Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMine View Post
    So very true.

OP. What state is this located in?
    washington

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would not drive an hour to look at used (or even new/resold) Big Lots Furniture. The furniture in that store tends to be pretty low-end and cheaply constructed. If I am not mistaken, those cushions on the back look like the attached kind. I would take a pass. Also, I have noticed a pattern of people listing this sort of furniture on CL but trying to get more than it sells for new or the same as it sells for new, especially far away locations with stock photos or photos that were obviously taken in a warehouse and not a home. We may be on the same Craigslist and I have run into some sketchy resellers and a lot of stock photos as of late.

I am also trying to buy a nice sectional right now off of Craigslist. Good luck. I am biding my time waiting for what I am looking for in the right corner configuration, not too big and in a color I want. Hope we both find winners soon.
    Last edited by kijip; 02-09-2010 at 01:47 AM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Using a stock photo does seem weird. And how would this person have located a photo without knowing the manufacturer?? And there should be a label sewn in somewhere so they would be able to tell you the manufacturer.

It seems strange to me.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

It seems like it should have a label somewhere. We have bought furniture from some discount stores and warehouses with off name brands in the past. We haven't had too much luck. I guess in our experience you get what you pay for with furniture. I wouldn't drive an hour to see Big Lots furniture. I would wait until a sectional with a better name manufacturer came up for sale. But of course if you need it immediately and it's a good price, then it could be the right decision for you.

Using a stock photo on craigslist for used furniture seems really sketchy. My guess is no good can come of driving to see it.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

It was really bugging me last night that I couldn't find anything on the internet about where the furniture was made. So, I e-mailed Big Lots. They e-mailed me back today. They said that it was made by United Furniture. I don't really know anything about them and I haven't had time to look them up today. Just wanted to let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by kmillini View Post
    It was really bugging me last night that I couldn't find anything on the internet about where the furniture was made. So, I e-mailed Big Lots. They e-mailed me back today. They said that it was made by United Furniture. I don't really know anything about them and I haven't had time to look them up today. Just wanted to let you know.
    And OUCH. The BBB gives United Furniture a "F" rating

http://www.bbb.org/edmonton/business...id=&gen=&lid=1
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

I can't believe you found it! United Furniture (just judging from what I see in the trade mags) is a "container" company. In other words they contract with a Chinese manufacturer to buy shipping containers full of furniture. I realize the ad says "Made in the USA", but they're talking about the fabric. Very often it's actually cheaper and easier to ship components overseas where the hard work (sewing and construction) is done.
    I agree with the "shady" comment. These sofas are $180 to $200 wholesale. That said, it's possible this guy has an inside line and is selling new ones for $400. Even if you buy it new from Big Lots, the upside here is you don't have to care if someone throws up on it, or if it's dead in 3 years. It will be - but if it gets you to a stage where you can safely invest in better furniture, then it may not be a bad way to go.
    Nancy
    DD Cara Flynn 10-25-05
    DD Lilah Jane 10-25-10 (How about that?)

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    I would not drive an hour to look at used (or even new/resold) Big Lots Furniture. The furniture in that store tends to be pretty low-end and cheaply constructed. If I am not mistaken, those cushions on the back look like the attached kind. I would take a pass. Also, I have noticed a pattern of people listing this sort of furniture on CL but trying to get more than it sells for new or the same as it sells for new, especially far away locations with stock photos or photos that were obviously taken in a warehouse and not a home. We may be on the same Craigslist and I have run into some sketchy resellers and a lot of stock photos as of late.

I am also trying to buy a nice sectional right now off of Craigslist. Good luck. I am biding my time waiting for what I am looking for in the right corner configuration, not too big and in a color I want. Hope we both find winners soon.
    thanks for the craigslist warning! i'm actually considering buying from the store direct... it's $100 more than the craigslist one and comes with a 30 day return policy. the seller claims she's only had it for 2 months... college student had to move back home, no room for it (the student part rings true from a google search on her name). now i have to decided if it's worth the drive just to go to the store. and then possibly offer less on the used one, contingent on the "like new condition."

good luck with your sectional search! if you should change your mind and go for a couch/chair combo in a dark blue leather, i can hook you up with a real good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by nov04 View Post
    Using a stock photo does seem weird. And how would this person have located a photo without knowing the manufacturer?? And there should be a label sewn in somewhere so they would be able to tell you the manufacturer.

It seems strange to me.

good question. the trusting person is me would like to think that she bought it at big lots and took the pic from their website. who knows??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast