Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Recommendations for Kona Hawaii in Mid Feb?

We're going with DH's parents and siblings and spouses for 6 days/5 nights in honor of his parent's 50th anniversary. The siblings have driven most of the conversation so far. They've gotten us lodging in 2 condos (6 in each 3 bed condo) and we also have booked two minivans for our group. So far, the only excursion we have is a swimming with manta rays thing that we're all signed up for.

I gotta say, this is already looking differently than my two prior trips to Hawaii. Both of those were in Maui and our resort was right on the beach and had a bunch of really nice swimming pools. I was sad to see that our condo is a 20 minute walk to a beach and pools that apparently we have the rights to use (remember that we're sharing a car with two other couples!) But this is mostly because I think nearly all I did on those trips was swim in the pools/beach so maybe the big island is different in this way?

I'm starting to get a little worried for this trip! Thankfully it is going to be affordable. So far we've paid less than 2K for everything. I like everyone on this trip a lot with a huge exception for one SIL who is just super hard to deal with. I'm sorta nervous about that. As luck would have it, she's in our condo! BUT I'm now finding that I'm in the position of sinking a (relative) lot of money into a trip that I'm getting increasingly less excited about.

So two questions. One, what would you recommend to do on the big island near Kona? I would love to know more so that I can be a voice to contribute to what we're actually going to be doing!

And two, how do you handle extended family trips! I'm already wishing we'd just sprung for our own car. I think I'm going to be doing a lot of 20 minute walks to the beach, lol.

TIA!

Where exactly are the condos? There is a lot that is “near Kona.” Any opportunity to visit Volcanoes National park? We are going in July so I’ve been looking into things. DH has been 2-3 times before.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Yes! One SIL has been talking about Volcanoes! I want to go with her and I know DH would want to as well. Apparently the two BILs that "know stuff" think it is too far for a trip of our length but I think I'll see if we can take at least one of the cars so we can go do it! What I'm discovering is that people enjoy all kinds of different stuff on vacation and what one person might not think is worth it (cough, staying ON the beach or driving far to a National Park) other people love! My BILs are big snorkelers and adventurers. Which I think could be fun too?

I don't know the exact area. It is near the Mauna Lani Beach Club if that says anything.

ooh. I meant to ask about footwear for hikes as well! I have regular flip flops and I have hiking boots and of course running/walking shoes. I was thinking of getting some waterproof trail runners? But my SIL is saying hiking sandals are better for Hawaii. What do you hike in? Also, I think most hiking sandals are sort of ugly and I don't see myself wearing them much, lol. So do you have recommendations for cute and/or cheap hiking sandals? I would love to add some trail runners to my wardrobe so I kind of hope those work.

TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Yes! One SIL has been talking about Volcanoes! I want to go with her and I know DH would want to as well. Apparently the two BILs that "know stuff" think it is too far for a trip of our length but I think I'll see if we can take at least one of the cars so we can go do it! What I'm discovering is that people enjoy all kinds of different stuff on vacation and what one person might not think is worth it (cough, staying ON the beach or driving far to a National Park) other people love! My BILs are big snorkelers and adventurers. Which I think could be fun too?

I don't know the exact area. It is near the Mauna Lani Beach Club if that says anything.
    We are staying in the exact same area. There are nice beaches within a 5-15 min drive. Hapuna beach is super nice. Does your condo come with Mauna Lani beach access?

Yes, Volcanoes will be far. We are staying there for a few nights at the end of our trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    ooh. I meant to ask about footwear for hikes as well! I have regular flip flops and I have hiking boots and of course running/walking shoes. I was thinking of getting some waterproof trail runners? But my SIL is saying hiking sandals are better for Hawaii. What do you hike in? Also, I think most hiking sandals are sort of ugly and I don't see myself wearing them much, lol. So do you have recommendations for cute and/or cheap hiking sandals? I would love to add some trail runners to my wardrobe so I kind of hope those work.

TIA!
    For volcanoes I would thing regular hiking shoes would be fine. But walking on lava area near the beaches or in streams, shoes like keens are really good. I know they aren’t very attractive, but mine are comfy and great on those types of surfaces. Big island has more lava rock than Maui.

DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

andie16 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We just got back from an amazing week on the Big Island. We spent 5 nights in Kailua-Kona and 3 nights in Pahoa.

We did not do a lot of just relaxing on the beach, but I don't know what I would have taken out. The island is aptly named and it takes a long time to drive between towns. I'm happy to share a detailed itinerary if you want, but for now will just hit a few highlights:

Manta Ray Night snorkeling - unreal!
    DS and DH would say golf - they played twice
    Hike at Pololu Valley - this was a long drive - I'd say an hourish from Mauna Lani; short, but very steep hike - beautiful views (but this can be said for so many places on BI)
    Volcanoes National Park - we did the Kīlauea Iki crater hike (took about 2.5 hours moving fairly slowly as I'm recovering from hip surgery)
    Drive from Kona to VNP - we hit Southernmost point in U.S., Punalu'u Beach (black sand, sea turtles), Punalu'u Bakery (malasadas) **We did not have to drive back to Kona bc we spent the next few nights in Pahoa. We also didn't do the hike the same day we did the drive bc we didn't have to. The first day we just went to some of the overlooks in the park.
    Beach morning at Waialea Beach (right next to Hapuna, which was packed while Waialea was not) - older DD enjoyed some sun, younger DD and I enjoyed the shade; easy in/out for snorkeling

andie16 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    For volcanoes I would thing regular hiking shoes would be fine. But walking on lava area near the beaches or in streams, shoes like keens are really good. I know they aren’t very attractive, but mine are comfy and great on those types of surfaces. Big island has more lava rock than Maui.

We wore sneakers to hike. At the beach we had water shoes, but we still had to navigate the lava rock with bare feet when we snorkeled bc we carried the fins to the water. I think all of us ended up with some minor cuts on either hands or feet as we climbed in/out.
    Andrea
    dd 19
    ds 16
    dd 13

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The Pololu Valley hike is spectacular and not too far from that area (it's at the far northern tip of the island). The area around Captain Cook (south of Kona, so about an hour the other direction) is beautiful, fantastic snorkeling and you can visit Kona coffee farms. Going to Volcanoes would be a very long day, but it is beautiful and surreal. If I were to ever go back to one Hawaiian Island, it would definitely be the big island!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    We are staying in the exact same area. There are nice beaches within a 5-15 min drive. Hapuna beach is super nice. Does your condo come with Mauna Lani beach access?

Yes, Volcanoes will be far. We are staying there for a few nights at the end of our trip.

Yep! We'll have access to the Beach Club. Glad beaches are close! I've always been ON the actual beach before in Hawaii. Is it worth the cost savings to have to drive there? I guess I'll be able to make that determination when I get back!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast