Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    saleenl is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I researched this a few years ago and the Barclaycard Jetblue ($0 annual fee) and Jetblue Plus ($99 annual fee) cards are chip and pin cards with no foreign transaction fees. I have used the Jetblue Plus card successfully throughout Europe since 2017 and it even worked at automated train ticket machines in the Netherlands (which are only chip and pin)!
    Boober (10/05) and JuJuBe (5/09)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by saleenl View Post
    I researched this a few years ago and the Barclaycard Jetblue ($0 annual fee) and Jetblue Plus ($99 annual fee) cards are chip and pin cards with no foreign transaction fees. I have used the Jetblue Plus card successfully throughout Europe since 2017 and it even worked at automated train ticket machines in the Netherlands (which are only chip and pin)!
    Good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Credit Card vs. Debit Card for Europe Trip?

Quote Originally Posted by saleenl View Post
    We had the predecessor to the Jet Blue Plus AmEx card for many years (and we used it at Costco before Costco got rid of their AmEx relationship) and it was a great everyday card. We never traveled with it out of the country though but I have generally had great customer service through AmEx. We didn’t renew the card because Jet Blue pulled out of our local airport (around the same time that they switched from the old bank to Barclays) but ended up getting another no fee AmEx card after a year or so of not having one. I am much more comfortable calling Amex customer service than I am Chase or Citi, but I don’t know with limited credit what the OP and her DH will qualify for. I also think Jet Blue has limited destinations from the OPs area of SoCal now so it might not be the best choice.

My Amex everyday cash card has foreign transaction fees on it, but here are some that don’t and don’t have a yearly fee (I should probably upgrade my card to the Hilton card….the deal below is a pretty good offer)

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...l-HiltonHonors

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...tail-DeltaBlue

Not an Amex card but this Capital One card was recommended by Forbes for someone with little to no credit history and doesn’t have foreign transaction fees:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credi...ds_credit_card

ETA: and for what it’s worth all of my debit cards and credit cards have a chip on them. Sorry for starting confusion on the pin thing. We were never asked to sign any receipts in Europe either.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-31-2023 at 04:16 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would never travel with just a debit card, like others said. So many places put $ holds on cards (hotel, car rental, restaurants, gas/petro, etc) that unless you have $$$ in your account, you could exceed the balance of your account. I also would not want my only source of funds to pay my other bills to have the potential to be compromised and inaccessible.

Offshoot question...those of you with minors who have traveled abroad without you, how did you give them money? Back in my day it was of course traveler's checks. DD1 will go on a European trip with school next year when she'll be 16. I hadn't thought about spending money until just now.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Default Credit Card vs. Debit Card for Europe Trip?

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I would never travel with just a debit card, like others said. So many places put $ holds on cards (hotel, car rental, restaurants, gas/petro, etc) that unless you have $$$ in your account, you could exceed the balance of your account. I also would not want my only source of funds to pay my other bills to have the potential to be compromised and inaccessible.

Offshoot question...those of you with minors who have traveled abroad without you, how did you give them money? Back in my day it was of course traveler's checks. DD1 will go on a European trip with school next year when she'll be 16. I hadn't thought about spending money until just now.
    If Apple Pay works I would add my Costco Visa to
    it. Dd1 will be 18 when we travel next year so her first credit card will most likely be one of the ones we already have. Unless I can get her own card from our credit union with a small limit that doesn’t have transaction fees. I would like her to be responsible and build credit at the same time. I had a credit union Visa card until I was in my mid 20s and we moved out of the area of the credit union and I just let the card close itself after not using it.

I think I only ever traveled with travelers checks once before I had a credit card at 18, but I never left the country though and when I did go to Baja, Mexico for a day we ate at places that accepted US cash (I think or Dh got pesos….I don’t honestly remember….it was 1999).

Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-30-2023 at 06:00 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I set up Apple Pay for ds2. We made ds1 an authorized user on our cc (since he’s over 18)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I set up Apple Pay for ds2. We made ds1 an authorized user on our cc (since he’s over 18)

Side note…I figured I would do the same but does this actually establish credit?

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Side note…I figured I would do the same but does this actually establish credit?

I think it affects it because it is available credit in his name. It showed up on his credit report when we checked it recently.
    He has a Discover card in his name only that is his credit card. But, they don’t take it in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post

It helps to establish credit with history. This is only advised if you authorize a card that you pay off balance in full monthly. Carrying a balance will hurt their newly established credit.

I plan to do the same for my kids. Will use one of my credit card that doesn’t have high limits and charge something recurring like Netflix plus whatever kiddo charge, so it’ll be paid off in full with auto payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    It helps to establish credit with history. This is only advised if you authorize a card that you pay off balance in full monthly. Carrying a balance will hurt their newly established credit.

I plan to do the same for my kids. Will use one of my credit card that doesn’t have high limits and charge something recurring like Netflix plus whatever kiddo charge, so it’ll be paid off in full with auto payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Oh yes for sure. I know how that works I just wasn’t sure if that method is the same as getting her own separate card. I do like the independence of paying on their own though and learning how payments work, and having a low credit limit to begin with.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast