Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It looks like you're dressing for warm weather and you probably have thoroughly checked out the weather in the places you're going BUT I just want to mention that I went to Europe at the end of April and was freezing in some places! (Switzerland and Germany and even Paris was rainy and cold!) Again, I know you've probably already done the research but for the benefit of future searches I thought I'd mention that!

For shoes, if it is truly going to be very warm, I cannot recommend anything more highly than Fitflops. They're my go to for Disneyland and fortunately the end of my Europe trip last year we were in Nice and I could wear them! I have a tricky knee and last year I sprained my ankle and the Fitflops were as supportive as I needed with those prior injuries. I would try out the sneakers you already have and see how your feet feel after a very long day in them. I think that buying new shoes can be a mistake for a long trip. I also see the advantage of bringing multiple pair. I wore several pair of shoes that I felt were "well tested" and yet after a full day, there were PARTS of my feet that were sore! Like my tall boots had somewhat thin soles that didn't like a whole day of walking on gravel and cobblestones, and my waterproof wedge booties didn't like consecutive days spent entirely on my feet! (I will note that I never have a problem with the Fitflops, but they don't work for cold and rainy!)

Clothes wise, this will vary based on your taste and style. I'm such a fan of wearing dresses in Europe. Especially if it is warm! IMO they are as comfortable as any shorts/pants options but they feel fancy enough for any potential destination--from fancy restaurants to cathedrals! Plus they pack up so small. I love a few dresses that I've recently purchased from Amazon. I'll link them here.

https://www.amazon.com/MEROKEETY-Wom...%2C141&sr=8-30

LOVE this one. Have it in 2 colors.

https://www.amazon.com/ZESICA-Womens...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

And I have four patterns in this style, lol.

Hope this helps!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I see Bisous beat me to this. Where you are going and what month will change what you need to bring. There will be a big difference in temperature between Copenhagen and Rome the same month of the year. We wore packable down jackets and packable rain jackets in June in Normandy (northern France) at the end of May. We wore shorts and linen short-sleeve shirts in Rome at the beginning of June.

Where are you touring and when?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    I have a a long black Athleta skirt, wide leg beige pants, and joggers in Athleta that I plan to bring. I feel like the quality has gone down recently, with hems coming loose after a couple washes. I will revisit other items as well because I agree they pack very well and can be mixed up.
    These sound perfect for touring churches in Italy and warmer weather of Provence and Lyon. If you are going earlier than May, or going further north, maybe add some leggings for warmth to wear under the long skirt.

Depending on how you travel (spending several days in one place? Access to washer/dryer? It might make sense to bring cotton and linen tshirts to layer over or wear on their own. If you are moving from one place to another quickly or traveling carry-on, I’d pack short sleeve shirts in quick-dry fabrics like polyester.

I personally like wool layers because they stay warm even when wet and seem to shed smells. I can bring a wool sweater on a 10 day trip and never need to wash it (unless I get a stain on it). This one is my work horse. It’s so easy to dress up or down and layer over anything: https://www.garnethill.com/essential...rchTerm=Retro&. It’s expensive but it will last for years.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post

For shoes, if it is truly going to be very warm, I cannot recommend anything more highly than Fitflops. They're my go to for Disneyland and fortunately the end of my Europe trip last year we were in Nice and I could wear them! I have a tricky knee and last year I sprained my ankle and the Fitflops were as supportive as I needed with those prior injuries. I would try out the sneakers you already have and see how your feet feel after a very long day in them. I think that buying new shoes can be a mistake for a long trip. I also see the advantage of bringing multiple pair. I wore several pair of shoes that I felt were "well tested" and yet after a full day, there were PARTS of my feet that were sore! Like my tall boots had somewhat thin soles that didn't like a whole day of walking on gravel and cobblestones, and my waterproof wedge booties didn't like consecutive days spent entirely on my feet! (I will note that I never have a problem with the Fitflops, but they don't work for cold and rainy!)

I wanted to say that I found Fitflops being sold in a little boutique in the South of France. The French sales lady was raving about how comfortable they are! I also saw some in Printemps, the big department store in Paris. The French like comfy sandals too.

Im a huge fan of Fitflops too because I have very flat feet. But I know that not everyone finds them as comfortable as I do.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What are you wearing this spring/summer?

For t shirts I bought a bunch from Banana Republic Outlet last summer and I will probably buy some more this year. I wear them all year for work (WFH full time) so they are starting to show their wear but overall I am happy with them. I also bought some scoop neck tees from Amazon Essentials that I like which are nice and long and a nice weight.

I agree on the Lovapella dresses, and maxi skirts. I first heard of the brand on Stitch Fix but Nordstrom keeps them from time to time as well.

I haven’t seen anything from Boden in years that is an absolute must have. I used to swear by their casual jersey wrap dresses (both long and short sleeve) but they renamed and slightly redesigned them and upped the price by about $80 to $130 and they just aren’t worth it at that price point imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I see Bisous beat me to this. Where you are going and what month will change what you need to bring. There will be a big difference in temperature between Copenhagen and Rome the same month of the year. We wore packable down jackets and packable rain jackets in June in Normandy (northern France) at the end of May. We wore shorts and linen short-sleeve shirts in Rome at the beginning of June.

Where are you touring and when?
    Trip will be in late May early June with stops in Lyon, France (Taylor Swift!) then to Rome to travel along the Mediterranean to Barcelona. Total trip will be 14 days with average low temp as low as 50 in Lyon and average high temp as high as 89 in Naples. Highest chance of rainfall is in Lyon (avg of 8-10 days/month). We will check forecast as it gets closer and we will need to have some layers.

We will likely NOT have access to washer/dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    For t shirts I bought a bunch from Banana Republic Outlet last summer and I will probably buy some more this year. I wear them all year for work (WFH full time) so they are starting to show their wear but overall I am happy with them. I also bought some scoop neck tees from Amazon Essentials that I like which are nice and long and a nice weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BR Factory was my go too for Tees as well with a refresh each year. I was in person a couple weeks ago and the fabric was much thinner. The white was definitely sheer. Even if I am layered, I would prefer to be able to wear the shirt alone if I get hot, spill something, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    It looks like you're dressing for warm weather and you probably have thoroughly checked out the weather in the places you're going BUT I just want to mention that I went to Europe at the end of April and was freezing in some places! (Switzerland and Germany and even Paris was rainy and cold!) Again, I know you've probably already done the research but for the benefit of future searches I thought I'd mention that!

Clothes wise, this will vary based on your taste and style. I'm such a fan of wearing dresses in Europe. Especially if it is warm! IMO they are as comfortable as any shorts/pants options but they feel fancy enough for any potential destination--from fancy restaurants to cathedrals! Plus they pack up so small. I love a few dresses that I've recently purchased from Amazon. I'll link them here.

https://www.amazon.com/MEROKEETY-Wom...%2C141&sr=8-30

LOVE this one. Have it in 2 colors.

https://www.amazon.com/ZESICA-Womens...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

And I have four patterns in this style, lol.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I will definitely check them out! Yes, I will be sure to break in and test any new shoes over the next 2 months. I wore the new CH in NY for some shopping and airport travel with lots of walking. They were pretty comfy. I ordered some insoles to see if it helps.
    Last edited by Melbel; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:30 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Research drop off laundry services. You will be glad to have that option! We made sure to book lodging mid-way through our trip that had laundry on our previous Europe trip. The upcoming one is all hotels so I am planning to do a laundry service. I wouldn't want to pack the size suitcase needed for 14 days worth of clothes and deal with a lot of transitions.

Trip will be in late May early June with stops in Lyon, France (Taylor Swift!) then to Rome to travel along the Mediterranean to Barcelona. Total trip will be 14 days with average low temp as low as 50 in Lyon and average high temp as high as 89 in Naples. Highest chance of rainfall is in Lyon (avg of 8-10 days/month). We will check forecast as it gets closer and we will need to have some layers.

We did that trip last summer and it was a wonderful time to travel. Get to Pompeii and Herculeum if you can. It’s so interesting.

There was a lot of girls and ladies wearing wide-leg linen or light fabric pants worn in Rome last summer. Pair those with a light tshirt or tank top (with a scarf you can throw over your shoulders in churches like the clever tour guides I saw) and you’ll be set. Wear very comfortable sandals or tennis shoes. Bring a packable rain jacket for downpours in Rome and an extra layer of warmth in the cool evenings and mornings in Lyon.

Snuggle buggles’ idea for researching ahead of time where to drop off your clothes is a good idea for dealing with laundry. That wouldn’t have worked for us. We would have left half our clothes somewhere and not remembered where. Another way to do it is wear quick-dry clothes as if you were backpacking. Polyester tops that will dry overnight saved me. We are doing something similar next summer and my plan is to wear a version of this everyday as my top layer: https://www.anntaylor.com/clothing/t...?priceSort=DES and https://www.anntaylor.com/clothing/t...?priceSort=DES I’ll wear those tops with navy Athleta Brooklyn pants for bottoms. That garnet hill sweater I linked to above will be my top layer with my rain jacket. I am bringing a skirt too. All of them can be mixed and matched. I’m bringing fitflop sandals and my Hokas for days of serious walking. I’ll dress up the sweater with a silky camisole and a skirt (or wide-legged pants) and my Fitflops for dressing up.

I will bring 3 bottoms (2 pants and 1 skirt) and about 5 tops that I can wash out and dry overnight. I bring 2 of the double gallon size ziploc bags. One for washing with soap, one for drying. I use a tiny portable clothesline like this: https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Cloth...Y2hfYXRm&psc=1

I like these detergent sheets for traveling. A pinch is all you need for a bag of laundry: https://www.amazon.com/Breezeo-Laund...s%2C121&sr=8-3 Ds1 loves them for his college laundry. Wash in one bag then Rinse the clothes in the second bag and squeeze them out good. Then set up the bags to dry and roll up your clothes in hotel towels. Squeeze them to get them as dry as possible. Hang them up overnight and the polyester ones will be dry by morning.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:50 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast