't process credit cards for days afterwards, or were doing cash only because they had no power. We felt the smaller bills helped because we could pay in almost exact amounts and give the businesses some smaller bills to use for change.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

About $500 in mixed denominations in the same fire-proof lock box we keep our passports and other important documents in. For all of the various reasons mentioned above.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast