Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default School spirit days..ugh

This is super dumb but I need to get it off my chest because it's taking up too much brain power..ha ha. Our Elementary school does Spirit Day on the first Friday of every month and they have a different theme every month that the kids can dress up with if they want to. So today was 'Nerd Day'. We got out the suspenders, plaid button-down shirt, found some plastic glasses and wrapped tape around them. In the end, My 1st grader decided it was too much unfamiliar clothing (mainly the suspenders and glasses) and just wore regular clothes. He has mild sensory issues. Whatever, I thought, dressing up is just for fun so it doesn't matter. When we got to school the Principal came out to the playground and announced that every kid dressed up a Nerd would got a box of Nerds on the way in. So then of course my son (he's 6) was upset. And I felt a little blindsided because nowhere was it announced that something could be 'earned' by dressing up.

It's just a little box of Nerds and I talked to my son about how he chose not to participate, life's not fair..blah blah blah. My son wasn't the only one upset. I even saw a little Kindergarten boy reach his hand up for a box of Nerds and the prinicpal said, "No, you don't get one. You didn't dress up." Like, lady, the kid is FIVE YEARS OLD! It's only his second week of school and you just made school an un-inclusive environment.

But why does it rub me so wrong that they rewarded kids for this? I don't know. I guess I feel like dressing up should be the reward for the kids who want to do it and otherwise it should be just for fun, completely optional, no making kids feel sad if they don't do it.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That's absolutely terrible and I agree with you. Those days should be totally optional. Not every family is resourced to provide themed outfits and as you point out, not every kid welcomes participating in such.

I hated theme and spirit days when my kids were little. And guess what? Now that they are in high school not only do they still have spirit days, but their sports teams do team spirit on game days. Some days it's just "dress nice" but today was "black out" (meaning wear all/mostly black) but they pick others like pajama day and such. THEN the varsity football games and varsity basketball games also have themes (regardless if home or away) for their student spectator section so my kids have to find "costumes" to wear to those too!! Like construction worker or frat boy or pro team jersey, you name it. Whatever happened to wearing your school colors to cheer on your school?????
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That’s crazy! How awful for an adult to refuse a child’s request for candy. Not every family has the time or resources to participate in themed dress days. Seems like another way to separate the haves from the have nots.

Wow that’s TERRIBLE. The principal should be ashamed of herself. Also having kids dress up like “nerds” is not cool at all.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    Wow that’s TERRIBLE. The principal should be ashamed of herself. Also having kids dress up like “nerds” is not cool at all.
    Okay, I'm glad you said this. My DS didn't even know what a nerd was and when I was explaining it I felt like you--why are we using a damaging stereotype for Spirit Day??
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Yes, what a poor choice for spirit day! Who came up with that idea! I would be sending an email to the superintendent.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Okay, I'm glad you said this. My DS didn't even know what a nerd was and when I was explaining it I felt like you--why are we using a damaging stereotype for Spirit Day??
    Just think of all those damaging stereotypes that haven’t yet been "retired"(some of which are probably still reflected in school mascots). They could easily put together a whole calendar of unpleasant Spirit Days… ugh! And the principal's behavior is unbelievable.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Ugh. That’s horrible! Spirit days is totally optional in my district nor anything is earned too. If it is, it’s usually spelled out on flyers, emails and such send home with kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with you! "Nerd Day" is a terrible idea for a spirit day. Not sure what the administration was thinking.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That is something I would have been extremely frustrated about too!!! Not right to effectively punish the kids who didn't dress up (I hate dress up days and have a kid who does, too!), and not okay to have a "nerd" day either.
    Lizi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast