Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

General Motors paid the whole price for my 240 outlet ti be installed and my electric company gave me $500 rebate for the charger itself. Which was $580 with taxes. I can take 1/3 of the cost as a tax credit, I think I might turn a profit, lol.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by div_0305 View Post
    I test drove a Tesla--whatever their top of the line model is because that's all the showroom had to offer for testing. DH and I both got major headaches after driving, but we know it's because we're not used to driving that way. My concern with getting a Tesla is the horrid reviews for the 2 closest dealerships to us. The nightmare stories and monopoly if something goes wrong are keeping me on the fence about a Tesla. And not to make this political, but that is also weighing on me.... Any of you Tesla owners have feedback on your experience with the dealership for post-sale issues?
    I honestly did not like the Tesla at all. I was in the market for a 3 row SUV and for the price of the X, it felt so cheaply made and the interior is boring. I ended up with the Mercedes EQS and I love it. The real benefit is the charging network, which apparently Mercedes is now going to be able to use with an adapter.

I thought the EV would be a pain for driving any distance but we used it to take DS to college and stopping once to charge, eat, and stretch our legs was actually pretty welcome. Maybe it’s my age. I can’t just drive for 5 hours straight anymore. That said, DS has a hockey game in Arkansas and southern MO is kind of a charging wasteland, so it probably won’t work for that. DS goes to school in WI and we have plenty of options driving up through IL.
    Last edited by smilequeen; 11-08-2023 at 07:22 PM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by div_0305 View Post
    I test drove a Tesla--whatever their top of the line model is because that's all the showroom had to offer for testing. DH and I both got major headaches after driving, but we know it's because we're not used to driving that way. My concern with getting a Tesla is the horrid reviews for the 2 closest dealerships to us. The nightmare stories and monopoly if something goes wrong are keeping me on the fence about a Tesla. And not to make this political, but that is also weighing on me.... Any of you Tesla owners have feedback on your experience with the dealership for post-sale issues?
    yeah i hear ya on the Elon part..ive really grown to hate the man in the past several years (especially after the pandemic). DH refused to buy a Tesla for that reason. But i am conflicted bc Tesla does have the best charging network. And i've been pretty happy with my 3. I've had zero issues with the service center, and for any type of very minor service i always get someone to come out to my house which is pretty dang awesome.

I kind of want to put this bumper sticker on my Tesla:

il_fullxfull.5308309381_n5oq.jpg

Love the car, hate the guy.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I did some research today after DH suggested a Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf. I guess he is no longer all that worried about the range and, after reading the responses, I too am convinced that we will use my minivan or rent for road trips. We might get DS a plug-in hybrid or EV next year. DD has a Prius, which has served her well.
    My car-obsessed brother had suggested a Lucid or Mercedes EQE (free charging for two years on their network). I don't know if DH would agree to those as he likes to maintain his sensible image
    Teslas are so popular around here and most of our friends have been driving them for years, but I just can't do it. I cannot stand Elon Musk lol I also feel skeptical about anything he's associated with after the Twitter/X debaucle though, as our Mech engineer nephew pointed out, he has a lot of smart people working for him. The funny thing is, DH wanted to get DD a Tesla in 2016-7 but I said no at that time.

We live in the SF Bay Area so the charging network is pretty good here. My main concern is long distance travel, but for now we could use the gas guzzler for those. UGH.
    If we do end up with a Bolt or leaf, I'll get a high trim level as he will probably keep this forever lol I also saw the Nissan Ariva, which seems to have a longer range.
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 11-09-2023 at 02:21 PM.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I did some research today after DH suggested a Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf. I guess he is no longer all that worried about the range and, after reading the responses, I too am convinced that we will use my minivan or rent for road trips. We might get DS a hybrid or EV next year. DD has a Prius, which has served her well.
    My car-obsessed brother had suggested a Lucid or Mercedes EQE (free charging for two years on their network). I don't know if DH would agree to those as he likes to maintain his sensible image
    Teslas are so popular around here and most of our friends have been driving them for years, but I just can't do it. I cannot stand Elon Musk lol I also feel skeptical about anything he's associated with after the Twitter/X debaucle though, as our Mech engineer nephew pointed out, he has a lot of smart people working for him. The funny thing is, DH wanted to get DD a Tesla in 2016-7 but I said no at that time.

