gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Anyone here experienced worse menstrual cramps after using Always pads?

I bought some for my dd recently because the Kotex ones she wanted were out of stock. When I came home with the Always and she groaned she explained that they make her cramps worse.??!! I’ve never heard of that. I haven’t had a period in like 4+ years but never had that problem with Always pads. Dd said it’s really a thing and I should google it. She said she occasionally got rashes too. But only with Always brand. Has anyone else heard of this?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I bought some for my dd recently because the Kotex ones she wanted were out of stock. When I came home with the Always and she groaned she explained that they make her cramps worse.??!! I’ve never heard of that. I haven’t had a period in like 4+ years but never had that problem with Always pads. Dd said it’s really a thing and I should google it. She said she occasionally got rashes too. But only with Always brand. Has anyone else heard of this?
    It would not surprise me at all. It seems analogous to a baby being sensitive to a brand of diaper. And if it could provoke a rash, it also doesn't surprise me that it might cause cramps.

ETA: I found this abstract. It is from 1996 and you would hope that things have changed but I'm betting that when you have a large enough sample size (all menstruating women who use Always) you are likely to find some that have a reaction to the brand. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1487684/

ETA: I found this article that mentions the various components that might cause problems in the pad. But it all boils down to a sensitivity to one of the components.
    Last edited by chlobo; 03-03-2024 at 10:36 PM.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, I've heard of this. Some women switch to cloth pads to see if it helps with their cramps and/or heavy periods. For some, it does.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Skin irritation years ago. I haven’t tried them in 25 years.
    K

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've never heard of the cramp thing, but I do get irritation from Always pads. It's why I switched to period underwear for overnight.