Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Add me to the list of mehs. I use mine downstairs but find the hose a pain in the butt. Because of that I store the Dyson we previously owned upstairs and use that upstairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I worked for people who had one. The hose was much more of a pain then just using the regular vac. However - they did have a little kick plate in the kitchen; you could sweep the floor over to the plate, activate it with your foot and just sweep into it. That was cool.

DH is a real estate agent. He says that often break/clog and are both difficult and expensive to repair. Even finding a repair person to look at one can be a challenge. They are not a looked-for thing for resale, generally.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I worked for people who had one. The hose was much more of a pain then just using the regular vac. However - they did have a little kick plate in the kitchen; you could sweep the floor over to the plate, activate it with your foot and just sweep into it. That was cool.

DH is a real estate agent. He says that often break/clog and are both difficult and expensive to repair. Even finding a repair person to look at one can be a challenge. They are not a looked-for thing for resale, generally.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our house has one (built in the 90's) and we've never used it. There seems to be just one location to plug in the hose on the main floor- inside a closet that's on the central hall. The hose just looks big and unwieldy so we kept using our Miele vacuum.

When we hired our housecleaner I showed it to her and asked if she wanted to use it. She prefers the Miele too.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

Thanks so much everyone for weighing in! I didn't think we needed it and it sounds like the general consensus is that we don't!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My neighbors had one in their 1970s built home and it was a pain to deal with, but it worked great. I wouldn’t put one in a home. They were pretty common when I was growing up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We built our home 8 years ago and had a hide-a-hose system installed. We have 1 hose outlet downstairs and 1 upstairs and the hoses are long enough to reach each corner of the house. I loved it initially and used it often, but I haven’t used it for at least 4 years. I much prefer my roomba and a little handheld for quick clean ups. I definitely wouldn’t do it again, esp given the cost for a never-used item.

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I say yes to a central vac. I've had one in the few houses I've lived in and I prefer them over upright or stick vacs. FWIW, we have an open floor plan. The outlets are located in good spots, I only have to switch the hose to another outlet once (or twice if I'm getting the bedrooms). We recently did a small remodel and disconnected the central vac temporarily. Using my cordless Dyson just didn't cut it. I just don't find that the suction is as strong as the central vac. Also, the central vac hose and handle are really lightweight to me and the head swivels so easily. I find the stick/upright vacs are too cumbersome. Plus, we've never had to replace the central vac system, ours is going on 25 years. We just change out the huge bag every couple years (no pets here).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2