hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default online support group for dealing with parent in cognitive decline

My mom (80) is on a steady cognitive decline. I am her primary caregiver as my sister lives a plane ride away. We are moving her to a CCRC/place that will allow her to age in place and has memory care support (she does not need that yet). I am interested in any places that might have a support group (like a facebook group maybe or other online community) that you might suggest. thanks
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know of a group, but we are navigating that right now. Two things we learned the hard way: (1) watch for UTIs and push for screenings, especially if they seem more mentally "off". Many mental health crisis events were UTI related. (2) advocate for assessment and if appropriate, medication for anxiety. MIL's decline didn't slow, but her mood returned to much closer to her baseline. The decline created a lot of anxiety. Addressing that was key.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Reddit has an aging parent group. I read it sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The Alzheimer's Association (alz.org) has info about support groups for caregivers. When my mom was in her decline the support group my dad found through our county's alzheimer's assoc. was a great help to him. I went a few times also, as well as to my own therapist.
    The groups I went to were in person but I bet since the pandemic there has got to be more remote options. There was always a Facebook page too.
    DD
    DS

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    The Alzheimer's Association (alz.org) has info about support groups for caregivers. When my mom was in her decline the support group my dad found through our county's alzheimer's assoc. was a great help to him. I went a few times also, as well as to my own therapist.
    The groups I went to were in person but I bet since the pandemic there has got to be more remote options. There was always a Facebook page too.
    We also found the in person Alzheimer's Association groups and workshops helpful many years ago when we were caring for my grandmother. I would check them out -- they may have online resources too.

My friend recently moved her mother to a memory care center and attends group meetings and workshops provided by the center for family members. Your mom's facility may offer similar support.