Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Update in OP Wisdom teeth removal scheduled

What supplies (food, drink…) should I have on hand for my college kid? He’ll have anesthesia and I’ll accompany him.
    I had mine out a gazillion years ago and that was my one and only experience with this so calling upon folks with more current info. The handout they gave us has some basic info but always happy to hear more.

Update
    All went really well! They did nitrous oxide to start then put in the IV for anesthesia. It took less than 30 minutes and the Dr. said he did really well. The anesthesia wore off 2-3 hours later and he was pretty groggy until then. He kept up with his ice, Tylenol/Ibuprofen and all that other good stuff. I bought the wearable ice pack recommended in this thread and it worked great.
    His biggest complaint is hunger. I pureed an empanada and mashed potatoes last night and that was a hit.
    Thanks, all!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 03-05-2024 at 11:31 PM.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD just had this.

What I did:
    Got soft foods I thought she would like including mashed potatoes, soups, pudding, jello.

What I wish I would have done:
    I wish I would have picked up the meds ahead of time. I didn't realize I could have and I always hate that trip to the pharmacy after a surgery or dr. visit.

Gotten frozen corn or peas. I did end up digging some frozen corn out of the freezer but it was just luck that it was buried in there. We wrapped two baggies of the frozen corn up on each cheek with a thin scarf. She looked like an old timey cartoon toothache patient! It worked though.

Day 3 was the worst for pain just like the papers said. We never did the opioid, just ibuprofen. She didn't want to take any opioids and got really freaked out at the idea. I encouraged her to try to see if she could manage with Advil but if it was unbearable I would have given her a stronger pill if she agreed. Unfortunately, her older cousin overdosed just a few years ago from fentanyl and his issues all started from being prescribed oxy as a teenager after a minor surgery.
    Day 4 she felt much much better.
    She had it done on a Thursday and she could have gone back to school Monday but it was a day off.

She followed the directions and everything healed up fine with no issues.
    DD
    DS

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Agree with all the soft food, bags of frozen peas/corn etc. The big thing to remember is that they can't use a straw!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    What supplies (food, drink…) should I have on hand for my college kid? He’ll have anesthesia and I’ll accompany him.
    I had mine out a gazillion years ago and that was my one and only experience with this so calling upon folks with more current info. The handout they gave us has some basic info but always happy to hear more.

We just got soft foods. Pudding, yogurt, choc milk, soft ice cream, etc.

He did not take any of the rx pain meds, OTC was fine. I believe my daughter took 1 or 2 of the rx pain meds, but my son barely had pain - I just made him take them for the swelling and to stay ahead of it.

Make sure and read the timeline of when they can last eat/drink. My son thought it was only food he had to avoid, so he had water when he woke up. They had to delay his surgery by 30 minutes or so when he said he had had water.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Thank you! I’ll hit the grocery store soon.
    Another question- should I expect him to sleep a ton after? His girlfriend is coming to stay at the same time (I think she wants to help him). We love her and have no problem with this plan. Just wondering though if for 2-3 days I’ll be entertaining her while he sleeps. It’s possible she might come up a few days post surgery but I’m mentally planning for her to be here the whole time.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Thank you! I’ll hit the grocery store soon.
    Another question- should I expect him to sleep a ton after? His girlfriend is coming to stay at the same time (I think she wants to help him). We love her and have no problem with this plan. Just wondering though if for 2-3 days I’ll be entertaining her while he sleeps. It’s possible she might come up a few days post surgery but I’m mentally planning for her to be here the whole time.

My son was literally fine the next day. A lot of his guy friends went through it this summer and this last school break and they all managed so well. Like were out and about with friends right away. He had to be reminded to NOT eat "normal food", to not use straws.

My daughter did have more pain and had a harder time sleeping, but she'd have been a-ok to have friends over.

My son's recovery was so much more difficult than my daughter's even though they had the same surgeon/team. I guess he had to really work to get one of my son's teeth out and when he called to check in that night he said he wasn't surprised he was in so much pain. He was really swollen too. Poor kid! He encouraged us to use the Norco as I was waiting and unsure.

My daughter drank pineapple juice leading up to the surgery (something from Tik Tok?) and swears that is why her recovery was so easy. She left to the mountains to ski two days after surgery.

Orgain ready to drink shakes were great for nutrition and easy to consume https://www.amazon.com/Orgain-Organi...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

We also purchased something like this for my daughter but I wished we had extra ice packs. https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Wrap-Reu...s%2C156&sr=8-6

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommytoalyssa View Post
    My son's recovery was so much more difficult than my daughter's even though they had the same surgeon/team. I guess he had to really work to get one of my son's teeth out and when he called to check in that night he said he wasn't surprised he was in so much pain. He was really swollen too. Poor kid! He encouraged us to use the Norco as I was waiting and unsure.

My daughter drank pineapple juice leading up to the surgery (something from Tik Tok?) and swears that is why her recovery was so easy. She left to the mountains to ski two days after surgery.

Orgain ready to drink shakes were great for nutrition and easy to consume https://www.amazon.com/Orgain-Organi...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

We also purchased something like this for my daughter but I wished we had extra ice packs. https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Wrap-Reu...s%2C156&sr=8-6
    I forgot about the pineapple juice! My daughter saw it on Tik Tok too. But you are supposed to start a week or so prior (I mean who knows if it's even true). I got the juice only a few days before so she drank some and then the rest after.
    DD
    DS

Pineapple juice, mashed potatoes, whatever soft foods he likes.

DD wasn’t sleepy.

Make sure to ice it round the clock for first day
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My oldest got his out on Thursday and was good to go for college classes Monday. He also did pineapple juice starting a week before. He didn’t swell up much at all. He slept most of the day he got them out, felt 90% by the next day and met friends out. He overlooked the using a syringe to keep the sites rinsed out, but he did the swishing (I think with salt water but can’t exactly remember, maybe just plain water).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast