MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default San Diego Trip Help

We will be flying to San Diego this summer for a swim meet. We are trying to figure out how early we should fly in. DS will be swimming at UCSD on a Friday, Sat, and possibly Sun. We are planning on flying in Tues night, and having Wed and Thurs to sight see, plus any additional time after the swim meet, as I currently don't have a schedule or know how long it will last each day. I was thinking about doing the zoo and Midway Museum on Wed, and then staying closer to the pool the rest of the time. Are there things around La Jolla we could explore on Thurs and during an extra down time we may have? Other suggestions of things to do while we're there? Kids will be 12 and 16. They did request to go to the zoo, but could be swayed if there's something better.

Where do you suggest we stay? Split the stay closer to San Diego the first day or two and then La Jolla or a midway point?

Any suggestions or changes to the itinerary are great! We just know we have to be at UCSD on Friday, Sat and maybe Sun.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default San Diego Trip Help

We always fly in and give ourselves a day At Disneyland.
    The Safari Park is more interesting to us than the zoo. The zoo is good but I’ve been to other good zoos. The SP is unique. We would likely fly in near Anaheim, do Disneyland then drive to Safari Park and end in SD 1.5-2.5 days later.
    But, if those don’t sound good, near LaJolla, try the Birch Aquarium.
    Maybe spend some time near the Coronado resort.
    I think 1 base is fine once you get to the SD area.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I totally agree about doing Safari Park over the zoo. We went 2 years ago and LOVED the safari park. The zoo was a good zoo and fun too, but safari park is a more unique experience. We liked the Midway too and if you are a baseball fan, the Petco Park tour was very cool and had great views of the city. Birch aquarium was fun (but not big, fairly quick activity) and the area around it was beautiful. We liked Corando area a lot too- we had bad weather that day or would have spent more time there as that was unique too.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Another vote for the Safari Park over the zoo. I grew up in SD and never understood why the zoo was so popular.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Definitely go to Cabrillo Monument (check out the tidepools there too).

Skip SeaWorld if the kids ask and yes Safari Park, but go early as it's about 20 degrees warmer there than at the coast.

Hike Torrey Pines, walk up the driveway and make your way down the paths. Recent slides may have impacted this hike so check first.

If you are Catholic or like history , the Mission San Diego in Mission Valley/Mission Gorge, is very neat to visit.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Stay at the Estancia. It's cute and right across from UCSD, nice pool. Easy drive to LJ Shores for dinner. I recommend Piatti's, sit outside. Walk along the beach, take pics under the famous pier. For longer outings, Safari Park instead of zoo.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD20 and her BF are there now for spring break. They went to the Carlsbad flower fields and a nearby (?) Farmer's Market and really enjoyed it - not sure if Farmer's Market is only open on Sunday though. They also went to the pier and beach for a few hours and had fun. They are passing on the zoo, but doing a Segway tour downtown (I think). They're taking the train up to Disneyland one day in case that's of interest to you. Have fun!

If the swim meet is in July, it'll be HOT at the Safari Park and it's very spread out so lots of walking.

Near UCSD I would suggest the Birch Aquarium (only need a couple of hours)- there's a "secret swing" that can be accessed off the parking lot that would be a quick fun thing to do as well. UTC mall is also great if you want to shop and there are a variety of restaurants at different price points.

There's a gorgeous walk in La Jolla that starts near the Cave Store, which is also a fun little tourist spot. La Jolla Shores if you want beach time, kayaking, or surf lessons.