Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Re IM, it’s not recommended for menopausal / peri women. I highly recommend you lift weights and listen to Stacy Sims.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Yes! This is just what my new GYN told me yesterday. That I needed to be doing weight and resistance training and that it'll actually be the best way to lose weight for this stage in life.

She also told me that obese white women live way longer than skinny white women because we need a little padding to keep our bones safe as we age. Made me feel a bit better about the 10 pounds I've gained in the last few years

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

For IM I do the 8 hour window and it cuts out all my unnecessary evening snacking- which is why I think it’s working! I feel much better too. I already workout so am getting those benefits. I just needed to curb the grazing.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Re IM, it’s not recommended for menopausal / peri women. I highly recommend you lift weights and listen to Stacy Sims.
    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Maybe that is my issue. I used to lift heavy and then life got in the way so I stopped in 2018. I need to get back at it!

I don't think heavy lifting and IM fasting are mutually exclusive. I'm a bit suspect of universal 'peri/menopausal women shouldn't do x' blanket statements, we're all so different! I've had a lot of success on it and neither dr I've seen has discouraged me from doing it, in fact one of them includes information about it in his general 'middle age health' printouts.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by echoesofspring View Post
    I don't think heavy lifting and IM fasting are mutually exclusive. I'm a bit suspect of universal 'peri/menopausal women shouldn't do x' blanket statements, we're all so different! I've had a lot of success on it and neither dr I've seen has discouraged me from doing it, in fact one of them includes information about it in his general 'middle age health' printouts.
    I'm also suspicious of a one-size fits all approach and I say this as someone who read Stacey Sims and very much enjoyed her book! I will say that in 2017 I did IM fasting and I had GREAT bloodwork that year. To be fair, my bloodwork is almost always in normal range but it was particularly good that year. The next year, I successfully dropped the last ten pounds I had been wanting to shed through another dieting structure but my bloodwork was not better--in fact it wasn't quite as good!

I am now several years older and things are even more complicated for me. I do lift (though progressive overload rather than strictly "heavy") and it is a great fit for my body! But therein lies the problem for me for IM fasting. I have to fit my workout in the morning and feel like I need to consume food and protein to be really effective with my lifting! And I feel like I need to be a good example of healthy eating and family traditions by having dinner with my kids! So my IM fasting window would have to be really too large to count? I workout before 6 am and I eat dinner at 7 pm and I can't make both work. Though I think this is more an issue of timing. If my schedule was a little more forgiving, I do think it would be worth giving IM fasting a try. I didn't find an 8 hour window to be too tricky. Heck, I bet it might still help if I just cut the tap off after dinner! I might try integrating that back into my routine.

Although, I will share that for religious reasons I fast monthly for a 24 hour time period. I have never been great at this but lately it has been crazy. I like cannot think straight during my fast! Like I cannot focus and it is particularly interesting because I normally LOVE Sundays for the intellectual and spiritual stimulation it provides but like my brain was just getting NOTHING on Fast Sundays! I think I discovered that I'm in too much of a calorie deficit in the way that I eat right now and my brain is starving! I discovered by accident that if I eat a whole bunch of food the day before my fast, I feel better and can function more efficiently. Anyway, my point being that to maintain my weight during during perimenopause with a pretty rigorous lifting and exercise routine, I have to eat fairly frequently if I want to stay in a calorie deficit! Don't know if this story helps anyone or not!

wrote up another post with my experience but was just going to say bisous that if you are essentially already at a healthy weight than yes, you probably do have to eat more b/c there's less 'reserve fuel' for your body to pull on.

I don't do heavy lifting (I'd like to but right now decidedly not too heavy strength training is challenging enough for me) but I don't find working out while fasting to be an issue, in fact sometimes it's just the opposite - I'd rather do pilates fasted and often I'm less hungry after I work out. But again....it sounds like I have more reserves hanging around than you do!
    ~ Dawn

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Kindra, thanks for the Stacy Simms recommendation. I’m going to give a listen to her.

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love the Talbots dress too and plan to pull the trigger along with the AT dress.

Regarding IM, there is a new study linking 8 hour restrictive eating to a 91% higher risk of cardiovascular death. You may want to research further and discuss with your doctor first.

https://newsroom.heart.org/news/8-ho...vascular-death

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post

Regarding IM, there is a new study linking 8 hour restrictive eating to a 91% higher risk of cardiovascular death. You may want to research further and discuss with your doctor first.

https://newsroom.heart.org/news/8-ho...vascular-death
    I read that study, which has yet to be peer reviewed. It was all based on two 24-hour dietary recall questionnaires completed by the participants. So 2 days of dietary info for each participant and the participants weren't even asked if they were doing intermittent fasting on purpose or if they just happened to eat in a shorter window those 2 days. This article covers the limitations of the "study."
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...nds-180983993/

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I read that study, which has yet to be peer reviewed. It was all based on two 24-hour dietary recall questionnaires completed by the participants. So 2 days of dietary info for each participant and the participants weren't even asked if they were doing intermittent fasting on purpose or if they just happened to eat in a shorter window those 2 days. This article covers the limitations of the "study."

I've seen a number of doctors (many who aren't necessarily fasting proponents) push back on it and I think it was misguided for the AMA to publish such a provoking press release about an study that showed a correlation not a causation, hadn't been peer reviewed and was based on recall questionnaires which are notoriously unreliable rather than a randomized controlled trial. I'll wait to see what happens after it's peer reviewed or there are actual studies. Watching how my blood pressure and blood work has changed and paying attention to how my body feels, it's pretty hard for me to believe that I would be healthier if I went back to my old routines.
    ~ Dawn

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast