js13 is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Default Long flight--am I allowed to take clorox wipes and/or baby wipes?

At the end of the month, I am taking a long, international flight (NYC to Spain) w/my 3 and a half month old. I considered not going b/c of swine flu, etc., but my pediatrician advised me that traveling would just become more difficult as my son got older; she encouraged us to go, but simply be sure to wipe down our seating area w/wet ones, clorox wipes, or the like. Has anyone ever had a problem bringing such an item on a plane, given that it is essentially a "wet" product and contains a fluid?

What about baby wipes?

Thanks.
    JEES, NYC

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Never a problem. It's not a liquid product, just wet paper. I would take extra pack with you. You never know when your child will throw up or get diarrhea on a plane. Spare change of clothes for everyone..actually maybe 2 or 3 for the baby. We had one 16 hour flight and went through all the diapers and clothes we had thanks to bad bout of a stomach bug...

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Never a problem for us either. I always carry wipes in the carry on in baggie bundles (easy to take for quick diaper changes), and a big package in the checked luggage. Do the same with the Clorox wipes. Easy Peasy.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

No prob. And it sounds like you're going to have a fun trip, congratulations!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

js13 is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Hate to sound so ignorant, but what do you mean by a "baggie bundle"? I'm assuming it's a prepacked ziplock bag w/all the necessities one needs for one diaper change?

With respect to the clorox wipes, I was considering put a sufficient amount in a ziplock (rather than putting the entire canister in my carry on).
    JEES, NYC

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by js13 View Post
    Hate to sound so ignorant, but what do you mean by a "baggie bundle"?
    I hate diaper changes on airplanes more than about anything. I've had the best luck finding changing tables on international flights. Often, I end up changing in the galley or on the floor near the restroom. There's not usually enough space in the bathroom for changing. Because of this space issue, I try to be as efficient as possible with diaper changes. I pack wipes in Baggies (maybe 3-7 sets of Baggies with wipes inside) before a flight. I also pack plastic grocery bags. I always travel with my small padded diaper changing pad. I make bundles before we fly. I put a wipe Baggie bundle inside a plastic grocery bag with a diaper, and stack many of these in my diaper bag pocket near the pad. When the time comes, I grab a bag, the pad, and my stinky kid, and go to work. I also save those little samples of Desitin that I used to get everywhere (mail, Babies R Us freebie table, etc.). If I might need Desitin, I also include those little tiny packets in my bundles. I've had more than one nearly empty tube of Desitin confiscated at security, but they don't seem to care about the samples.

So, bundles are just prepackaged diaper change packs. When I come back to my seat, all I have in hand is the pad and my kid. Everything else went in the trash. I always bundle dirty diapers in the grocery bags since we can't toss the diaper very far away from other people.