Default Universal Studios Orlando: Is this Worth It?

Hopefully you all have more Universal Studios knowledge than I do.

DD and I are in Orlando over Presidents' Day weekend for a sports competition. We have an open day and would like to do a park - preferably Universal Studios. But it's a busy holiday weekend and I'm not sure how bad the crowds will be. I checked into the express pass but it feels silly to spend $800 to have a day in the park. We did WDW the last few times we've been down there, including Presidents' Day weekend and Spring Break last year so I know how to handle those parks but we'd like to try Universal this time. Will we spend our entire day in lines and regret it? Or have fun no matter what?
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You can try single rider lines. They aren’t always running but they’d save $ and give you shorter lines?
    Or, book a room at Hard Rock, Royal Pacific or Portofino Bay because they include Express Passes- even if you have other lodging it could be cheaper than buying express passes out of pocket. Not that it helps you, but that 1 night at the hotels gives you 2 full days of EPs so it’s really a big money saver most of the time.
    Anyway, we’ve done Universal as a family and the kids have gone as part of marching band trips to FL. They rank Universal/IOA as their favorite parks, above any Disney park. So, I think it’s worth it. I’ll make the day more expensive for you too and say that park to park tickets are also worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would not turn down a day at Universal. I would book a room at Hard Rock to get Express Passes since the travel is already paid.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree with others...book one of the resort hotels to get the EPs. We've been to US during holiday (xmas time) and it was armpit to armpit crowds and I cannot imagine not having EPs.

BTW we will be in Orlando that weekend for sports tourney too!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We're there that weekend too for our h.s. performing arts kids at Disney. Luckily we arrive earlier in the week so looking forward to hopefully smaller crowds. Last year we were there Pres. Week and it was so crowded! Just when things could have died down crowd wise, there was a race weekend that brought in even more people at Disney. I
    ll pack my patience again. I regret that we have no Universal time on this trip. I know my ds2 loved the coasters there!

I think you all have convinced me! Maybe we should stay at Universal instead of the event location. Unfortunately, we can't take advantage of the 2 days of express passes due to travel but I'll ask the other mother/daughter pair doing the park with us what they think.

Hearing others just within this group say they have events that weekend makes you realize how it gets so crazy. Orlando has certainly captured the youth activity market.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl