HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Random Question: How long should I expect my washer and dryer to last?

I have 7 yr old Kenmore elite large capacity washer and dryer. Washer is top loading with agitator (the agitatorless were just coming out then) and I have a gas dryer. My In-laws bought them for us and I did not want to ask them to spend to much--so what we have is the middle of the line (knobs instead of digital controls etc...). So far I've had to have the washer fixed 2x and the dryer once. Other than that, no issues. Can I expect 15+ years from these (like you used to be able to expect from major appliances)?

FWIW, I also have a kenmore fridge that is only 7 years old and will probably not see 10.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

I heard from my washer repairman (who came to look at my washer that fell apart after only 3 years) that the top loaders will last much longer than any front loader.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hoodlims View Post
    I heard from my washer repairman (who came to look at my washer that fell apart after only 3 years) that the top loaders will last much longer than any front loader.
    We have standard kenmore ones like you have. I was also told that being non-digital, the repairs are less costly.

Just make sure you clean out lint catcher and about every 18 months I've had them come out and clean out the lint from inside the dryer. On mine the motor isn't covered and lint can get in there and stop it from working. It happened once, the repair man cleaned out the lint and it started again. I do clean out the lint catcher, but we have a long haired dog and get a lot of dog hair in the dryer lint too.
    Last edited by niccig; 10-26-2011 at 09:23 PM.

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My Kenmore washer and dryer are still going strong at 13 years old. Knocking wood now that I have probably just cursed myself!
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Going strong here at 10 years. Kenmore, top loading, nothing fancy at all.

Beth

maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    :

Just make sure you clean out lint catcher and about every 18 months I've had them come out and clean out the lint from inside the dryer. On mine the motor isn't covered and lint can get in there and stop it from working. It happened once, the repair man cleaned out the lint and it started again. I do clean out the lint catcher, but we have a long haired dog and get a lot of dog hair in the dryer lint too.
    Is there a way for a regular person to check that? Our front-loader Kenmore dryer (less than 3 years old) is flashing a big F 70 and stopping the drying cycle all.the.time now. I can stop it and start over but it's not working properly and the book says to call someone whenever "F" shows. I want to try something first before spending the money!
    Mom to my little girl 3/12/07
    ....and boy 8/04/09

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by maylips View Post
    Is there a way for a regular person to check that? Our front-loader Kenmore dryer (less than 3 years old) is flashing a big F 70 and stopping the drying cycle all.the.time now. I can stop it and start over but it's not working properly and the book says to call someone whenever "F" shows. I want to try something first before spending the money!
    I've had the repairman out twice to do this and he has to take the entire drum out of the dryer, then he gets in with the shop vaccum and cleans it all out.

He told me that even by cleaning out the lint catcher every time, lint will still get in under the dryer and can stop the motor - he said it's a poor design to not have the motor covered from the lint.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have the same type of washer and an electric dryer, both kenmore, middle of the line at the time (2001). Still going strong and have never needed any repairs even after sitting unused in storage for 2+ years. Just hooked them back up and they were just fine!
    I keep eyeing the nice looking new sets but I can't get rid of my perfectly fine one because it looks boring and ugly!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

we bought our whirlpool washer and dryer in 2000. we had to replace our dryer this year, washer is still going strong and its beem almost 12 yrs.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maylips View Post
    I have no idea re: your particular model, but YouTube is full of repair videos. I found one for my exact (11 year old) dryer when I need to take the drum out to replace the felt strip that is around the lip of the drum. It was suuuuuper easy.

I also bought the part off eBay for 75% less than what Sears was selling it for. (Lots of the videos on YouTube will also direct you to a store that sells the parts cheaper.)

My Kenmore washer is a front loader, 11 years old. It is doing ok. It has been repaired once, apparently the replacement part is updated and better than the original. They are plain jane with knobs. I plan to stick with knobs vs. electronics for future washers and dryers too, if possible. The way the front loader spins and vibrates, I can't imagine that's good for the longevity of any electronics!