Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We put in 7 offers before we didn't get outbid in close burbs of Boston. And we ended up in a town and a house that we didn't particularly like. But we needed a place to live. Yes, you are being unreasonable, especially in regards to radon. The systems work.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have made sellers put in radon systems in our last two home purchases. Just so you know, it’s better to buy a house with a system than not as if one house in the area has radon, they probably all do. Around here (Chicago), sellers know that they will have to put one in more often than not. My friend put one in her own, without even testing, as numerous houses on the block had remediation systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd ask yourself why you NEED to move. The house that is too small now will be perfect when the kids leave for college.

Depending on what town you're in, you might be seeking the impossible. In our town, houses are EITHER large OR have a yard. or are 1M+.... the radon is fixable. and frankly, if you're not living in the basement, an ok risk in my mind.

Make sure as many people know you're looking as possible. In our neighborhood, the better houses are purchased before they make it to market. There is a house near me thats been on the market for a month but they want crazy amt of $$ for a tiny old house w/no yard 2 houses away from the railroad tracks.

I feel your pain. We're in a tiny unrenovated 1100sqft home w/4 people 2 dogs, no yard and a boatload worth of stuff. But, unless I want to move out past 495 or more realistically past 91, we're stuck.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ahhh, OK
    So talking about radon, if you mitigate and vent, doesn’t the plume still fall back on your house? I have a very strong family history of cancer and the kids do on both my side and dad’s side which scares the heck out of me. I’ve worked with cancer patients, I left it because I couldn’t take it. It was just too much for me to handle emotionally. These were people like you and me with completely normal lives whose bodies underwent the worst kind of suffering imaginable. You know, we talk about how cruel war is? It is. But let me tell you, the suffering I saw in those cancer patients haunts me every day. I just felt so helpless next to them. I still wake up some days seeing one of the patients I knew without hair and throwing up, hooked to an IV and still smiling the most ghastly smile. She had 2 small daughters and was a school teacher. She died. She was not yet 40.
    So I tend to be very vigilant about carcinogens. Maybe too much. Maybe I’m letting my emotions do the thinking.......
    Thank you all for your experiences, though. And your perspective. It really helps, honestly, even to hear you say ‘you’re being unreasonable’ or to calibrate me ‘you’re not alone’. So thank you.
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    Ahhh, OK
    So talking about radon, if you mitigate and vent, doesn’t the plume still fall back on your house? I have a very strong family history of cancer and the kids do on both my side and dad’s side which scares the heck out of me. I’ve worked with cancer patients, I left it because I couldn’t take it. It was just too much for me to handle emotionally. These were people like you and me with completely normal lives whose bodies underwent the worst kind of suffering imaginable. You know, we talk about how cruel war is? It is. But let me tell you, the suffering I saw in those cancer patients haunts me every day. I just felt so helpless next to them. I still wake up some days seeing one of the patients I knew without hair and throwing up, hooked to an IV and still smiling the most ghastly smile. She had 2 small daughters and was a school teacher. She died. She was not yet 40.
    So I tend to be very vigilant about carcinogens. Maybe too much. Maybe I’m letting my emotions do the thinking.......
    Thank you all for your experiences, though. And your perspective. It really helps, honestly, even to hear you say ‘you’re being unreasonable’ or to calibrate me ‘you’re not alone’. So thank you.
    My husband is a radiation oncologist and very paranoid about radon. (I know I posted a few times on the radon thread.). We had our basement mitigated, and the numbers are under 2. It’s a number he feels comfortable with. He does insist that no one sleeps on the floor in the basement (since that where it collects.). Do you let your kids get dental x-rays? Fly on airplanes? Those are other sources of radiation that are part of daily life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    My husband is a radiation oncologist and very paranoid about radon. (I know I posted a few times on the radon thread.). We had our basement mitigated, and the numbers are under 2. It’s a number he feels comfortable with. He does insist that no one sleeps on the floor in the basement (since that where it collects.). Do you let your kids get dental x-rays? Fly on airplanes? Those are other sources of radiation that are part of daily life.

So the stuff that you posted about your husband is the one thing that made me do a double take and consider. I’m meeting with a mitigation person tomorrow. Aren’t you concerned, though, that it falls back on the house when it vents? Radon is heavier than air so you could expect a radiation plume like effect, no?
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

So the stuff that you posted about your husband is the one thing that made me do a double take and consider. I’m meeting with a mitigation person tomorrow. Aren’t you concerned, though, that it falls back on the house when it vents? Radon is heavier than air so you could expect a radiation plume like effect, no?
    No. A house with radon mitigation is safe. The mitigation systems are designed to work properly. I think you’d be nuts to pass up a house you loved for radon when it’s such a fixable problem. You’re more likely to get cancer from using plastic products and chemicals for cleaning and bathing, most likely.

He’s not concerned. He’s not here now, but I can ask him when he comes back. He’s the type who doesn’t want the kids to get dental X-rays, but he’s fine with mitigating radon.

DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    No. A house with radon mitigation is safe. The mitigation systems are designed to work properly. I think you’d be nuts to pass up a house you loved for radon when it’s such a fixable problem. You’re more likely to get cancer from using plastic products and chemicals for cleaning and bathing, most likely.

Except we have as close to a plastic free home as possible, don’t use cleaning chemicals except lemon and bleach, and I even carry my own glass containers to get takeout if I everr order out �� Yes, I am that nut.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    He’s not concerned. He’s not here now, but I can ask him when he comes back. He’s the type who doesn’t want the kids to get dental X-rays, but he’s fine with mitigating radon.

I would actually really really appreciate your asking him

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast