Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Anyone Have Info About HI Hostel on UWS - NYC?

My tiny troop of 8th grade Girl Scouts are looking into a weekend in NYC to celebrate finishing middle school/bridging to Senior Girl Scouts, and we're looking at lodging.

Getting hotel rooms that fit everyone is more expensive than we can afford, so I checked if there was a hostel we could stay in ... and there is.

We can book a women-only dorm style room (3 bunk beds) and meet the "everyone must sleep in their own space" requirement; the bathrooms are communal, but they have women-only bathrooms on every floor that should be OK as long as the girls are using a hallway to get to the bathroom and not going through anyone else's sleeping areas to get to the bathroom.

If anyone here on the BBB has stayed in this hostel, all I really want to know is: is it clean? do you feel safe there (neighborhood is fine; it's a couple blocks away from my brother's apartment)? are the staff knowledgeable/helpful? what else should I know about hosteling?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Check it out on Trip advisor and google it. I doubt anybody here has stayed in a hostel in NYC
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Any chance your brother can go over and check it out for you?
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

So I have a friend who lives in that neighborhood and asked her. She said it’s a popular hostel with large groups, so you’re in the right track in thinking it’ll tick off your requirements.

She hadn’t been inside so doesn’t know how clean it is. Recommend look at trip advisor or straight up ask your brother like pp suggested here. Or even call front desk and see how “friendly” they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If you want other ideas, Moxy and Freehand have bunk bed rooms.
    When we do school trips in hotels, we pay for security to be stationed in the hallways overnight. We use a travel agency to coordinate those logistics with the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    If you want other ideas, Moxy and Freehand have bunk bed rooms.
    When we do school trips in hotels, we pay for security to be stationed in the hallways overnight. We use a travel agency to coordinate those logistics with the hotel.
    Thank you; I am trying to find location and accommodations within our budget that will suit the travel/sleep quarters requirements.

We are a tiny group who has only stayed overnight on council camp properties, so we were able to accommodate the rules very easily.

Bare minimum, everyone has to have her own bed (no bed-sharing) and we have to be guaranteed that the bathrooms are single-sex. It's my understanding that the adults have to bunk separately from the kids, so that makes things challenging when looking into supervisory ratios and hotel rooms. The hostel seemed to be a budget-friendly option that would allow us to follow the rules without spending $$$$.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Any chance your brother can go over and check it out for you?
    I can ask him, but he and my sister-in-law are both in the middle of a serious anxiety spiral right now, so it's hard to ask him to stretch his comfort zone.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    . It's my understanding that the adults have to bunk separately from the kids, so that makes things challenging when looking into supervisory ratios and hotel rooms. The hostel seemed to be a budget-friendly option that would allow us to follow the rules without spending $$$$.
    Double check with your council travel rules. You may find that adults can be in the same room as youth as long as you have two unrelated female adults. Finding rooms that meet the rules and budget is tricky! Thanks for giving your girls this opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    Double check with your council travel rules. You may find that adults can be in the same room as youth as long as you have two unrelated female adults. Finding rooms that meet the rules and budget is tricky! Thanks for giving your girls this opportunity.
    I actually re-read the rules and they are clearer to me now; I also have connections with the travel troop leaders who are an absolute wealth of information and I love them for that, so I can clarify the info myself. As long as we have at least 2 unrelated female leaders, we are fine; the stricter sleeping arrangements were for trips that include men as part of the travel/campout party.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

geophne is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

There is a Girl Scouts traveling to NYC Facebook group that might be helpful for your trip planning if you haven’t already found it.
    Mom to:
    the Doodler 9/08
    the Panda 12/11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast