Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Peloton Bike anyone?

Checked some old threads, but not a lot of info. I was wondering if anyone here had one? I’ve looking into it because it cannot run anymore because of degenerate changes in my back and a big whopping cyst on my L5 nerve. I mean, I COULD, but my back recommends something less pounding on the back. I want to avoid surgery.

So, I know a few people who have it and LOVE it. I have one friend that I was going to try hers a couple of times, BUT she’s currently in divorce talks with her husband, so sort of awkward to walz in and say “just going to use the bike!” I tried one for a 20 min ride in the store. Of course the big question is, will a use it? The monthly fee is about a gym membership, so I’m OK with that. The upfront cost of the bike is a bit of sticker shock, but it’s not that much more than a well built elliptical. Their 0% financing makes it pretty painless. I have a cheap bike I don’t use, which was stupid of me to get. It’s just not that good. I’m thinking the $$ will be a motivation for me to get my butt in the basement to use it and the quality of the instructors will keep me doing it. But I’m still mulling it over. I’m not a big “social” person at a gym. I prefer to do my exercise alone, so the whole get on FB and be part of the community is wasted on me. That seems to be a big draw. Other consideration is an elliptical.

Any input or ideas welcome.

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't have one but one of my closest friends does. Her and her husband love it and they have cancelled their gym membership because they were paying just for spin classes. My friend is a hard core runner and I told her I don't like that the bike is coming between us and our running time lol. She doesn't do the live workouts, and loves the flexibility of the access to classes. I have two other friends who use the Peloton app and their own spin bike and they like it though they aren't as consistent as my friend who has the bike.

I would say if you are a consistent exerciser and you like to ride, go for it. Especially if your back issues are changing what types of exercise are doable for you but you still want to stay active.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have one. DH spontaneously bought it last year when his knees needed a break from running, and I said, "Oh we should just get a Peloton haha." It was delivered 2 weeks later, I didn't even know he bought it.

I haven't done any live classes but I like being able to pick what type and length of class (avoid HIIT classes at all costs, I did one before I knew what it was and almost died LOL!!), and try to do the ones with the weights. You'd think 3lb weights would be easy but with the number of reps it gets hard! They also offer stretching, weights, core and yoga classes. Obviously not on the bike but on the monitor.

DDs have also started doing them, they like it and we'll probably get them the clip in shoes for Christmas. They started out with the scenic rides (no instructor just scenery) and have moved onto their own accounts and doing classes. DH gets on kicks where he will do classes like 3-4x/week for a couple months but then he falls off. He does like having it though.

So for me, I don't love spin but that thing taunts me - I just know it's there, I know what it cost - so I try to do it. There are some instructors I like more than others. The workouts are challenging and you definitely sweat! I also go to a spin studio when a friend asks me to go - I am trying to decide which I hate less, the B&M class or the Peloton. So far it's a tie.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Peloton Bike anyone?

A friend of mine has one, and she loves it. If I had the space for it I would think about it, but honestly I really like working out at a gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

we have one and it was well used by my parents for several years. It hasn't been used much in the last 9 months but when it gets cold again expect my mom may start to use it again. It works well, classes are good. You just have to love spin
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I purchased a quality bike from Gym Source (BH Fitness, 7100H i think). I spin with the Peloton App in a surround sound type of environment. i LOVE it! I would have loved the Peloton itself but it was too much $$. This is a great combo for me!

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    We have one. DH spontaneously bought it last year when his knees needed a break from running, and I said, "Oh we should just get a Peloton haha." It was delivered 2 weeks later, I didn't even know he bought it.

I haven't done any live classes but I like being able to pick what type and length of class (avoid HIIT classes at all costs, I did one before I knew what it was and almost died LOL!!), and try to do the ones with the weights. You'd think 3lb weights would be easy but with the number of reps it gets hard! They also offer stretching, weights, core and yoga classes. Obviously not on the bike but on the monitor.

DDs have also started doing them, they like it and we'll probably get them the clip in shoes for Christmas. They started out with the scenic rides (no instructor just scenery) and have moved onto their own accounts and doing classes. DH gets on kicks where he will do classes like 3-4x/week for a couple months but then he falls off. He does like having it though.

So for me, I don't love spin but that thing taunts me - I just know it's there, I know what it cost - so I try to do it. There are some instructors I like more than others. The workouts are challenging and you definitely sweat! I also go to a spin studio when a friend asks me to go - I am trying to decide which I hate less, the B&M class or the Peloton. So far it's a tie.
    Thanks, that is helpful. I don’t love spin classes, but I don’t hate them. Partly I’ve felt like, what the heck is going on and trying to keep up with the class. That and it don’t think I get th seat right for me. I’d have no shame in taking it down a notch in my home. I don’t really need to stay clear of running now. I would love it if I could do a mix of intense cardio 2-3 week and couple it with long walks with the dog on trails 3 days a week when the weather is good. I have considering swimming, it that would be a huge time commitment to get to a pool, change, swim, dry off. It would take a minimum of 1.5-2 hrs and I see that time slipping away from me frequently on my days off. I could never do it on the days I work 12 hrs.

In general I’m not good at getting myself to a class at the gym. I’m over 50 and the gym in my town is full of all the women in their 30’s trying to stay young or get back in shape. They tend to use it for socializing and I’m not into socializing like that, but I don’t want to be rude to people so I’d rather avoid that whole thing.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I strongly considered a Peloton alternative/hack. Sort of like this: https://www.mypursestrings.com/peloton-app/

I am a dedicated home exerciser...usually in my home gym at least 5 days/week, a lot of weights, but I like to mix it up with cardio too. I had a treadmill already but was attracted to the structured workouts with Peloton. But I ended up buying a Concept2 rower instead. I like the rower and I use it pretty often, but I do wish there were more structured workouts/classes available on video. (Most I've found are written). It seems like a lot of people who were devoted to spinning really like the Peloton bike. If you aren't already into spinning, it's kind of a big investment if you find out it isn't your thing.

Now I'm looking at the website though and it seems like they have treadmill programming now via the Peloton app. $12.99/month. Very tempting.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a friend whose had one for about 2 months and has used it daily and loves it. That said, she’s single and in her early 30s so she has lots of time for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have 3 good friends who have them and LOVE them. One was a hardcore runner who injured her back and can no longer run, and she now loves her Peloton bike. I’ve considered buying one a few different times but 1) I feed off of energy around me when I workout so I do best in a gym environment, and 2) I love spin but I go through periods where I do it a lot and then move on to a different workout for 6 months. I don’t want to just do spin but with the costs of peloton it’s hard to justify a gym membership on top of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast