Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For swim team it was 85.00, we're on reduced so half that. We also have to buy a team suit 65.00 and caps, 10.00. Also once per season each family provides breakfast for the whole team (37 swimmers), which cost about 150.00 for breakfast pizza, drinks, granola bars, fruit. I've heard cheerleadibg is 500.00 or more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This has been a big local issue lately. Our district did not have pay to play, but our district is one of the fastest growing in the nation. We failed to pass a tax ratification election to increase funding two years ago and the district had to enact cost saving measures. One of the big ones was pay to play. People were quite upset because all of the fees that schools charging were more than what most people would have paid in increased taxes. Fortunately, in the election last week a tax increase for the schools was passed, so it will be interesting to see if they reduce the fees.

One thing that came to light in this process is that the fine arts programs have always had high fees. Band fees are as much as $1,000 per student, while sports are now $200ish. I hope that if they don’t take away the fees, they at least equalize them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's $200 per sport here from 7-12 grade with a $550 total family maximum per school year. We already hit $400 for both my boys to play on their school soccer teams and I just paid the remaining $150 for DS1 for winter track. Spring track for him will have no cost since we hit the max. Unfortunately DS2 plays lacrosse in the spring, but because it's not a school sport (town sport through 8th grade) we have to pay out of pocket for it. It definitely gets expensive, but I do love how active they are all year!

There are no extra fees here. The $200 per sport covers buses, uniforms, refs, coaching salaries, etc...
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

From this and talking to others, I think a pay-to-play sounds a little better if you do a couple sports.

We also have robotics and that's pricey, but is mostly travel costs, I think. High school is eating up our budget!
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by lovin2shop View Post

One thing that came to light in this process is that the fine arts programs have always had high fees. Band fees are as much as $1,000 per student, while sports are now $200ish. I hope that if they don’t take away the fees, they at least equalize them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was the argument made here. Nearly all the other extracurriculars require some sort of fee or at least fundraising. You don’t ever see the school-sponsored football team or basketball team holding car washes or selling entertainment books for $25 a pop. Yes, people do pay to come watch them play, but admission fees are pretty minimal around here.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In our large suburban school district (outside of Denver), all high school sports have a fee of $175 per season. I've only had one in high school at a time so far, and while there are fee waivers, I haven't heard of any caps (either per family or per athlete). Last year my DD played 4 HS sports (3 Varsity), so we paid $700 in basic participation fees alone. Depending on the sport, the sports fee might cover uniforms, but generally just helps offset facilities, small coach salaries, insurance, some transportation (although for many games, we have to drive our own kids until they can drive), and officials. For most sports, your "optional" spirit pack (sweats, gear outside of basic uniform, etc.) is extra and can run $75-100 and then there are booster fees (from $100-200). For XC/Track/Soccer, these help pay entry fees (which are super expensive for every XC Invitational and/or tournament), pay for Gatorade/snack at practice/events, and help pay for awards, etc. For Swimming, the booster fees help pay for pool fees and special meet entries. We do some fundraisers to offset costs and there are options for those who can't afford the fees, but it's not cheap. If your kiddo does club sports too (mine swims year round), HS is a bargain in comparison, but the totals are significant.
    Last edited by jenmcadams; 11-12-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

For us the cost really depends on the sport. Every sport has a $85 fee. IF you do something like wresting, the school gives you the uniform, you buy shoes and you are all set for $85. My middle schooler in on the nordic ski team. I paid $85 and then had to buy $500 worth of equipment, $150 worth of clothes and pay for passes at the races. I will provide all food and transportation for my kid to the 6 weekend races. The 6 after school races are transported by the school. The downhill race team also pays a $85 fee and a friend told me she spent $2500 last year on it. Ski jumping starts in HS, I think that will cost me around $1500.

That being said, it is still a bargain, and we would own the ski equipment anyway, and DD2 will use it all in 7 years.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son only plays hockey right now. Middle school hockey was $416. IDK what HS will be next year, but it will be quite a bit more. That would be the same for private school (his) or public. Same league. Pays for ice time, refs, uniforms.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

I have an update to my previous post about Ann Arbor... I was at a meeting tonight where I learned that in addition to the "pay to play" fee, there are team fees of $150-$1500! Hockey is the $1500.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    I have an update to my previous post about Ann Arbor... I was at a meeting tonight where I learned that in addition to the "pay to play" fee, there are team fees of $150-$1500! Hockey is the $1500.
    Ouch!

I guess that doesn't surprise me completely.
    Kris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast