Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Do I have unrealistic expectations?

This summer, I decided to go back to school to pick up an Accounting degree. I already have a Bachelors in another field, so I am taking as many classes as I can at a local community college before transferring to the local State University. I am taking 3 - 3 hour courses - all online this semester. I am also working as a substitute teacher so that I can have a flexible schedule to complete my coursework. I have been setting aside one weekday each week for my coursework and have time to study on the weekends as well.

My beef is with my accounting instructor who has:

(1) not answered even one of my emails,

(2) posts several short (less than 5 minutes each) Youtube lectures each week of a different instructor that has lots of misstatements and whiteboard errors AND chapter number/titles that don't correspond with the current order of our textbook,

(3) included a spreadsheet for us to download as part of a posted assignment that had all sorts of issues - multiple formatting issues (number cells formatted as text) - there were no instructions or guidance on what or how or if we were supposed to resubmit it as part of the assignment

(4) there is a section of our "online classroom" for discussion but she seems to only respond sporadically and not completely

(5) releases assignments at 11:59 pm each Sunday, so there is no way to work ahead if I need to because of scheduling issues.

(6) Conversely, sends out an announcement at 6 pm on Sunday, that seems to be her response to any emails or questions that come her way during the week (with 5 hours left to assignment deadlines),

(7) Her announcements are incredibly passive aggressive :
    "I have received a few emails about the spreadsheet in Continuing Problem Chapter 2. I have attached the file to this announcement. That spreadsheet is for your use - It helps with the journalization and ledger work as you go from chapter to chapter. I am not sure what is confusing some students it just a starting point for your own use. It helps as the problem builds - I attached the file to make it easier for you to use. " -
    If the bolded portion had been part of the assignment instructions, I wouldn't have even needed to email her except that the file is not formatted for numbers,

(8) Has her announcements set so that you can't respond in any way.

Anyway, I have already started composing my end of course evaluation in my head, but are my expectations unrealistic? My other courses are set up that I can work through them at my own pace and the instructors have been very responsive.

DS 2/09

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It's been a very long time since I took any college course but I wanted to say that this is the bitching post. You'll likely get a lot more attention and responses if you cross-post in the Lounge.

I'm sorry your instructor is making this difficult for you. If I were you, I'd be cognizant of when the final drop date is for the course in case you want to take it at another time with another instructor.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't think your expectations are unrealistic. Did you look on the Rate My Professor website before choosing your classes? I find that the feedback is good and I've avoided some professors so far based on students' comments and reviews. All of my professors so far have gotten good reviews and I haven't had any issues. I'm taking my 4th prerequisite class right now for a respiratory therapy program. My first 3 classes were online, but my current class and lab are in person. Even in my one asynchronous class last semester my teacher answered emails promptly and had weekly Zoom office hours. All my classes have had office hours and all teachers responded to my emails within 24 hours (although my last professor said she wouldn't respond to emails on the weekend, which was fine). Based on your description, I'd seriously think about dropping the class and taking it with another instructor next semester if possible.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I would recommend dropping the class if you still can.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The only one of those that seems possibly unreasonable is (5). If she's posting the assignments with a full week to work on them, and that matches what she stated earlier in the year, I think that's reasonable. If you need different accommodations (AND SHE ANSWERED HER EMAILS), you could ask for something earlier & maybe have her work with you. It's the lack of communication (and lack of paying attention to detail) that seems problematic. Is there any way to transfer to a different teacher?
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Unfortunately, because my main job is seasonal, I can only take classes in the fall and summer. I only need to complete 9 total classes at the Community College, so I can't really drop this class without impacting my planned finish date. I will definitely pay more attention to the instructor information the next time I register for classes!

At this point, I need to get over my aggravation - it's distracting me from getting things done - but seriously, I'm having to reformat 50% of her slides in order to read everything on them because her text boxes are too small for the amount of text she included. It is all so lazy and slap-dash.

Thanks for giving me an outlet!
    DS 2/09

The only one of your points that I don't agree with you on is the part about working ahead. I've taken several online courses and less than half had had all the work posted ahead. The rest would have me filing a complaint, especially if they didn't respond to emails.