We live in the SF Bay Area so the charging network is pretty good here. My main concern is long distance travel, but for now we could use the gas guzzler for those. UGH.
    If we do end up with a Bolt or leaf, I'll get a high trim level as he will probably keep this forever lol I also saw the Nissan Ariva, which seems to have a longer range.
    The Chevy Bolt is what I got. It's older technology so the battery is slower. But if you are like me and can charge at home it's just fine. I wouldn't recommend it for an apartment dweller who has no home charger. We took when should have been a very easy trip with room to spare but came back with only 9 miles on because my husband decided to put it in sports mode and see how fast it could go, lol. The other thing to know is if a car has a 300 mile range that will change depending on what kind of driving you do and the temp. It is also recommended that you only charge to 80-85% regularly for battery health. (it's a bit complicated and I don't understand it all.) If I am planning on taking on a trip, like to drop my son off at college) I just set it to be 100% charged at the time I am leaving and the car will adjust the charging times. But for regular everyday I don't charge to 100%

Chevy is stopping this production of Bolt, but there are a few left you can find. I lot depend on where you live. It is the best buy in many incentives for us. But I was looking at other ones also. I probably will give this to my eldest in a few years when we downsize, get rid of our ICE vehicles and get one electric that meets all of my needs. I really never want to buy a regular vehicle again.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    The Chevy Bolt is what I got. It's older technology so the battery is slower. But if you are like me and can charge at home it's just fine. I wouldn't recommend it for an apartment dweller who has no home charger. We took when should have been a very easy trip with room to spare but came back with only 9 miles on because my husband decided to put it in sports mode and see how fast it could go, lol. The other thing to know is if a car has a 300 mile range that will change depending on what kind of driving you do and the temp. It is also recommended that you only charge to 80-85% regularly for battery health. (it's a bit complicated and I don't understand it all.) If I am planning on taking on a trip, like to drop my son off at college) I just set it to be 100% charged at the time I am leaving and the car will adjust the charging times. But for regular everyday I don't charge to 100%

Chevy is stopping this production of Bolt, but there are a few left you can find. I lot depend on where you live. It is the best buy in many incentives for us. But I was looking at other ones also. I probably will give this to my eldest in a few years when we downsize, get rid of our ICE vehicles and get one electric that meets all of my needs. I really never want to buy a regular vehicle again.
    oh it might be difficult to find a Bolt. My brother doesn't recommend Nissan. Hmmm..
    Now I'm thinking maybe we buy a plug in hybrid for DS and DH uses it until DS needs it (maybe next summer or the year after). Then we have some time to wait for better technology and longer ranges/faster charging on an EV. I'm thinking plug in for DS as he will probably be moving around a lot (at least DD does) without access to home charging, but he can charge in public spaces/maybe work or grad school (or whatever he ends up doing) when possible. My mom gave both kids money towards a car when they graduated from high school- it'll cover up to half the cost- but we never got around to getting one for DS as he went to college on the East Coast.

I need to propose this to DH so let's see what he says.
    ETA: since DH is the kind who will keep a car until the DMV says it's illegal, I want to get the best possible option, which is hard when the technology is changing rapidly. Geez, he is so stubborn.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Extended range electric vehicles? Plug in hybrids?

My brother has a 2016 Nissan Leaf and he likes it; he bought it used in 2018 I think. He uses it to commute to and from work in Portland so his commute is about 30 miles per day, if that much. His car has less than a 100 mile range but for him it works out fine. There have been soo many updates in the last 9 years though so I am sure things are so much better but he did his research and bought the last before the body style change in 2017 (so all of the kinks were worked out from the first model years).

For the OP hopefully the hybrid market is better now than it was last year when my sister wanted a hybrid Corolla as they was a lot of MSRP markup and you couldn’t find one used. She couldn’t justify the insane markup on a new car just so she could say she drives a “hybrid.” She ended up with a 2019 (previous daily rental with about 25k miles iirc) Corolla LE from Hertz and she still gets about 30-35 mpg for around town driving. Her gas prices aren’t more than $4.85 a gallon though so gas is still reasonable so if your reasoning for the electric is to avoid high gas prices then the gas engine aren’t going to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-09-2023 at 05:58 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Plot twist.. dh wants to look at Teslas. He too is not a fan of Elon Musk but the mileage range is high and they have a lot of chargers. He never wants anything so if that’s what he wants we will go with it. But we are also considering a Prius prime to pass on to DS in a year or so.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Plot twist.. dh wants to look at Teslas. He too is not a fan of Elon Musk but the mileage range is high and they have a lot of chargers. He never wants anything so if that’s what he wants we will go with it. But we are also considering a Prius prime to pass on to DS in a year or so.
    I'd test out the Chevy Bolt EUV as well. We love ours.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast