daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Denver things to do and transport from airport

I'll be traveling alone for work to Denver next weekend. I'm staying for a couple of days in the RiNo neighborhood and will have an afternoon and morning free. Any recommendations for activities?

I'm thinking of taking the RTD to and from the airport. Is it safe and reliable? Should I consider a shuttle or taxi instead? TIA

If work is covering this trip then I’ll just Uber over. Especially if it’s an early or late arrival to the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD had an internship there last summer and lived downtown. When I asked her about train she said "totally safe" and she's done it alone. Agree with PP that if it's at night/dark I'd Uber if hotel isn't right by train - but that's my general discomfort about walking alone in the dark with a suitcase when I don't know the area.

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    If work is covering this trip then I’ll just Uber over. Especially if it’s an early or late arrival to the airport.

Work is covering this trip. Its during the afternoon and evening that I fly in and fly out. My slight hesitation about Uber is not being in familiar surroundings and of course not knowing the driver. But that's just me being nervous traveling alone

Thanks for posting. The hotel is a few minutes from the train station by walk. I will only have a back pack as it's just a 2 night stay

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd feel comfortable with the train or Uber (or Lyft). I am partial to Lyft. Last time I opened the app, it offered me the choice to default to only female drivers. I didn't turn that on because it wasn't something that I had a preference on but if you do, know that is a choice. You can share your ride with someone else so they can track you if you are worried. We keep the app on, screen on when in a rideshare so we can follow along and make sure we're headed where we should be heading.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I'd feel comfortable with the train or Uber (or Lyft). I am partial to Lyft. Last time I opened the app, it offered me the choice to default to only female drivers. I didn't turn that on because it wasn't something that I had a preference on but if you do, know that is a choice. You can share your ride with someone else so they can track you if you are worried. We keep the app on, screen on when in a rideshare so we can follow along and make sure we're headed where we should be heading.
    This yes! I did that last summer very late like 10pm when I was solo with my kids coming home. It was also an hour long ride to our home and preferred to have female driver, and shared the trip that included driver license, trip map to my then husband.

Ride share apps have come a long way in terms of improving safety features.

Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Thanks for sharing tips for women traveling alone. That makes me feel a little easier in my mind about Uber or Lyft.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have taken the train when visiting Denver from the airport, and find it really easy and safe - especially if you don't need to transfer. With a lot of construction on the highways and traffic around Denver it likely is faster too. I am not a big ride share user though because I am an introvert who would rather read my book on a train
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    I have taken the train when visiting Denver from the airport, and find it really easy and safe - especially if you don't need to transfer. With a lot of construction on the highways and traffic around Denver it likely is faster too. I am not a big ride share user though because I am an introvert who would rather read my book on a train
    Thanks for posting. Fellow introvert here. I get work done on the train

I have a 11 am departure on Sunday. Would anyone know if the trains are reliable on weekends? Or should I just Uber or Lyft?