gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Teenagers grrr…

I thought someone here used the phrase “soiling the nest” to describe high schoolers who are ready to move away from home and are annoying their family members. I also expected that it would end once they were in college. Nope. My college sophomore AND my rising high school senior are now doing this. Food messes, laundry messes, spending all their time with friends, irritable toward siblings and parents. Dear God, please let it end soon!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Same with my rising senior. She's been a pill for a while now, and we're enjoying a break since she's away at a thing on a college campus for a month. DH went to visit yesterday and said, "Yep, it's still good she's away for the month." I'm not expecting she's going to come back and be all sweet, so I need to prepare myself for that. It'll be a welcome surprise if it happens.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wish it was my soon to move out college freshman soiling the nest instead of my 15 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love my kids, but I feel like my DS has been soiling the best since age 4... only sort of kidding, lol.

We had a couple of good years in early middle school, but this last 6 months (since he turned 14) have been rough!
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

My just finished college freshman is doing well as far as working and getting his own meals. He pretty much keeps the mess to his room but I laid down the law with both kids and said that starting now they are to wash their own towels and sheets--and put them away. (I always did the towels/sheets in the common laundry. They do their own clothes, etc) I made a dog-walking chart that is apparently a suggestion.... I don't mind if they spend all of their time with friends. I see them a little each day and that is enough!!!! DS2 is working from 8-4 every day as a camp counselor for 4-5 year olds. He comes exhausted and more appreciative of his parents :-) I know I was a pill from 18-24 so there's that...
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    My just finished college freshman is doing well as far as working and getting his own meals. He pretty much keeps the mess to his room but I laid down the law with both kids and said that starting now they are to wash their own towels and sheets--and put them away. (I always did the towels/sheets in the common laundry. They do their own clothes, etc) I made a dog-walking chart that is apparently a suggestion.... I don't mind if they spend all of their time with friends. I see them a little each day and that is enough!!!! DS2 is working from 8-4 every day as a camp counselor for 4-5 year olds. He comes exhausted and more appreciative of his parents :-) I know I was a pill from 18-24 so there's that...
    I don’t mind the food messes if they are making food for everyone but no- they are messing up my kitchen for a small pan of enchiladas for themselves. Seriously- they couldn’t make a whole 9x13” pan to share with the rest of the family? How about offer to make burgers for everyone when you heat up the grill and start assembling ingredients? Ironing your own shirt? Great! Can you iron mine too? Especially since I’ll be the one putting the iron away after it cools down and you’ve forgotten about it. Sigh. Inside thoughts.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My rising college sophomore is pretty good at the kitchen stuff (they at least put the dishes in the sink when they are done), however, their spaces are a disaster. There is a pile of books in the middle of their floor that has been there since they came home for the summer. Supposedly they "have a plan". It's driving me crazy... I now simply shut the door.

I also keep reminding myself that come Fall, they will have to do it all on their own again. Now is a reprieve from having to be completely independent with EVERYTHING. It just helps me remember when the sink is full of dishes and their is "stuff" everywhere...

Sending hugs.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just made up a list of expectations with my 20 year old who is home for the summer after her sophomore year of college. She is driving me crazier than she did when she was in high school! She thinks she is grown and can do what she wants and we give her plenty of freedom. But wash your darn dishes and don't leave your stuff all over the house!