Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think that there are some kids who don't need as much sleep. Whether that is more common in ADHD kids, I don't know. I do think it is more common for ADHD kids to not GET enough sleep because they have trouble falling asleep, are more easily aroused and do not have the impulse control to stay in bed.

DS3 has trouble with all of those and he does not sleep as much as other kids his age. However, he does NEED more sleep and I wish he could get it because the rare times he does get a good night's sleep he is a different and much more pleasant child.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Interestingly, younger DD is definitely a better sleeper than she has ever been since starting meds. The first week was bad, but after that it seemed much easier for her to fall asleep and stay asleep.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gummibear View Post
    Hmmm, it's been my understanding that sleep deprivation can cause or worsen ADHD symptoms.
    That's what we've been told.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My 9 year old with ADHD is extremely sleep sensitive. If he is sleep deprived it is a disaster! He completely decompensates by the end of the next day. We are pretty rigid about bedtimes and it has been difficult for others to understand, but they also don't usually get the pleasure of the fallout if we aren't rigid!
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So...how do you get your kid to sleep? DD goes to bed around 8:30 but is still awake at 10!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

lyt202 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    So...how do you get your kid to sleep? DD goes to bed around 8:30 but is still awake at 10!
    Melatonin has been great for allowing DS to wind down and allow himself to sleep. Before we started it, there were many nights when he would be overtired and run around in circles for an hour before crashing and getting to sleep. Now we give him chewable melatonin an hour before bedtime and he's asleep within minutes of finishing his bedtime routine.

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    DD1 is 4.75 years and I strongly suspect she has ADHD (and I have for a while). She has a higher likelihood of having it because DH has it as an adult, and it runs in my family as well. She has not been diagnosed however.

In any case, we have had increasing bedtime issues with DD1. Lately she has been up past 10 pm, sometimes until 10:30 pm. Still bouncing off the walls. And gets up between 7 and 8. *I* have been going to bed before she is asleep. It's exhausting. She occasionally naps but not for very long. Is this a common manifestation of ADHD? Any suggestions?
    OMG you just described my older DD. I too suspect she might have ADHD but I haven't diagnosed her either. No advice tho as I'm struggling with this issue as well. Till recently her sleep has been ok as we sticked to the routine as much as possible. But last week or so we haven't been following the routine and she's being going to bed at different times so I'm suspecting this is the reason. I find things are much better when we stick to her routine.
    Last edited by Dream; 08-21-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

DS sleeps a good chunk at night-I would say 8:30 until 6/6:30 but dropped naps at 2-2.5 years old. DD is a good sleeper-does not have the sleep issues that DS did. It took and still takes melatonin to get his mind to shut off. Something I read on additude magazine's website seemed to indicate that some people need to take meds at bedtime to help their brains settle down. I know mine goes a million miles an hour. I have to be pretty exhausted or listening to my kindle to sleep. So yeah, my advice is melatonin... and actually I read something that melatonin isn't recommended for kids EXCEPT those with ADHD. DS would to the bouncing off the wall thing too-I think being overly tired isn't helpful
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i think its true...."sleep begets sleep." i don't have any official dx ADHD, but i'm sure my 5 y/o kindi kiddo would meet criteria. he seems to not need much sleep...up till 8 or 9 if i let him but always up again by 630 or 7am. but if I help him sleep more, consistently he is SO much better. not wild and impulsive, not clumsy and hurting himself all teh time. can sit and focus. my older dd and yonger ds follow a similar pattern, although nto to the extreme of ds1.

as far as getting more sleep...for us, its routine, routine routine. every single night. no exceptions. (that is so hard for me, as WOTH mama). we aim for:

230 or 300 - 500 big outdoor play time, pool, etc.
    500 - 530 bath
    530 - 600 dinner/clean up
    615 - 700 or maybe 715 reading time (he loves to read and be read too...would sit much longer if we would allow).
    715 brush teeth, take melatonin 1 mg (not always, just on occasion if we are way off and behind on sleep) and lights off. i have room darkening shades.

this is MURDER on these long summer nights, but ds is like a whole new person. otherwise he will sometims crash for an afternoon nap starting anywhere from 2 - 5, wake an hour later cranky as can be. then up late, up early and so on.

he is at his best when his days are "play hard, sleep hard." we also homeschool, so we have the flexibility in our days.

I think regardless, sleep hygeine is SO important. no suger/caffeine in afternoon or evening. no movies/tv/screens/lights in room or after dinner. routine with whatever you like...bath, jamies, song, prayers, story. the routine teaches the body and mind sleep is coming. and consistent bed time and wake time.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

I agree with the sleep hygiene. We have cut out screens after supper-period which has really helped DS wind down. We do supper, play time if there is any time, showers/change clothes (shower is every other night still), and then around 7:30 or 7:40 do teeth/potty/melatonin and then stories. Melatonin wears off for DS in about 30-40 min so melatonin and then 15 min of stories and then some breathing exercises and stretching in bed is what is working. He sees a psychologist and she worked with us on a bedtime wind down-he doesn't do all of them but does "bunny breathing"-5 slow breaths with a stuffed animal on his chest. His animals take turns. So we do one animal, a big arms over head stretch, the second animal, another stretch, then a hug and kiss and a few more breaths as we leave. What used to be an hour long ordeal is now over in 3 minutes. SO much better and he is so much happier. More exercise during the day helps too
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast