Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Vitamin Recommendations

I went to a new OB/GYN today who actually LISTENED to me!! She didn't blow me off as anxious or crazy and actually told me that too many doctors just tell women to suck it up and that it's anxiety. It was such a relief and she was wonderful. She wants me to take some vitamins for three months to see if it helps with some of my most annoying perimenopause symptoms. I know most of these have been mentioned before, but a search isn't helping me find your recommendations of brands. So, I need to take 400 mg of Magnesium, vitamin D, and a vitamin B complex. Please share your favorite brands!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Magnesium Glycinate
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vit D
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't take a B Complex, but take B12 from Seeking Health. This is their B Complex.
    https://www.amazon.com/Methyl-Free-N...s%2C150&sr=8-7
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Which vitamin D? If it's d3 you have to take it with k2 to be absorbed properly.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I buy whatever vitamins I need at Costco. I only take vitamin D (Kirkland brand) and magnesium (Nature Made).
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My favorite brands include Pure Encapsulations, Thorne, and Seeking Health.

For B vitamins, I would test for MTHFR mutations first. It is prevalent in approximately 40% of the population, but really can impact your ability to absorb B vitamins (B12 and folate in particular which can lead to high homocysteine levels). Seeking Health has good B vitamins for those with MTHFR (all 5 in my family have 2 defects FWIW).

For magnesium, there are different forms that address different things. Generally speaking:
    l-threonate - neurological, migraines, cognitive, sleep; glycinate - anxiety, stress, pain; malate - fatigue, muscle tension; sulfate - muscles tension (magnesium sulfate is epsom salts); citrate - constipation, muscle tension.

I have this D3 with K2 drops for better absorption.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Vitamin Recommendations

I take the following:

New Chapter womens 40+ multi vitamin (this is iron free)

Carlsons Solar Gem Vitamin D3, 4000mg

Now Quercetin

Now Biotin, 5000mg

Now Magnesium Citrate, 400 mg (as needed; not daily)

Sports Research Evening Primrose Oil, 1200mg

Pure Encapsulations Zinc, 30 mg

Smoky Mountain Nutrition Calcium Gluterate (I have also used Thorne in the past but see very little difference between the two brands)

Smoky Mountain Nutrition DIM (I tried the Thorne brand and I didn’t like it at all. I felt super emotional and it was just an odd feeling I can’t quite describe).

I have tried multiple brands of B vitamins including the MTHF one recommended by Melbel and I get nauseous from it, plus some other brands of multi vitamins with b12 in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:02 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    My favorite brands include Pure Encapsulations, Thorne, and Seeking Health.

For B vitamins, I would test for MTHFR mutations first. It is prevalent in approximately 40% of the population, but really can impact your ability to absorb B vitamins (B12 and folate in particular which can lead to high homocysteine levels). Seeking Health has good B vitamins for those with MTHFR (all 5 in my family have 2 defects FWIW).

For magnesium, there are different forms that address different things. Generally speaking:
    l-threonate - neurological, migraines, cognitive, sleep; glycinate - anxiety, stress, pain; malate - fatigue, muscle tension; sulfate - muscles tension (magnesium sulfate is epsom salts); citrate - constipation, muscle tension.

I have this D3 with K2 drops for better absorption.
    Thank you for mentioning the MTHFR mutations. I googled it and found that I could get the info from my 23 and Me data. It looks like I have 2 defects as well if I'm reading it correctly. I didn't get a whole lot into it yet, but is the need for different B vitamins because of the reduction in the ability to absorb regular B vitamins?

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Thank you for mentioning the MTHFR mutations. I googled it and found that I could get the info from my 23 and Me data. It looks like I have 2 defects as well if I'm reading it correctly. I didn't get a whole lot into it yet, but is the need for different B vitamins because of the reduction in the ability to absorb regular B vitamins?
    Yes, that's why I use the Seeking Health brand for B12. I'm homozygous MTHFR as well.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Yes, MTHFR mutations can impact absorption. My B12 blood levels were high, but my body could not use it on a cellular level. My homocysteine levels were also high which is a sign of a deficiency of B12, B6, or folate. High homocysteine levels can lead to blood clots, dementia, stroke, heart problems and more. Source Cleveland Clinic.

This is the particular product I use from Seeking Health. My homocysteine levels normalized within a few months. My hematologist, who I see due to history of anemia and blood clots, was not at all informed about MTHFR and the need to use different forms of B12. Integrative and functional doctors are better informed on this issue.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My favorite brand is Metagenics - recommended to me by 2 highly respected functional med docs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast