Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Rose Bowl trip - help!

Kris, We usually fly LAX to Detroit on Delta. LAX is fine as long as you give yourself plenty of time. We get an Uber as it’s a huge favor to ask a friend to do pick up/drop off at LAX. I liken it to Mad Max Thunder Dome. My sister house sat for us over the summer, and insisted on picking us up. She didn’t listen to the “leave early because of the traffic” (we have to drive through downtown and then airport traffic), was 2 hours late getting to us, she got out of her car and insisted one of us jet lagged folks drive home as she was done!

Uber is easy to get. You call for your Uber, then take a shuttle from the terminal to the Uber pick up location. Going to the airport, they can drop you at the terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 12-05-2023 at 02:56 AM.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Like I said above I haven’t done Uber since they have had the ride share pick up spot (it is usually cheaper for us to drive and park for a week) but I wouldn't not book a once in a lifetime trip just because you have to fly in and out of LAX. The Delta terminal is all new now
    as well so it should be almost as easy as flying Southwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I haven’t asked my family because I realized they really did zero planning for it and wouldn’t be too helpful. I can get some “while you’re there” tips though
    Please don’t skip the trip because of either the airport or cost. It’s worth the splurge!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We ended up booking a tour that includes tickets to the game and parade, a few meals, and transportation between it all. It just seemed easier to us. We are staying near the airport (LAX), which is not typically where I'd pick, but for this it seems fine. Plus it makes the 7am flight out easier. We are just there 3 nights and really just have the 31st and 1st to do things. Obviously the 1st is pretty full. There is a pep rally thing I need to figure out on the 31st and DS1 thinks he should be able to request to be part of it, but we will see. That would be the only thing I would need to figure out transportation to.

I was able to book from Flint instead of Detroit and that makes me a lot happier on my end. It's closer, easier, and cheaper. My SIL from NH is meeting me there. She's always wanted to go to the parade, so jumped on the opportunity to go with me. We are both excited!
    Kris

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    We ended up booking a tour that includes tickets to the game and parade, a few meals, and transportation between it all. It just seemed easier to us. We are staying near the airport (LAX), which is not typically where I'd pick, but for this it seems fine. Plus it makes the 7am flight out easier. We are just there 3 nights and really just have the 31st and 1st to do things. Obviously the 1st is pretty full. There is a pep rally thing I need to figure out on the 31st and DS1 thinks he should be able to request to be part of it, but we will see. That would be the only thing I would need to figure out transportation to.

I was able to book from Flint instead of Detroit and that makes me a lot happier on my end. It's closer, easier, and cheaper. My SIL from NH is meeting me there. She's always wanted to go to the parade, so jumped on the opportunity to go with me. We are both excited!
    This sounds like a great way to go for a trip like this!
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh how fun!!! Can’t wait for the trip report

Once upon a time I had a date at the Encounter Lounge at LAX. It was worth a visit if it’s still there. Locals, it is, right?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Oh how fun!!! Can’t wait for the trip report

Once upon a time I had a date at the Encounter Lounge at LAX. It was worth a visit if it’s still there. Locals, it is, right?
    The Encounter Lounge has been closed for quite a few years now; it is the USO now and I don’t know when it is open. There has been a ton of construction at the airport the last few years so while you can still see it isn’t the same as it used to be.

Glad things got themselves worked out. Transportation wise if you are good with public transportation you can take the Metro light rail trains from the airport area to old town Pasadena for the 31st. It is an alternative to Uber and while it looks confusing it really isn’t.

https://www.metro.net/riding/schedules-2/

You would go to the C (green line) transit center (your hotel front desk will know how to get you there) and then you transfer at Willowbrook/Rosa Parks station and transfer to an A (blue line) train and exit at Memorial Park in Pasadena and then if there is a shuttle to the Rose Bowl use that or take an Uber to the Rose Bowl for the 12/31 festivities (they used to have a Battle of the Bands event which was fun and would have some tours of the float building areas so you could see the final touches being made on the floats). There are plenty of places to eat during the day in Old Town but I am not sure when it all starts shutting down to traffic (I think it is around midnight) so I wouldn’t stay that long and would probably head back early since you probably have an early wake up call for the parade. It is a fun atmosphere in the early evening hours though to see people camped out on the streets and stuff. Although we never camped my cousins, brother and I used to love walking around the old town area on the evening of 12/31.

Weather wise dress in layers…..that is a an absolute must. While they say it is 50 degrees and sunny on tv it is cold (especially at 6:30 am or whatever time before the parade starts at 8 am). You will want a beanie, at least a fleece jacket or a heavy sweatshirt and a scarf. If the high is going to be anywhere in the 50s you will need to bring a heavier packable jacket. I would wear jeans and a t shirt under your sweatshirt. Bring a zippered tote bag so you can store it all and leave it on the bus during the game (I don’t know if the Rose Bowl has a bag size limit). It won’t be Michigan or New Hampshire cold but it is still quite chilly until the mid to late morning. I would probably buy one of those seat pads as well (either pack one or buy a Rose Parade one).

Last edited by AnnieW625; 12-06-2023 at 05:16 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Yes dress in layers. MIL visited us from Detroit to go to the parade. Our seats were in the shade and she was cold. I had brought gloves, beanie and a blanket, which she thought she wouldn’t need, but she did. We went to a game a few years later and by game time, it was t-shirt weather

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    The Encounter Lounge has been closed for quite a few years now; it is the USO now and I don’t know when it is open. There has been a ton of construction at the airport the last few years so while you can still see it isn’t the same as it used to be.

Glad things got themselves worked out. Transportation wise if you are good with public transportation you can take the Metro light rail trains from the airport area to old town Pasadena for the 31st. It is an alternative to Uber and while it looks confusing it really isn’t.

https://www.metro.net/riding/schedules-2/

You would go to the C (green line) transit center (your hotel front desk will know how to get you there) and then you transfer at Willowbrook/Rosa Parks station and transfer to an A (blue line) train and exit at Memorial Park in Pasadena and then if there is a shuttle to the Rose Bowl use that or take an Uber to the Rose Bowl for the 12/31 festivities (they used to have a Battle of the Bands event which was fun and would have some tours of the float building areas so you could see the final touches being made on the floats). There are plenty of places to eat during the day in Old Town but I am not sure when it all starts shutting down to traffic (I think it is around midnight) so I wouldn’t stay that long and would probably head back early since you probably have an early wake up call for the parade. It is a fun atmosphere in the early evening hours though to see people camped out on the streets and stuff. Although we never camped my cousins, brother and I used to love walking around the old town area on the evening of 12/31.

Weather wise dress in layers…..that is a an absolute must. While they say it is 50 degrees and sunny on tv it is cold (especially at 6:30 am or whatever time before the parade starts at 8 am). You will want a beanie, at least a fleece jacket or a heavy sweatshirt and a scarf. If the high is going to be anywhere in the 50s you will need to bring a heavier packable jacket. I would wear jeans and a t shirt under your sweatshirt. Bring a zippered tote bag so you can store it all and leave it on the bus during the game (I don’t know if the Rose Bowl has a bag size limit). It won’t be Michigan or New Hampshire cold but it is still quite chilly until the mid to late morning. I would probably buy one of those seat pads as well (either pack one or buy a Rose Parade one).

Thank you so much for so many details on getting there! This is wonderful!

Thanks for the warning on weather and layers. I was totally picturing it in the 70s and sunny So if the forecast is 50 deg, how cold does it start in the morning? 30? lower? We just had our local Christmas parade and it was upper 30s and overcast. I was fine in jeans and a hoodie and knit gloves. A hat or jacket would be overkill and I'd be hot. I usually do add a jacket if I'm outside for a while if it's below 30. Today it was maybe 34 for a high and I was running errands, so mostly in the car. But I just had a short-sleeve t-shirt on and a sweatshirt jacket that was unzipped. Totally fine for the in-and-out. I'll definitely watch the forecast for the days before we leave.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Thank you so much for so many details on getting there! This is wonderful!

Thanks for the warning on weather and layers. I was totally picturing it in the 70s and sunny So if the forecast is 50 deg, how cold does it start in the morning? 30? lower? We just had our local Christmas parade and it was upper 30s and overcast. I was fine in jeans and a hoodie and knit gloves. A hat or jacket would be overkill and I'd be hot. I usually do add a jacket if I'm outside for a while if it's below 30. Today it was maybe 34 for a high and I was running errands, so mostly in the car. But I just had a short-sleeve t-shirt on and a sweatshirt jacket that was unzipped. Totally fine for the in-and-out. I'll definitely watch the forecast for the days before we leave.
    If the high is in the 50s probably high 30s to low 40s, but it will probably be in the low to mid 60s, maybe 70 (it was 80 here yesterday and probably about the same in Pasadena). Again not super cold so if you are used to being out in a heavy sweatshirt or fleece in the 30s with a hat and gloves you should be fine. I never wore shorts on New Years Day but there are some years where I probably could’ve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast