Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Grr neighbor vent but need advice

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliaparadise View Post
    That man would drive me crazy. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

Wait - he doesn't even live next to you? What a nosy critter. I would just do as California says and politely evade. Getting angry at him will only give him fire to be more nosy and possibly contact the city (have no idea if it goes against local ordinance).

Wondering if you could post on your local FB under an anonymous (trustworthy) administrator to get responses? Or even consult a real estate lawyer (could maybe call and ask the question to see if they will answer it for free - might be a very basic question/answer that they don't care to charge you for).
    He lives 3 doors up the road. He reported us to the city when we did our remodel - we had permits. We didn’t have a permit for the storage pod in the driveway, but that’s because when I went to get one, I was told I didn’t need one. The city employee who’s responsible for our area for city regulations was very understanding (the old neighbor keeps him busy) and gave us 3 weeks to move it as we were 2 weeks from being finished. If he complains about fence, I can see city doing the same, giving us a few weeks to fix it.

DS does his trash cans for him, he pays DS $0.50 a week to do it. So the old guy knows us., but didn’t talk to me about the storage pod. What he doesn’t know is that DS used to do the elderly neighbors trash cans for free. He’d be mad he’s paying!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 06-15-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I’ll probably eventually be that grouchy neighbor when I’m old. I hold my tongue now but can see that slipping over time. Seeing fence missing posts and in disrepair would drive me crazy everyday. It hurts home values if people think the neighborhood has neglectful owners. It’s obviously not an easy fix and sounds complicated with regards to ownership but if there’s anything you can do to improve the appearance, I’d do it. If only helps the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The majority of the fence isn’t visible from the road because there’s tall plants in front of it. It’s also only 2 rails so not a solid fence. We have a heavily landscaped yard that is well maintained, so the property is not in disrepair.

I’d suggest you keep holding your tongue. You never know what people are dealing with and fixing a fence may be low down on list of priorities. Everyone in the neighborhood dislikes this man. When the “for sale” sign goes up in front of his house, no one will be sad to see him move. I hope I never become like him.

Last edited by niccig; 06-15-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Since its only along the side can you just pull the posts out and leave it unfenced until you get it replaced with something you want/ like?
    I may do this. I’ll see if we can support the posts first. If not, we’ll take it out. DH was talking about doing something until we can replace it. Now we don’t want to because he’s being a bossy old grump.

Last edited by niccig; 06-15-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    'You're right - My dad will fix it the next time he visits'
    Love that! I did tell him I know it needs to be fixed, and it’s on the list. I can’t do anything about if for several weeks, so it’s just going to have to wait.

What really annoyed me was him basically saying DH is lazy because he hasn’t fixed it. The old guy has been retired for decades. Not everyone has that much spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceepa View Post
    Only you know whether you have the time and energy to put into this fence issue. I would have someone come out take a look and give options, estimates.
    No room in budget to get someone out. If I can’t McGuyver something, I’ll take posts out but the old guy will have to put up with it for a few more weeks.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    The majority of the fence isn’t visible from the road because there’s tall plants in front of it. It’s also only 2 rails so not a solid fence. We have a heavily landscaped yard that is well maintained, so the property is not in disrepair.

I’d suggest you keep holding your tongue. You never know what people are dealing with and fixing a fence may be low down on list of priorities. Everyone in the neighborhood dislikes this man. When the “for sale” sign goes up in front of his house, no one will be sad to see him move. I hope I never become like him.

Don't worry- I will hold my tongue- though probably bitch about it to others. Won't go calling the police nor nagging you though. It doesn't sound as bad as I envisioned either.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow - so annoying! Sounds like you are doing the right thing, saying the right things.

But is it illegal to have a fence that is partially down? I can't imagine someone telling me what to do on my property!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it’s time to buy about a dozen pink flamingos and one of those gazing lawn balls for your front lawn. I would make this my summer project to drive this guy crazy. Host a party where ask everyone to bring one tacky lawn ornament.

I’m actually JEALOUS I don’t have a neighbor like this.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Only a super-nosy neighbor would keep track of the fact that your dad worked on it- 10+ years ago!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I think it’s time to buy about a dozen pink flamingos and one of those gazing lawn balls for your front lawn. I would make this my summer project to drive this guy crazy. Host a party where ask everyone to bring one tacky lawn ornament.

I’m actually JEALOUS I don’t have a neighbor like this.
    I love this. Our Facebook resale site periodically has flamingos for cheap after birthday celebrations....

I'm picturing flamingos peeking over the fence at passerby.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast