Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Oh, not cool. I would be extremely frustrated. As a veteran of many, many spirit days dressing as a nerd is not an appropriate choice. (Our middle school is actually the worst; spirit WEEKS - 8 times last school year.) As a veteran PTO volunteer EVERY child gets the candy no matter what.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is crazy!! My school does a theme day once a month, but there are no prizes. It is completely optional. Depending on the theme, I sometimes participate, but only if I already have the outfit. Pajama Day, Sports team day, Disney Day, and Star Wars day usually have the biggest participation.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a love/hate opinion on spirit days - I love to see the kids dressed up but I was never one of the parents with time, energy or money to do any of the amazing dressups. Handing out candy at school is forbidden so that would never happen.

We do walk to school days and only kids who walk get prizes but I dont think we'd deny a kid one so abruptly. Also every kid is given an opportunity to 'walk' to school. busses drop off around the corner and staff monitors the 'walk' if parents sign off on it.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I like spirit days (more than my kids, lol), but that's pretty bad. Is the principal new?
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I have a love/hate opinion on spirit days - I love to see the kids dressed up but I was never one of the parents with time, energy or money to do any of the amazing dressups. Handing out candy at school is forbidden so that would never happen.

We do walk to school days and only kids who walk get prizes but I dont think we'd deny a kid one so abruptly. Also every kid is given an opportunity to 'walk' to school. busses drop off around the corner and staff monitors the 'walk' if parents sign off on it.
    How do I get candy forbidden at my school?? They hand it out every day, for every little thing and I hate it!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    How do I get candy forbidden at my school?? They hand it out every day, for every little thing and I hate it!
    Oh, I would hate that too. Our elementary school does not allow any food to be brought in for parties, etc. so no candy is allowed to be given for Halloween, Valentines Day, etc. It was great for DS2 who has food allergies as we didn't have to worry about kids bringing in food to celebrate birthdays.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Whenever I see posts like yours, I’m eternally grateful for my kids school district not allowing candy. Even at class parties for birthdays & holidays like Halloween, valentines etc. (we do book reading with their favorite person to do reading instead)

Too many problems from allergens, food dyes to all the sugar rush in kids for teachers to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was shocked just reading the “nerd” day; it is incredibly inappropriate. The candy thing is also ridiculous- what about the kids who do not have family support at home to participate? Or are homeless? It’s all very insensitive and not inclusive.

I would consider an email to the superintendent with just the facts… there was a “nerd” day theme which made you uncomfortable and you witnessed young children being denied candy because they did not participate.

Wow, that’s awful…both the dressing up like a “nerd” and not giving kids candy who didn’t dress up.

I’m very thankful that our school really limits that sort of thing. We have a game day Friday, the day before rivalry game in my state (Iowa v ISU). Most kids have gear for that or can just wear yellow/black or yellow/red. We have several “wear your school shirt” day. But everyone is given a school shirt each year for free as part of the fun run fundraiser each September. We have a decent number of kids from other cultures and maybe 30% free lunch, and thankfully our principal is very aware that not everyone can afford it or understands the cultural significance. Our district stopped Valentine’s Day parties since so many kids came from families who weren’t familiar with valentines traditions and so the counselors ended up spending lots of time and money making sure every kid had valentines go hand out. There was so much blow back from certain parents. I was like, phew, one less thing to deal with and now I won’t have junky valentines and toys that I have to covertly throw away.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

School board policy. Perhaps lobby them? Be aware that it means NO candy/food treats at any event 30min prior to or after school. No food at class parties. (or class parties) No valentines candy etc. I'm personally good with all of that having a child with serious non peanut allergies.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2