Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cutie vs Clementine Oranges - Difference?

Here's my fruit ignorance. Is there a difference?

My kids gobbled up two 5 lb boxes of "Cuties" in the past two months. I loved it. They were easy to peel and everyone liked them.

I bought a different box labeled clementines and so not a hit. They look the same on the outside, but the inside was much meatier. It was harder for my 2 year old to chew. 5 year old didn't like peeling them because more skin stuck to the fruit. I thought they tasted about the same.

So did I just get a funky box of clementines or are cuties a different fruit?

I could be wrong, but I think cuties are just a brand name for clementines. My guess is that you got a funky box.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tylersmama View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think cuties are just a brand name for clementines. My guess is that you got a funky box.
    That's what I thought too. Cutie is smart, the brand name they picked is really catchy and sticks in your head.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Right, Cuties are a brand of clementines. I find that the quality of the clementines (brand aside) are all over the board, which makes me suspect that there are actually a few types of tangerines that are sold as clementines. The season for clementines ended a little while ago, so I wouldn't expect to get good ones again until next winter.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Thanks ladies. Yes, I think we're out of season now which is probably part of the issue. Bummer, since both kids loved them.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

yeah... we just bought our last box of cuties for the season. The boys were begging for them but there were too many hard or funky tasting ones in there! Bring on the summer fruit... peaches, nectarines and plums! YUM!

poppy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I thought cuties had no seeds and clementines sometimes do. I like cuties better. I put out cuties as snacks but none of my guests wanted any.
    I don't know why. Is that a good snack?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I thought cuties had no seeds and clementines sometimes do. I like cuties better. I put out cuties as snacks but none of my guests wanted any.
    I don't know why. Is that a good snack?
    I think those are like the best snack ever I LOVE them. However, like pp, I have found a wide range of differences. Whenever the crate of clementines went on sale at Publix I would buy them. Sometimes they were fantastic, other times, less so.

cmo is online now Gold level (500+ posts)

I've noticed the further away from January (peak season) we get, the more hit-or-miss the quality. The good news is that the next season will start mid-summer, when the south-of-the-equator crop comes in. That is, if you don't mind imported fruit. :-)

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tylersmama View Post
    We love them
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast