Default Nail Polish for Toddlers

Not sure if this is the correct board to post this topic. If not, please advise.

DD is 20 months old. At what age did you allow nail polish? Is there any harm in it for kids this young?

I know they make special nail polish for kids. I realize this may sound silly, but is there any difference in the kid polish than what I would get at a nail salon (OPI, Zoya, Essie, etc.)?

I am in no rush and DD doesn't seem to care either way, but my MIL mentioned that she wanted to paint my DD nails.

I don't recall any issues when I was young, but that was a LONG time ago and to be honest, I don't think I used nail polish that young. Please help educate me on this subject. TIA
    Last edited by SoCalMommy; 08-02-2012 at 01:01 AM.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yes, please use special nail polish for kids - nail polish and remover use solvents and other toxic materials that you do not want to expose your toddler to. We buy Piggy Paint - available online (amazon.com, childrensplace.com, piggypaint.com) and at stores. It's more expensive, but we've had the same 3 bottles of nail polish for 2 years and we can probably use it through the end of the year. DD1 got nail polish as part of her big sister gift when she turned 4. I didn't really encourage it before then, but if you want to use it, Piggy Paint is supposedly as "safe as mud!"

Piggy Paint nail polish remover isn't very good, so I don't recommend you buy it, but luckily the polish peels off within a day or two on its own.

for Sandy Hook

maiaann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've always used normal, grown-up, both drugstore & salon brand nail polish on my girls (but I'm not much of a worrier). We started painting nails around age 3. At 20 mo, unless you're using "non-toxic" nail polish, I'd stick to toes only.
    Last edited by maiaann; 08-02-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    DD1 10/01
    DD2 02/07
    DD3 07/09

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use regular polish on DDs. DD1 was 4yo and we only polished toes. I polished her fingers for the 1st time for her 5th birthday. DD2 is 2.5yo and we only do toes.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We let dd put some polish on at about 3 1/2 or so and I was only comfortable with Piggy Paint.

iaam is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD, at 2 years 3 months, has recently developed a love for nail polish. We have been using Piggy Paint (bought at Walmart, very reasonably priced) and have been happy.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am fine with toenail polish even on toddler girls but I only use uber natural stuff with no chemicals. I use Acquarella on myself and on her and it has zero odor.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Toenails only. We've done fingers and it never lasts, and I assume she's eating some of it unintentionally.

We use Piggy Paint, but sometimes MIL uses the regular stuff, and I don't mind.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I used Piggy Paint on myself; DD is interested but not yet patient enough to sit still for a pedicure.

I actually found that using the Piggy Paint basecoat and topcoat made it last A LOT longer than any of the ladies above have mentioned in past postings about it, though.

Seriously, I still have some residue on my toes from the Piggy Paint I failed to remove before seeing the podiatrist about my ingrown toenail. (I used their "adult" line - Piggy Paint "Refined" in Spiced Pumpkin.)

Of course, a toddler isn't necessarily patient enough for basecoat and topcoat, so YMMV.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle