pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Negotiating price on a used vehicle

Taking my son to look at a used car (Chrysler) at a Chevy dealer Monday afternoon. The other places we have looked, CarMax and Enterprise state no haggle pricing, so haven't thought about negotiations. The listed price is below KBB value. It has been almost 10 years since I purchased a vehicle, so wondered if most dealers are still open to negotiating price or other options?
    Not sure what a Chevy dealer can offer on the sale of a used Chrysler by way of incentives outside of price.
    mom to Billy 12/07

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    Taking my son to look at a used car (Chrysler) at a Chevy dealer Monday afternoon. The other places we have looked, CarMax and Enterprise state no haggle pricing, so haven't thought about negotiations. The listed price is below KBB value. It has been almost 10 years since I purchased a vehicle, so wondered if most dealers are still open to negotiating price or other options?
    Not sure what a Chevy dealer can offer on the sale of a used Chrysler by way of incentives outside of price.
    We just bought a used car about a month ago. DH is king of negotiating. He has been known to embarrass me (not that he's rude, just that I am too shy to ever negotiate so it makes me uncomfortable). The car we bought was priced ok. I asked him if he was going to negotiate, and he said he was going to try but was ok paying the asking price. He ended up offering a couple thousand less, and they came back and took a thousand off. Anything is better than nothing!

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I find that it is much easier to negotiate price for new vehicles, because searching online, you can find the same exact vehicle in multiple places and make them compete against each other via email. We are willing to travel for a significantly lower price, but give the local dealership the opportunity to match/beat.

For used vehicles, there are many variables that impact price - make, model, year, miles, clean carfax/no accidents, # owners, certified preowned/not, etc. I would be particularly weary of flood damage. If there is no warranty/CPO, you may want to have a trusted mechanic look things over. If there are comparable cars nearby, you could use that for negotiation. Otherwise, make an offer and be prepared to walk away. They will often call you back. Note that at the end of the month/quarter/year, you may get a better deal if they are trying to meet numbers.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    I find that it is much easier to negotiate price for new vehicles, because searching online, you can find the same exact vehicle in multiple places and make them compete against each other via email. We are willing to travel for a significantly lower price, but give the local dealership the opportunity to match/beat.

For used vehicles, there are many variables that impact price - make, model, year, miles, clean carfax/no accidents, # owners, certified preowned/not, etc. I would be particularly weary of flood damage. If there is no warranty/CPO, you may want to have a trusted mechanic look things over. If there are comparable cars nearby, you could use that for negotiation. Otherwise, make an offer and be prepared to walk away. They will often call you back. Note that at the end of the month/quarter/year, you may get a better deal if they are trying to meet numbers.
    I will say that negotiating on new vehicles probably varies by region or at least make/model. We looked at both new and used and could not negotiate on new. Most places we were finding were actually asking above invoice once you called and got info vs the listed price, as inventory was low and demand was high. We were looking for small trucks (Honda Ridgeline, Ford Maverick, etc).

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

When we bought ds3 a used Honda civic they would only negotiate if we financed … we were paying cash
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    When we bought ds3 a used Honda civic they would only negotiate if we financed … we were paying cash
    Interesting. I could finance and then refinance immediately with my bank if that were the case. I plan to pay the purchase off fairly quickly anyway.
    At the dealer and now looking at a different car because Chrysler issued a recall last night so they can't sell the one we wanted.
    Probably going with a Nissan and this Chevy dealer also owns the Nissan dealer so if anything maybe I can get maintenence or swag.
    mom to Billy 12/07

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

a friend's recent experience was that they would not bend on price. However, she asked and got two years' worth of free oil changes instead.