Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Another high school senior with an attitude

I’m talking about mine. Ds1 was a senior 2 years ago and he went through some nasty nest-soiling for the last 6 months of his senior year. But ds2? He’s been this way now since the middle of his junior year. He’s making me insane. His car is in pieces in my garage because he’s not happy with the lugbolts this auto repair place put on his tires. He refuses to carry dh’s guitar (which we are lending him) in a case because it doesn’t look good. I bugged him for 6 weeks to write his college application essays because his courseload is going to be heavy this year. I think I even posted a question here about proofreaders and tutors in anticipation. THE ESSAYS ARE STILL NOT DONE. He argues about everything with everyone. He’s always right. His sister said yesterday, “omg, mom he NEEDS to go!” His room hadn’t been dusted or vacuumed IN YEARS because he says, “it’s fine, don’t touch it, stay out.” (He’s going to be surprised when he gets back from his college visit this weekend and finds it CLEAN! Seriously, he has severe dust and mold allergies. It needed cleaning!).

And he is the laziest slob. Like it shocks me how insensitive he is. He leaves his dirty plates & silverware on my table crumbs everywhere just expecting someone else to clean it up. Nobody else in the family does this. They all know where the dishwasher is! Or at least the open sink!! His shoes are piled up by the door because he has got so many “deals” from Goodwill where he shops, that they are strewn all over the entryway and mudroom. One kids doesn’t need that many shoes. His response is always, “it’s fine, mom, they were $3.” Or ,”it’s fine mom, just step over them.” I told him not to dye his awesome Goodwill-find jeans in my garage. He does it anyway. “It’s fine mom, I’ll make sure they are rinsed good before I wash them in the washing machine.” (Admittedly, he did a good job and the dye didn’t leak on anything). But it made me so mad that he WILL NOT LISTEN. I could go on and on. He is driving me nuts. This year is going to be HARD.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 09-01-2023 at 12:00 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

It’s going to be a long year, isn’t it?

My senior DD has been super emotional and unpleasant lately. We have good drafts of her main essay, but there was lot of fighting over the summer about it. However, we are currently arguing over supplementals. UMich requires a 550 “why Michigan” type essay, and she has a 4 day weekend so I told her she needs to write a draft of that. Last weekend she took the SAT and she was completely freaking out about it. So much fun. At this point, I mostly ignore her random crying fits and impatient behavior. Thankfully she’s pretty neat, but my DS1 is a total slob and I’m beyond over it.

I think his behavior is typical. These kids are under a lot of stress and the whole “major life transition is coming up” is a lot for these kids to handle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Senior year was awful!! Just remember you’ll get through it and then they’re college freshman and will appreciate you! DS is at a nearby college in a dorm. He came home to get some things after work, which is near to us, and he asked me if I could make extra dinner for him as it will be late when he got back to college. He walked in and gave me the biggest hug. For years, I’ve been getting the shoulder lean hug. It’s only been a week of him having to adult and take care of everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 09-02-2023 at 12:41 AM.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This age think they know everything. I was honestly happy Sunday when my daughter flew back to college. We get along better when I don't have to step over her crap!

DS1 was mostly great this summer. In the last 3 weeks before we take him back to school, he is ramping up. I am DONE. He can go.

And he was a BEAST the last 6 months he was around last year. I was ready to throw him out of a fast moving car towards his dorm and just keep going!!!!!! I know his anxiety is part of the issue, but dude-get a hold of yourself.

Thoughts and prayers for all of you with seniors that act this way. it is so HARD!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh, I feel for you. I wish I had wisdom to offer but "this too shall pass" is really I have for you. The relief I feel at not having a senior this year (or next) is immense. Hang in there!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dd1 hasn’t started the essays yet. She has started the common app and finished most of the initial questions and major selections. I have explained reasons for early action (no early decision as we can’t afford to accept w/o knowing the financial aid package first) so she knows she has to have those done by mid October. Her list so far is 3 privates and one out of state university (which has no early action and a later application deadline). I am also still trying to get her to look at liberal arts college in LA that offers great aid (per the NPC) but she has still kind of brushed it off.

For the UC schools she is researching majors (in order to see if the schools have her potential major or something similar) and will have only one essay to write. For the Cal State schools there are no essays and maybe some supplementals.

Our biggest drama this year so far has been switching the school schedule (the school was audited by the State Dept. or Education and it was found they were short minutes in prior years so the 20 minute break in between the first two 90 minute block periods is reduced to 10 minutes and they no longer have 1/2 days every Friday and now have them only twice a month), and the fact that the guy she was talking to over the summer got back together with his ex girlfriend last week (because DD1 thinks it is because somehow they have all of the same classes and see each other all day long now). Last Wednesday/Thursday was hard for Dd1. What is crazy is that I could see last year that the guy liked DD1 as well (his younger sister is DD1’s good friend and tennis teammate so I saw him trying to watch DD1 play tennis last year even though he had a girlfriend) but I told her it is better to stay clear for the time being and then her BFF told her to look forward to college guys (I just laughed). The girl hasn’t liked DD1 since she and the guy first started dating sophomore year and she happens to have classes with a few of the friends so the girl doesn’t have nice things to say about DD1 (even though most of them aren’t true … per DD1 she calls her a know it all and standoffish). I can’t wait for the drama to be over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-05-2023 at 03:28 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post

For the UC schools she is researching majors (in order to see if the schools have her potential major or something similar) and will have only one essay to write. For the Cal State schools there are no essays and maybe some supplementals.

UCs require 4 essays!!! They give you 8 essay choices, and you need to pick 4. I think max word limit in each is 350. (common app essay is 650.)

https://admission.universityofcalifo...questions.html
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    UCs require 4 essays!!! They give you 8 essay choices, and you need to pick 4. I think max word limit in each is 350. (common app essay is 650.)

https://admission.universityofcalifo...questions.html
    Thanks! I hadn’t looked that closely to them TBH. Times have changed they used to require a one to page essay back in the day, and I honestly can’t remember if I typed the final essay or not.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I got so mad at dd1 this weekend that I reminded her she turns 18 in Oct and is welcome to move out then if she thinks she can do better but that this is my house and I make up the rules here - her choice is comply or leave. not my finest moment.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast