Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Planetbox 22% off until 4/20

FYI; planetbox website is running earthday special with 22% off their lunchboxes. It's good till 20th, i just grabbed one for DS1!
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    FYI; planetbox website is running earthday special with 22% off their lunchboxes. It's good till 20th, i just grabbed one for DS1!
    Thanks for posting! I need to pick up a second one. We love ours! Going strong since school day number one!
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love these, but what are the odds that The Biscuit will use one in kindy in the fall and not lose it? Because SPENDY.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

Quote Originally Posted by Ms B View Post
    I love these, but what are the odds that The Biscuit will use one in kindy in the fall and not lose it? Because SPENDY.
    I agree, very spendy! But it was so worth it for me out of daily use for 2 years without having to fiddle with all the pieces and nooks! Plus DS1 eats really well for a young kid, and is always starving. It served him well, and he never lost it cuz he's generally possessive of his things. Especially items that are his "favorites!" Which this lunhchbox is! Now if you were talking about DS2, I would hesitate to spend that much money on him cuz 1) he's a very picky eater with quite few allergens to avoid, and 2) can see him losing his lunch bag!

Since the old lunchbox is hand me down essentially, and already have 2.5 years use out of it, I'll give it to DS2 this fall. Won't feel too bad if he lose it and I'll just buy him a cheap one from target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I agree, very spendy! But it was so worth it for me out of daily use for 2 years without having to fiddle with all the pieces and nooks! Plus DS1 eats really well for a young kid, and is always starving. It served him well, and he never lost it cuz he's generally possessive of his things. Especially items that are his "favorites!" Which this lunhchbox is! Now if you were talking about DS2, I would hesitate to spend that much money on him cuz 1) he's a very picky eater with quite few allergens to avoid, and 2) can see him losing his lunch bag!

Since the old lunchbox is hand me down essentially, and already have 2.5 years use out of it, I'll give it to DS2 this fall. Won't feel too bad if he lose it and I'll just buy him a cheap one from target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That's all helpful, thanks! Is there a moderately cheaper alternative that we could try out for kindy and then put into rotation later on if it works out? (Because we do not runt he dishwasher every day and I know that I probably am not up for hand washing one of these every day).
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

*Knock on wood* DD has never lost or forgotten her lunchbox. It's essentially the only thing in her backpack as a kindergartener. Now, jackets and water bottles? Yup, she forgets those on occasion. She even lost a water bottle on day 3 of school and it has never shown up (such a bummer because it was a beautiful teal color!). Other than that water bottle, everything has eventually come home. Nothing leaves this house without a Mabel's Label!

I love our Planetbox! Other than the weight (it is hefty for a kindergartener), we love everything about it: not a lot of waste/trash, she can open it easily, and no parts to get lost. She has a pretty good track record of finishing all of her lunch too, which is awesome. And if there is anything she doesn't finish, she brings it home and finishes it after school. It's a fantastic way to monitor how much she's eating. I've volunteered at the school a few times during lunch and it amazes me how many kids 1) have so much trash, 2) can't open all of their containers independently, and 3) how much food gets wasted. I realize we're lucky in that regard; the Planetbox rocks for us.
    That's all helpful, thanks! Is there a moderately cheaper alternative that we could try out for kindy and then put into rotation later on if it works out? (Because we do not runt he dishwasher every day and I know that I probably am not up for hand washing one of these every day).
    Haha, funny you should mention that! That's exactly why I need to pick up a second! I hand wash ours every single night and I would really like another to rotate. Yes, there are lots of other lunchbox options! For stainless steel, there are LunchBots. If you don't mind plastic and want a cheaper price-point, there's the Yumbox and the Bentgo (I have a Yumbox as our "backup" and have never needed it or have been tempted to switch from our Planetbox, if that says anything). For the most affordable option, Easy Lunchboxes and Ziploc have their own versions of divided containers.
    Jennifer

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jam224 View Post
    *Knock on wood* DD has never lost or forgotten her lunchbox. It's essentially the only thing in her backpack as a kindergartener. Now, jackets and water bottles? Yup, she forgets those on occasion. She even lost a water bottle on day 3 of school and it has never shown up (such a bummer because it was a beautiful teal color!). Other than that water bottle, everything has eventually come home. Nothing leaves this house without a Mabel's Label!

I love our Planetbox! Other than the weight (it is hefty for a kindergartener), we love everything about it: not a lot of waste/trash, she can open it easily, and no parts to get lost. She has a pretty good track record of finishing all of her lunch too, which is awesome. And if there is anything she doesn't finish, she brings it home and finishes it after school. It's a fantastic way to monitor how much she's eating. I've volunteered at the school a few times during lunch and it amazes me how many kids 1) have so much trash, 2) can't open all of their containers independently, and 3) how much food gets wasted. I realize we're lucky in that regard; the Planetbox rocks for us..
    Yeahthat!!

I have a kindergartener and 1st grader and both have had Planetboxes for about 2 or 3 years or so. We got them on mega-sale when PBK had them at deep discount, so we got the cute PBK cases too. Neither kid has forgotten them at school (and DD is super forgetful!). DS has forgotten his Funtainer at school here and there (but then gets it the next day).

I totally agree that it eliminates SO much waste. I am shocked how much waste is from ziploc bags and the like. And yes, easy-to-open and no difficult containers so they can eat their lunch quickly. and No missing lids and the like.

They are also very easy to clean. Those easy lunchboxes and other plastic bento-boxes - they are a PITA to clean when you have oilier things (cheese, etc). Oil loves to stick to plastic. Stainless steel is soo much easier to clean.

thanks for this thread and i'm going to go on the site to see if i need anything. i have purchased a lot of things on that site (the ice packs, the colorful dividers, the fork/spoon, the magnets, etc) so if anybody has any questions on specific items i'd be happy to answer.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-20-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    We got them on mega-sale when PBK had them at deep discount, so we got the cute PBK cases too.
    Funny, that's when I bought ours too! 😊 DD wasn't keen on the lunch bag, so I bought a more neutral one in a turquoise color and it's been working perfectly!
    Jennifer

OK, you all may be talking me into one. Is the Rover everyone's preferred model?

PS -- Jennifer - just saw your sig. Congrats!!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

Quote Originally Posted by jam224 View Post

Haha, funny you should mention that! That's exactly why I need to pick up a second! I hand wash ours every single night and I would really like another to rotate. Yes, there are lots of other lunchbox options! For stainless steel, there are LunchBots. If you don't mind plastic and want a cheaper price-point, there's the Yumbox and the Bentgo (I have a Yumbox as our "backup" and have never needed it or have been tempted to switch from our Planetbox, if that says anything). For the most affordable option, Easy Lunchboxes and Ziploc have their own versions of divided containers.
    jam224 gave lots of good alternative options! The ones I tried and have on rotation are the lunchbox and the zliploc divided rectangle containers; those two are RARELY USED, because DS1 had some difficulty opening his ziploc container. DH uses those for himself now. I wouldn't want to give those two options to DS2 largely because of his potential struggles to open it, etc.

I bought the rover 3 years ago for DS1 when he was starting his PreK years, and it's perfect size for that age. Now for him as a rising 1st grader, i'm getting him the launch box mainly because he eats a ton!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast