Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Best time to buy appliances? Sears?

My wall oven is dying a slow death (electronic issues) and I am not sure if it will last through the holidays. Right now, the best match to replace my oven is at Sears. I have checked out Lowes, Sears Outlet and Home Depot, but they don't have much of a selection (I have a wall microwave/oven combo).

Has anyone had good luck on Black Friday? Can anyone suggest what is the best way to get a good deal? Any promotions to look out for?

I am really trying to save as much $ as possible....I am stressing out as this will be an unexpected (and $$) purchase. TIA!!

Don't have a specific answer to your question, but I did want to mention that if you decide on an oven at Sears (or anywhere other than Home Depot) check with HD to see if they carry it. Because they'll beat anyone else's price by 10%. We got an amazing deal on our range hood that way, and even put it on the HD card with 6 months of no interest (we paid it off before the 6 months were up.)
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

If it's a Kenmore brand your best bet at this point is probably black friday or one of their friends and family sales that is held quarterly on a Sunday. Not sure when the last one of the year will be. We bought our washer and dryer during a friends and family sale night.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Typically, "lesser" holidays are the best time to buy appliances. That is when they go on sale (ie: labor day, memorial day, president's day, etc.). However, you might be out of luck, b/c I think it's all major holidays from here until the end of the yr. If I were you, I'd shop around, figure out which unit(s) you like and then just wait to see if there is a sale and then buy when they go on sale. If you are open to brands, sometimes they have nice open/returned units (sears and all hardware stores all seem to have at least some of these), and that might be a chance to score a good deal.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Sears Friends and Family is happening right now and ending in a few hours at 4am 10/3, CST!! It's only an extra 15% off appliances, though, so it may not be a huge tragedy if you miss it.

I did notice that they are having a sale until 10/6 on appliances, including up to 30% off double ovens and up to 20% off Kenmore appliances (I don't know if these stack, but rather doubt it):
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/v_10153_1...nces&adCell=W2

One last thing: the last time I had to make a large Sears purchase, I bought gift cards online at a slight discount. This saved me between 7-8%. Try Cardpool.com and PlasticJungle.com.

Sorry about your oven. They always go at the worst time, don't they?

I have had truly horrid service from Sears when buying appliances, more than once. I will never buy an appliance from them again. Never.

In addition to HD, Lowea, etc, you might try a local shop.

Catherine

jvs195 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by truly scrumptious View Post
    Don't have a specific answer to your question, but I did want to mention that if you decide on an oven at Sears (or anywhere other than Home Depot) check with HD to see if they carry it. Because they'll beat anyone else's price by 10%. We got an amazing deal on our range hood that way, and even put it on the HD card with 6 months of no interest (we paid it off before the 6 months were up.)
    sorry to hijack, but I'd like HD to price match a dryer at Best Buy. What does HD require to show the price?

Quote Originally Posted by jvs195 View Post
    sorry to hijack, but I'd like HD to price match a dryer at Best Buy. What does HD require to show the price?
    You can bring any kind of ad, or printout of the online webpage showing the price. I think we actually went to Sears and got them to give us a printout of the price showing the promotions, but any old printout should do as long as it has the price you want them to beat. Remember, they won't just match the price, they'll beat it by 10%, as long as they carry the same model (they carry most models and brands, even if it is special order only.)
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd skip all of the above (Sears is ok) and I would recommend an independent appliance store. I went to one that people kept raving about and the selection was fantastic. Prices were a bit higher but they also had deals, rebates, etc.. The best part was the staff knew what they were talking about.

Beth

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Liz - I will PM you a rec locally. I think you are in New England?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast