Thread: South Africa?

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default South Africa?

DH and I are going (no kids) to South Africa later this year. We'll spend time in Cape Town and surrounding areas (including wine region), and then head up to Kruger area for a safari.

Anyone been and have tips to share? A search of old threads says a few people have, but I couldn't find anything specific. TIA!
    Lizi

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've been to South Africa twice but never to Kruger. I can share that Cape Town is magical, I love Table Mountain, the Bo Kaap neighborhood, Boulder Beach with all the penguins, Cape of Good Hope and of course you must visit Robben Island. (For Table Mountain, take the cable car up and resist the urge to hike it - it's way more intense than it looks!) CT has some GREAT shopping and food, really cool jazz clubs and music scene. I love the store Mungo & Jemima, check it out if you can! Are you going to Stellenbosch or wine country right by CT? You'll have a great time!

for Sandy Hook

Following! We are going this summer with kids and I'd love any little tips possible. I'm slightly worried the weather won't cooperate at all but we'll make the best of it. We head to Sabi Sands for our safari after Cape Town.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I've been to South Africa twice but never to Kruger. I can share that Cape Town is magical, I love Table Mountain, the Bo Kaap neighborhood, Boulder Beach with all the penguins, Cape of Good Hope and of course you must visit Robben Island. (For Table Mountain, take the cable car up and resist the urge to hike it - it's way more intense than it looks!) CT has some GREAT shopping and food, really cool jazz clubs and music scene. I love the store Mungo & Jemima, check it out if you can! Are you going to Stellenbosch or wine country right by CT? You'll have a great time!
    Hooray! I'm really looking forward to it. Yes, we have a few days planned for Stellenbosch/Franschhoek (if you have specific suggestions for wine country I'd love them, I haven't researched this part much yet), then we'll finish our Cape Town area days off down in Hermanus -- hoping to catch the start of whale watching season.
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Following! We are going this summer with kids and I'd love any little tips possible. I'm slightly worried the weather won't cooperate at all but we'll make the best of it. We head to Sabi Sands for our safari after Cape Town.
    So exciting! It's hard because you can't get the "best time" for both the Safari and Cape Town at the same time of year, but given the choice I think I'm happy to have the "ideal" weather for the Safari part! We're going in summer too (well, summer here, I assume that's what you meant), so catching South Africa winter. I'm just aiming to put together our Cape Town/Cape area schedule flexibly, so we can flip around what we're doing as needed based on weather. Let's stay in touch and share tips as we plan!
    Lizi