niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default WTF. Passport services didn't return original documents

I went to the post office to get my passport and had to take my naturilization certificate. They said it had to be sent away, but it would be returned with my passport. I get the passport in the mail today, but not naturalization certificate is with it. WTF. They only give you one copy of the certificate when you get naturalized. Now, I have to try and see what happened to it, can I get it back, and if not, how to get another one. I am so POed right now.

ETA. Ok. I got on their site to see what to do, and it could still be in the mail to me. They said it gets returned with the passport or in a separate mailing. I'll give it another week to get to me. I REALLY need that certificate as I don't know if I can easily get another one.
    Last edited by niccig; 02-13-2009 at 11:17 PM.

TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If it doesn't arrive a week or so, try contacting one of the chief staffers at your *local* congressional office. Don't call the office in D.C. - you'll get nowhere. But the in-district staffers can be exceptionally helpful with tricky, multi-agency situations like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by TonFirst View Post
    If it doesn't arrive a week or so, try contacting one of the chief staffers at your *local* congressional office. Don't call the office in D.C. - you'll get nowhere. But the in-district staffers can be exceptionally helpful with tricky, multi-agency situations like this one.
    Great advice thanks.
    I've calmed down. I think it's just coming in a later mailing. I was kind of surprised at the post office when they said I could have everything returned via normal mail or opt for priority mail with tracking. I want tracking on these documents in case anything happens. But then my new social security card came in the normal mail with the warning to be careful to not lose it. Couldn't ANYONE just take that and then get my ID details from other mailings?? I don't understand why we don't have to sign for these documents.

Yeah, they were mailed back separately. I'd forgotten (had my passport forever), but my mom and dad just got them last year and it was several days between.

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    Yeah, they were mailed back separately. I'd forgotten (had my passport forever), but my mom and dad just got them last year and it was several days between.
    Thanks. Ok, I won't worry know unless it's more than two weeks and I don't get it.

I just got new passports a few months back. The time between mailings was about 4-5 days for us.

Radosti is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I know when I became a citizen, I had to send in my green card to get a passport and didn't get the green card back. But I was pretty sure I wasn't supposed to get it back. My parents and brother didn't get their green cards back either. Once you have a passport, you don't need the green card or the naturalization cert. The passport is your proof of citizenship.
    DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Radosti View Post
    I know when I became a citizen, I had to send in my green card to get a passport and didn't get the green card back. But I was pretty sure I wasn't supposed to get it back. My parents and brother didn't get their green cards back either. Once you have a passport, you don't need the green card or the naturalization cert. The passport is your proof of citizenship.
    The green card you should not get back, in return you get the Naturalization Certificate. When you get a passport, you will get the Naturalization certificate back, but in a separate mailing. You still need the Nat. Cert. even after you have the passport.

To the OP, just wait. If you don't get the Nat. Cert. back in 2 weeks then go to the passport office and explain your situation.
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That's crazy! I hope you get it back soon! I had to change my driver's license and they would only take originals of birth certificate, naturalization papers, marriage license. My birth cert is falling apart. Made me wonder what I would do if that happened to my nat. certf. Paper only lasts so long.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post

ETA. Ok. I got on their site to see what to do, and it could still be in the mail to me. They said it gets returned with the passport or in a separate mailing. I'll give it another week to get to me. I REALLY need that certificate as I don't know if I can easily get another one.
    I have to chuckle because I had a cow when I got my passports back with no documentation. I got on the phone immediately only to feel like an idiot when the person noted that the insert specifically says it will be mailed separately. Mine came within a couple days. It's more of a security precaution, like not sending your ATM card with the actual PIN.
    Vivian
    Sydney (4/03)
    Avery (2/09)