Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son applied to one college (the university where I work) and he's currently a junior there.

We live in Orange County, CA and my son applied to just one university and that is where he is now. A local, private Christian university. It has been a wonderful experience for him so far. My daughter is a senior and has only applied to one, local private Christian university--a different one than the one her brother attends. She is calling it her "safety" school" but isn't applying anywhere else. She was accepted with max. merit offered but it will still be $$$. Both my DH and I had an amazing college experience at this university so we don't mind paying more for the individualized, supportive experience we hope she will have. I went back to work full time after 21 years to pay for tuition costs for both kids. My mom did the same for me when I was 18 and I'm still so grateful and thankful.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ds plans to apply to 18. He has applied to 12 already and working on final touches for regular decision for the rest. For us, the NPC is just not a tell all as fr as how much money he will get, and so not knowing what we can expect financially is part of the reason for needing to apply to so many.

On a related note-once kids apply, do they really need to check portals daily? Do colleges send emails when there is something on the portal to check? Ds is not going to be excited about checking so many portals daily if that is what is needed.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

She applied to 8 and was accepted to all 8. We've visited 3 officially this year and have been on the campus of a couple more, but no tours, etc. We are working on plans for visits in January/February. All have parts of what she wants and she will have to figure out what is most important and what things she can live with. So far 7 of 8 are affordable. We are waiting on scholarship info from #8. A few are definite stretches, but could still work.
    Kris

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

7 - I feel like she should do more, but she's grown tired of doing them. The final ones are due Jan 2, and it's a stretch after a season of having so many concerts and basketball games taking up the month of December! We'll know better for the next kid...keep up the pace earlier in the fall before you have 6 concerts and 4 basketball games in the last 2 weeks before Christmas!

No news from any of them expected for another 5 weeks.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Mine applied to 3 and was accepted to all 3. He received scholarships to all, but chose the one he received the highest tuition scholarship and most financial aid.
    K

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

One down as early admission, 5 more to to go. We have a smaller list because it's just a smaller list of Art Schools to draw from and several got knocked off due to location. Because he was obsessing over his portfolio he only managed to do one for early admission, but that was his first choice. Although he's got his portfolio done he now feels a need to go through and add more pieces for the ones with regular admission deadlines in January. Ugh, it's like having to write 12-20 essays for each school. It's freaking exhausting to watch him stress about his art. I'm just hoping he gets admitted to his first choice (which his guidance counselor said he would be shocked if he didn't get in) and it will take the pressure off. Unfortunately it was a December 1 early admission deadly so we won't know before the end of the year.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default S/O: how many colleges did your kid(s) apply to?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    7 - I feel like she should do more, but she's grown tired of doing them. The final ones are due Jan 2, and it's a stretch after a season of having so many concerts and basketball games taking up the month of December! We'll know better for the next kid...keep up the pace earlier in the fall before you have 6 concerts and 4 basketball games in the last 2 weeks before Christmas!

No news from any of them expected for another 5 weeks.
    Then honestly let it be and of those 7 she has applied to make sure she really likes one (plus the one she is applying to currently). I had a much happier high schooler on 11/28 when all of her apps submitted. Like I said above now I am second guessing letting DD1 apply to 10 schools but you just never know. I am honestly surprised we have three answers this quick. Until we started researching schools more and the current application process I was firm on applying to 3-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 12-20-2023 at 03:08 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DC applied to 5: 2 reach schools, 2 probables and 1 safety. But their first choice was the safety. The reach schools they applied just to see if they could get in and the probables were their 2nd and 3rd choice.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Somewhere between 10-15, I can’t really remember. He had a list of about 5 that he really liked and would have gone to, and he got in to all 5 of those, so the rest were superfluous. A few schools that are reaches for everyone that he just wanted to see what happened (2 rejections, 1 waitlist). A few that were at his school and offered no application fee and common app, so easy…

My middle son will be tougher, he’s bright but his stats don’t reflect his intelligence (ADHD, anxiety, LD) so the net might have to be wider. (He’s a B student, he’ll find something, but you never know…he’ll be fine if we can find the right fit).
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast