Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    It’s good idea but my kids have worked at multiple pools over the years and it’s a quirky environment. Most of the pools are managed by basically senior lifeguards. Their priority is staffing and requests are just requests, not guarantees. Some try harder than others to accommodate requests. They have all used scheduling software where you input your availability, an email wouldn’t do anything. It’s not bad to have a paper trail though if they’re punitive with absences (ds1 was scheduled while we were multiple states away on vacation, which they knew about; as a result, he barely got any hours the rest of the summer…it was the worst pool of them all). Pools around here are just less formal and, like I said, just kind of unique in operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    This has also been DS1's experience. It's really a bunch of teens/young adults working and some are definitely flighty. It's frustrating for the kids but also the managers.

OP - many of our local community pools are managed/staffed by the same aquatics company. Lifeguards are employees of said company and can usually choose their "home" pool. The guards learn which ones are more structured and managed better. Maybe this would be the case for your DS? Or do you have a YMCA? They tend to have set expectations for the guards with managers on site. I'm in the group of working is valuable experience for teens so I'd either ask DS to work at the pool or find another position. Chic fil A seems popular with the younger teens and offers employment for 14+. A local ice cream shop? We are going through the same thing with DS2, also a rising 11th grader. It's hard because he has several soccer commitments and a 2 week family vacation so work needs to be flexible. But I don't want him just hanging out without something the rest of his summer.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OP, as much as possible, once you have the info/contact number for the new pool, have you DS do all the legwork.

For everyone, I have found my kids and other kids are not the best communicators with their bosses sometimes with requesting time off, and giving enough notice. I tell mine, text and email if possible, followup, and if they email they can bcc you so you know they did it.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisyd View Post
    DS had worked a summer job at the pool last year. I'd assumed he'd be returning it this summer. But he seems to have changed his mind. He says he'd prefer not to work this summer. He'll be doing driver's ed. Some of his friends are doing college summer courses. He's not sure he wants to try it though. He's been into debate, Computer Programming, World Politics and Economics. Any suggestions for summer activities? I'm drawing a blank on ideas. TIA
    It's a great summer to volunteer for a campaign or get a gig as a campaign intern (often unpaid at that age). My junior did that last year and is now a strong contender for a paid internship. Great college prep and career exploration. He's also more interested in world politics, but it's still very relevant.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    It's a great summer to volunteer for a campaign or get a gig as a campaign intern (often unpaid at that age). My junior did that last year and is now a strong contender for a paid internship. Great college prep and career exploration. He's also more interested in world politics, but it's still very relevant.
    We were thinking of this too for my DD.

Right now her summer is two weeks at the School of the NY Times (she's thrilled!) and most likely returning as a counselor at a theater camp like last summer. She also wants to take an online class, but we'll see!

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    This has also been DS1's experience. It's really a bunch of teens/young adults working and some are definitely flighty. It's frustrating for the kids but also the managers.

OP - many of our local community pools are managed/staffed by the same aquatics company. Lifeguards are employees of said company and can usually choose their "home" pool. The guards learn which ones are more structured and managed better. Maybe this would be the case for your DS? Or do you have a YMCA? They tend to have set expectations for the guards with managers on site. I'm in the group of working is valuable experience for teens so I'd either ask DS to work at the pool or find another position. Chic fil A seems popular with the younger teens and offers employment for 14+. A local ice cream shop? We are going through the same thing with DS2, also a rising 11th grader. It's hard because he has several soccer commitments and a 2 week family vacation so work needs to be flexible. But I don't want him just hanging out without something the rest of his summer.
    Thanks for chiming in with these ideas. It also helps to know that I'm not alone with this. We have a local YMCA where DS used to work out and an ice cream store. I should have thought of them myself. I'll reach out to them.

Full-time summer employment before junior year was a non-negotiable for us. Still left plenty of time for friends/hobbies/interests. Couldn’t imagine a 16/17 just sitting around all summer or just volunteering on a political campaign. Just my opinion, at that age, they should be paying for optional/social activities and saving money. They should also be able to find potential jobs, apply/interview, and follow-up. Crucial skills. Every store I have been in recently has a help wanted sign. Many times, these summer jobs turn into Saturday/school break jobs during the year.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    OP, as much as possible, once you have the info/contact number for the new pool, have you DS do all the legwork.
    Thanks that's a good point. I've been meaning to do this for this summer as it will have learning value for DS. We did most of the leg work last year due to a tight deadline with school finals, DS being sick and getting a work permit.

Thankfully DS is diligent about communicating with supervisors about blackout dates for vacation etc. He is thoughtful, responsible and conscientious about these matters. Now, if he would only be this way about cleaning his room... Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Great idea! Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    We were thinking of this too for my DD.

Right now her summer is two weeks at the School of the NY Times (she's thrilled!) and most likely returning as a counselor at a theater camp like last summer. She also wants to take an online class, but we'll see!
    Congrats to your DD! So cool that she's doing the School of the NY Times

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNDMom View Post
    They should also be able to find potential jobs, apply/interview, and follow-up. Crucial skills. Every store I have been in recently has a help wanted sign. Many times, these summer jobs turn into Saturday/school break jobs during the year.
    Good points. DS will be bored out of his mind without something to do. I was sort of hoping for a summer job/internship that he could potentially continue through the school year on weekends

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast