Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Graduation trips after graduation?

Wondering what the norm is in your area. Do students take solo trips with friends to Europe after high school graduation? After college graduation?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Not the norm in my area at all. We also don’t have kids that do something like a beach week either.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not at all the norm here at all.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Graduation trips after graduation?

I honestly don’t know but from what I can tell on social media if people go on a trip it is more of a family thing. Dd1 hasn’t mentioned anyone taking these kind of grad trips which were kind of popular where I grew up (I graduated in 1995) which is funny because it wasn’t a super affluent area (although the families that ran a lot of the farms were well to do) but most of those trips were to Hawaii, Mexico, or Disneyland.

Eta: we are going to Europe on a cruise (Oslo to London) in July which just happens to be this year as my grandma is turning 95 (she looks closer to late 80s and is still active) so my dad’s side of the family is all going (I think there will be 22 of us) and it just happens to be the year DD graduates this year. Not planned on purpose this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-29-2024 at 06:41 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Definitely not to Europe, as we are on the west coast, so that would be a really expensive friend's trip!!!

I hear there are quite a few kids at DS1's high school who do go on a graduation trip with friends, but it's more like Hawaii or SoCal. In fact, DS1 is planning to road trip with his friends down to LA over summer break.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Not at all the norm here at all.
    Same. Not the norm as far as I can tell, but I also never know what's going on and DS1 graduated during covid when no one was going anywhere internationally. We took a family trip to Utah and Colorado before he left for school, but that was just the 4 of us.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

DD and her BFF are going to Europe for two weeks. Figuring out exactly what to do was quite an ordeal. Originally DD wanted a contiki tour since she knew some girls who did that. But I felt like that was too much time wasted on busses and contiki has a reputation for involving lots of drinking and partying. So the girls are doing a one week cruise on MSC (very inexpensive) and 6 nights on their own (2 nights each in Rome (before cruise), Florence, and Venice…those two after the cruise.) DH is freaking out, but I think they will be fine. They are both super smart, competent girls. They don’t drink (and have promised not to on the trip). I’ve booked private rooms for them in their locations (hostels and convents). I don’t think it’s typical but some kids do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That’s not common in our area either. Families usually travel together, even with older kids in college and beyond.

Covid has messed this plan up but every 3 years our high school organizes a trip to Rome and the surrounding areas for the high schoolers. The trip starts a few days after the last day of school. So technically my high schoolers are going to Europe with their friends but our school needed parent chaperones so i volunteered and am going. Not exactly what you were asking though.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you for weighing in. We’ve been lucky enough to have traveled internationally with our kids quite a bit. I was taken by surprise at lunch with a fellow mom. She was asking the kids about where they want to go after they graduate. Discussing who should be included in the group and where they want to visit. It never occurred to me that they would be traveling internationally solo. I could see helping to finance a trip after college but for some reason footing the bill before college doesn’t sit quite right with me. My oldest is a sophomore so not there yet but coming quickly. Yes, beach week blast during senior year spring break are big in our area. I don’t think my DC would want to go but we’re not there yet so we shall see.
    Last edited by jgenie; 02-29-2024 at 08:30 PM.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Not the norm here. I know a couple who did family trips but mostly kids are home working and going to graduation parties.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast