Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Grr neighbor vent but need advice

We have one of those neighbors that reports people to city regard house/yard. Ironically he runs for the city government on platform of decreased government but is regular user of government enforcement for city regulations etc.

So today I see him and he asks when my dad is visiting next, strange as my dad hasn’t visited in 10 yrs because of health reasons. He then goes on to say my dad would fix the fence but he’s never seen my DH fix it, asking if DH isn’t handy. He’s not but I tell neighbor that DH works a lot and yes I know the fence needs to be replaced. It’s a 3’ high decorative split rail fence that you can’t really see much of because of plants. It doesn’t fence in the yard at all, it runs along the side of our yard but not the front or back. Yes part of the rails aren’t up because some posts have termite damage. DH did fix some by hammering metal stake into ground and attaching the post to the stake. It’s not going to get replaced anytime soon and technically it might be on city land (it’s a side lot, no sidewalk and we plant and irrigate right to the curb, fence is about 2.5’ in from the curb. )

Can this neighbor cause issues over this fence not being up for the entire length. I can try to patch it up (metal stakes to give posts support) or just take whole thing down until we can replace. I’d rather not take down so when replace, if issue with city we can say repairing existing fence rather than new fence. But part of me wants to leave it be to annoy the neighbor every time he drives by my house. The yard is well maintained so no issues there.

Crotchety old man that needs to leave people be.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 06-14-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Hard to tell - is it an eyesore?

Without knowing your local ordinances/covenants/restrictions hard to tell.

If you aren't going to fix it - can you not just tear it down?

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Grr neighbor vent but need advice

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Hard to tell - is it an eyesore?

Without knowing your local ordinances/covenants/restrictions hard to tell.

If you aren't going to fix it - can you not just tear it down?
    It needs to be replaced, but we don’t have money to do it. I can try the repair DH and my dad did. They hammered metal stakes into ground and used wire to wrap around the wooden post to give it support. The rail then slips into hole cut into the post, so only the post needs to be fixed.

A couple posts are completely rotten through and lying on ground. Previous owner put wood post directly into the ground - we live in land of subterranean termites so the posts became lunch. So that part of fence isn’t up at all. Other sections are still up, though could use some reinforcement so not wobbly.

Eyesore... well not great looking but it’s not completely visible either.

I can try to fix it with DS, but it won’t happen for awhile- maybe that’s long enough for me to annoy neighbor. If we can’t fix it, then I can take it down, or even just take down part that has fallen and leave up the ends that are still standing - there’s a lot of plants obscuring some parts of the fence.

If we do fix it or take it down, neighbor will continue to tell people what to do, though he’s never going to stop as seems to have nothing else to do. It’s bloody annoying! I did complain about him to someone who told me that when he moves (getting pretty old), someone else will step up to take his place! Every street has someone like him.

Last edited by niccig; 06-14-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Since you are home, can’t you try a handyman? He may have a more permanent fix.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It sounds like you have valid reasons to leave it the way it is now- finances and potential taxes. It doesn't sound like this neighbor shares the line with the fence, right? If he did I could see it being more of a valid complaint on his side. As it is, if he's just being a nosy neighbor, perhaps if he brings it up next time try the "Yes, it would be great, it's on a long list of projects. We'll get to it when we're done tackling the house," approach. Non-argumentative but not agreeing to do it now, either.

That man would drive me crazy. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

Wait - he doesn't even live next to you? What a nosy critter. I would just do as California says and politely evade. Getting angry at him will only give him fire to be more nosy and possibly contact the city (have no idea if it goes against local ordinance).

Wondering if you could post on your local FB under an anonymous (trustworthy) administrator to get responses? Or even consult a real estate lawyer (could maybe call and ask the question to see if they will answer it for free - might be a very basic question/answer that they don't care to charge you for).

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’ll probably eventually be that grouchy neighbor when I’m old. I hold my tongue now but can see that slipping over time. Seeing fence missing posts and in disrepair would drive me crazy everyday. It hurts home values if people think the neighborhood has neglectful owners. It’s obviously not an easy fix and sounds complicated with regards to ownership but if there’s anything you can do to improve the appearance, I’d do it. If only helps the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Since its only along the side can you just pull the posts out and leave it unfenced until you get it replaced with something you want/ like?
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

'You're right - My dad will fix it the next time he visits'
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Only you know whether you have the time and energy to put into this fence issue. I would have someone come out take a look and give options, estimates.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast